Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: insurance  (Read 11009 times)

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
Re: insurance
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 09:06:48 pm »

Well said COLIN.   I could not agree more.........  :-))
1 Small Part of  "OMRA,s" Great Team

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:12 pm »

Guys.......this will get locked or worse  :police: if you continue....... :o ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:34 pm »

Craig,
How can you be disappointed about a "Ours is better than yours, prove it competition".
It is not a useful "debate" at all and it is making some posters look very set and opinionated.
"Careful to stifle opportunity of debate"
If it was a debate and not pure point scoring the posts would have remained.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 09:47:09 pm »

around and around and around we go, soon to disappear up the fundamental orifice.
Your right Derek, enoughs enough, its all been said, more than once
 :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »

Passionate about insurance???????

Surely it's simply a question of whether one of the available policies meets your needs.

And don't forget that whatever the policy might say, the claims experience can be something else again!

Colin

it is to an extent but for a newcomer to the hobby with little knowledge, lets not forget we've all been there !

information about what they're actually covered for helps ! as you will have read those who know what the policies cover have freely given the info

some policies are different to others, as some societies are different some policies have clauses for types of power craft or size used etc.

as for "the claims experience" this is a minefield in itself and perhaps others who contributed to this thread  may have better knowledge in this area ?
one thing i can say is health and safety play's a big part in this and it helps if societies have at least one person who understands the legislation set out by the hes regarding best practice and safety along with having the correct guidance set out for its members.

without going round in circles !

it may be nice if there was a section on the forum for new comers regarding insurance with some type of guidance. ie cc limits,boat sizes,boat classes covered, cover level, health and safety requirements etc   
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 11:32:20 pm »

tmbc......I think the point being made is there is little point having a repository of 3rd part comments ...........little point leading a newcomer to model boating reading such information

With any legal document, the only salient points are those covered & yes sometimes in the small print in the individual contract or rules of the policy

In OZ we have a plethora of Health Insurance companies.......I just happen to be a member of our Governments Medibank Private.....the book of rules has nearly as many words as the King Georges Bible........ {-) ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

PeterRev

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »

As the MPBA insurance has been mentioned in this dialogue maybe I should put some facts out there.
Firstly Royal Sun Alliance is declining to take on Public Liability Insurance so we are in the process of changing to Hiscox Insurance but the cover is pretty much the same.  So what do you get :-
1 Public Liability cover for £5,000,000 which is available worldwide although I advise checking prior to use outside the ECC in case there are local restrictions. Also make sure you have the landowner's permission when using private waters.
2 Cover for abuse concerning children/vulnerable adults providing you abide by the MPBA Child Protection Policy.
3. Member to member cover for Clubs and Associations.
4. Cover for legal proceeding brought under the Health and Safety at work Act providing you abide by the MPBA Health and Safety rules.
5. No cover is provided for running Gas Turbine powered models.
6  Boat to boat damage on the water is not covered as this is considered to be a hazard of the hobby

MPBA Insurance Rep

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 02:29:26 pm »

Thanks for the weighing in Peter.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

midships

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »

hi all
thanks to all who have given their input regarding insurance ,this will all be taken on board when makeing my choice
i am glad my requested prompted such a wide debate, my only comment would be that if i had been boating for any length of time where i felt that insurance was required i should not have asked the question at all but as a lone boater running fast offshore type boats or any boat  when not attached to a club any information i can obtain will all be usefull
new boat will not be here till june saving up the pennies
thanks to all who replied ,sorry if i wasted any bodys time
regards  howard
midships

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 08:35:23 am »

As the MPBA insurance has been mentioned in this dialogue maybe I should put some facts out there.
Firstly Royal Sun Alliance is declining to take on Public Liability Insurance so we are in the process of changing to Hiscox Insurance but the cover is pretty much the same.  So what do you get :-
1 Public Liability cover for £5,000,000 which is available worldwide although I advise checking prior to use outside the ECC in case there are local restrictions. Also make sure you have the landowner's permission when using private waters.
2 Cover for abuse concerning children/vulnerable adults providing you abide by the MPBA Child Protection Policy.
3. Member to member cover for Clubs and Associations.
4. Cover for legal proceeding brought under the Health and Safety at work Act providing you abide by the MPBA Health and Safety rules.
5. No cover is provided for running Gas Turbine powered models.
6  Boat to boat damage on the water is not covered as this is considered to be a hazard of the hobby

MPBA Insurance Rep

from your above post can you clarify what mpba membership covers as you have only mentioned member to member,does mpba cover member to public member in own right(individual) also can you clarify that there's still a maximum cc of 35cc for ic and cover doesn't cover coastal and tidal waters,
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

PeterRev

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 09:58:40 am »

Public Liability is exactly that, it covers injury to members of the public by a member. Yes, I can confirm that the engine size limit is 35 cc and the policy does not cover operations on coastal and tidal waters. I hope this answers your query.

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 01:49:30 pm »

thank you very much peter :-))
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

phillnjack2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:30 pm »

well now as far as insuring a model boat its a bit of myth that many are covered as this is not really true .

for example a model boat 60 inches long with a 15cc engine is not allowed to go over 7mph on the upper thames. FACT
its also supposed to be licenced by the environment agency and meet with their specs, FACT (not possible to pass)

so with speed limits being stupidly slow you would be breaking the local bylaws and thus insurance will be null and void.

also no insurance from anyone will cover racing another boat unless its an organised event (read the small print )
as for third party indemnity youl find that your not covered if your breaking the law at the time of accident.

so for a slow plodding boat insurance can be got, but for anything over 10mph its not worth the paper its written on, unless at organised events.!!!!

would you seriously expect a £12 per year policy to cover a model boat doing 50mph on a river crashing into the side of "£300,000 motor boat and
putting a big hole in the side of it causing around £20,000 worth of damage ?  there is not a chance of it being covered. definitely not by MPBA.

ive put this to many insurance brokers about using models , you will not be covered if exceeding the speed limit !!!!

public liability only is ever in force if your NOT breaking any laws at the time and reasonable safety measures have been put into place.,
this could mean a cordoned off area of river or lake for organised event etc !!
by going faster than the speed limit you are breaking the law and public liability can and will be null and void.

any decent broker will point this out IF YOU ASK THE QUESTION !!!
just remember the small bit about  as long as you abide by the MPBA rules, and check out exactly what is covered, as if not mentioned its not covered !!!.
MPBA don't mention anything about racing your boats on non club events and on waters where the public have full access to the water at all times.

to run a model power boat and be fully insured for the general public liability it would need to be drawn up specifically.

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 03:13:03 am »

well now as far as insuring a model boat its a bit of myth that many are covered as this is not really true .

Many are covered - no myth.

for example a model boat 60 inches long with a 15cc engine is not allowed to go over 7mph on the upper thames. FACT
its also supposed to be licenced by the environment agency and meet with their specs, FACT (not possible to pass)

An outlandish example to most people in the UK who go nowhere near the Thames.

so with speed limits being stupidly slow you would be breaking the local bylaws and thus insurance will be null and void.

There are no speed limits on any waters local to me - so an irrelevance, and I suspect to most people too - my opinion, consequently not a fact either.

also no insurance from anyone will cover racing another boat unless its an organised event (read the small print )
as for third party indemnity youl find that your not covered if your breaking the law at the time of accident.

There is no racing except at organised events - it's self explanatory, you need organisation to race, else it'd be just be 'out for a razz around'. There is much case law that suggests that Public Liability insurance does not end where a law is broken.

so for a slow plodding boat insurance can be got, but for anything over 10mph its not worth the paper its written on, unless at organised events.!!!!

You've failed to explain how for most people away from a specific part of the Thames, why this is the case - you do not need to race to go fast, or need to be in the presence of other boats.

would you seriously expect a £12 per year policy to cover a model boat doing 50mph on a river crashing into the side of "£300,000 motor boat and putting a big hole in the side of it causing around £20,000 worth of damage ?  there is not a chance of it being covered. definitely not by MPBA.

If reasonable care had been taken, I would expect the insurer to honour their 5000000 pound indemnity - who's to say that the 300 grand boat owner didn't cause the incident? You have absolutely no proof that it would not be covered - You do have your opinion though.

ive put this to many insurance brokers about using models , you will not be covered if exceeding the speed limit !!!!

Brokers do not make the rules - insurers do - so again, an opinion presented as fact.

public liability only is ever in force if your NOT breaking any laws at the time and reasonable safety measures have been put into place.,
this could mean a cordoned off area of river or lake for organised event etc !!
by going faster than the speed limit you are breaking the law and public liability can and will be null and void.

Opinion presented as fact again.

any decent broker will point this out IF YOU ASK THE QUESTION !!!

Any decent broker will point out their opinion - nothing more.

just remember the small bit about  as long as you abide by the MPBA rules, and check out exactly what is covered, as if not mentioned its not covered !!!.

Abiding by the rules of the assoc. providing your insurance cover would seem to be taking reasonable care.

MPBA don't mention anything about racing your boats on non club events and on waters where the public have full access to the water at all times.

Those may well be non-mpba sanctioned, so there may be a reasonable expectation of not being covered for events outside the mpba's sanction.

to run a model power boat and be fully insured for the general public liability it would need to be drawn up specifically.

Which is indeed what the MPBA and BMPRS (and many other associations) providers have done.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 09:18:57 am »

Well, with all issues addressed, I think we'll leave it there.

Topic locked - PM if you have anything further to say.   :police:

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.