Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry C does some turning & milling and builds a new steam plant.  (Read 92566 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry C does some turning & milling and builds a new steam plant.
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2014, 08:44:04 pm »

Don't worry, if it's of interest or educational, stick it on. I love learning.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2014, 08:49:38 pm »

This just about sums it up......
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2014, 09:09:38 pm »

One of the jobs that the spark erosion business did was to use very fine wire and spark erosion to cut known irregular cracks in the blades of huge steam turbine blades in order to evaluate various means of crack detection. While I was there they were"cracking" various blades on a complete rotor in a big tank under water or some special solution.
Isn't technology marvellous?
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2014, 09:14:30 pm »

Indeed it is, I once witnessed an RN technician inspect all the compressor and turbine blades in a Harrier engine after a birdstrike, he sat on top of the aircraft and used an endoscope thro a small inspection panel. My dad use to use some stuff callre Ardrox (I think) it involved various aerosols and a magnet....

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2014, 07:18:35 pm »

Today I made flywheels. Used 6 BA tap for grub screw instead of 3mm.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: July 03, 2014, 10:25:10 pm »

I forgot to show how I drilled the 6 holes. They are cosmetic and lose a bit weight too.  I put the flywheels together on a 5 mm shaft and put them in the milling vise with a parallel behind to protect vise base. Clamped it all up and removed the shaft and put it in the Jacobs chuck shipped on the headstock spindle. Adjusted the cross and vertical slides until flywheels would slide over the shaft. Backed off saddle and zeroed vertical and cross slide wheels. Replaced shaft with centre drill. Raised the vertical slide until happy with position of bottom hole. Read off distance moved by slide. This is the radius of the hole circle. Double this gives the Pitch Circle Diameter or P.C.D.. In the Zeus Tables is a table/set of diagrams entitled "Co-ordinates For Locating Equally Spaced Holes In Jig Boring". This table gives a b c.......factors for various numbers of holes.  Multiply each a b c.....factor by the P.C.D.. The results give the amount to move each slide to move the drill to the centre of each hole. Just remember to zero the wheels before each movement.  At each position, centre drill, drill the hole and deburr with a countersink bit.  I made two flywheels at the same time and deburred the blind sides by hand after removing from vise.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: July 03, 2014, 10:57:01 pm »

Ah yes, the co-ordinate method, very handy little book is the Zeus. The ML10 I am picking up tomorrow comes with a small rotary table, so that will come in handy. Excellent work Jerry, keep it up....

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: July 03, 2014, 11:07:25 pm »

Nick, is it possible to get a rotary table that would fit on my vertical slide? And could I make one?
I've never been up close and personal with one. Am jealous.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2014, 11:14:40 pm »

Hi Jerry, would this fit? you could make one, but you would need screwcutting facilities to make an accurate worm gear.
http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/2-3-4--Small-Rotary-Table---4-Slot-782630.html#SID=473

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: July 04, 2014, 12:04:37 am »

That'll do. Bought it. Thanks Nick.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2014, 12:14:26 am »

you may need to make an adaptor plate, as it is a little wider I think than the Peatol slide, which according to their website is 2 inches......

wrongtimeben

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2014, 12:21:24 am »

Hi there.

Just realised I haven't checked in on your build for a while. Too much training  for snowdonian cycling! It still makes me grin thinking about it. 'Twas a great day.

Anyway, the engines coming along a treat.  Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

How on earth are you going to cope with all those fork tines out of alignment?!!! It's like nails n a blackboard!

Cheerio, Ben.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2014, 12:26:14 am »

Ben, you're now the proud owner of a rotary table. See how we look after you!
Jem.

wrongtimeben

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2014, 02:54:39 pm »

Good work! Now lots of photos of it in use please  :-)

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:34 pm »

Jerry,
Here arsome pics of a 6" dia Rotary table that I modified recently.

No1.
The 6" table that has " Elliot " cast on the side.
No2.
I had a spare 3-jaw after replacing the chinese one supplied with my lathe with a 3-jaw Pratt-Burnered which is very much more accurate, I removed the body from the screwed back plate and made a stub mandrel which was a push fit in the 3- jaw and the same in the rotary table center which allowed the 2- parts to be inline when assembled.
No3
I milled 2- slotts opposite one another in the chuck to clamp the the 3-jaw to the table and made the clamps from some black angle iron.
No 4.
3-jaw chuck clamped to Rotary table.
No5
Asssembly mounted on milling table ready to drill end cap holes.

It's a bit big but it fits below the mill head and it's quite amazing the uses that can be found for it and it sure saves a lot of time.

Best of luck when you get the rotary table.
George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2014, 10:22:24 am »

George, thanks for that.  It seems a useful combination. Will spend a few hours on YouTube studying. However, am now full into wedding mode, big day -7days and counting. We both in mad cleaning mode. Still got to fit in long runs in prep for this years Tour de Môn Canol, 76 miles. Got tremendous physical benefit from Etape. I can climb much better now.  Summer shorts getting a bit tight around the thighs.  Gut still not suited to Lycra though!! It gets in the way of my knees. Looking forward to the Grand Départ. What an honour for Yorkshire.
Did manage to make 4 eccentrics yesterday. Pics when I've got a minute.
Jerry

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:59 pm »

Wedding over, family back to four corners of the world and all went off splendidly. So can get back into the workshop.
Eccentrics.
              Simple instructions from the man take all the mumbo jumbo out of eccentrics. I had four bits of scrap stainless, put one in the 4 jaw, faced off the end, turned down to size and turned the grooves. Parted off to size. Made one more out of stainless because one of the scrap pieces was unsuitable. Made the rest from brass. Put one piece in the milling vice and found the centre. Fitted a stop in the jaws then moved the cross slide 3 mm and drilled then reamed to 5mm. Repeated on the remaining three pieces.
Drilled and tapped a length of 5mm round for an 8 BA cap screw and washer. Put this piece in the three jaw and added one of the eccentric pieces clamped to the jaws with the cap screw. Turned the boss to 12 mm diameter very slowly taking only 2 thou cuts or it slips in the jaws.   Finally, drilled and tapped the holes for the securing 6 BA grub screw. Again used a stop to make it quick and easy to do each piece.
Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2014, 10:09:55 pm »

OK, that's enough.  Sorry Jerry but I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting any more.  The way you are describing this engine build and the lovely pieces you are making are getting me increasingly itchy to have a go.  I have no more space for tools and equipment, nor the funds to equip a model engineering setup, nor the time to do all the stuff I want.  So please stop tempting me!!   >:-o

On the other hand, if you feel compelled to keep showing us how you are getting on, I will just have to keep reading and enjoying.  Oh, the dilemma!    %%

Great job Jerry

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: July 15, 2014, 10:52:26 pm »

Had me worried for a mo there Greg. My lathe and all its gear takes up no room at all, could probably hang it all on the wall somewhere if needed. My lathe was free and have spent about £250 on accessories. It has it's limitations but accuracy isn't an issue and I've taken it way outside its design envelope a few times and haven't been bitten. It's been great fun. Go on, give it a go, you know you want to! 
   Back to the job, realised I hadn't shown the completed eccentrics. See pic.
When assembling the crankshaft I found that I'd allowed a bit too much for clearance. Tightening the pinch bolts failed to grip the shafts sufficiently causing slipping. So I made new shafts 4.98 mm and ditched the old ones. Also I'd left the counter bores to inset the cap screws flush with the webs until I actually received the new screws. This was silly and required a lot of work to line up only to find a drill wouldn't touch them. The area appears to have work hardened during the milling process. I eventually cut the holes with a small end mill. If I were staring this build again I would buy metric taps and dies and use metric fasteners. The cost would be cancelled out by buying metric fasteners rather than, as I chose to do, fork out for horrendously expensive BA gear.
Anyway I built up both crankshafts allowing 3 thou end float  to avoid any binding when things get hot. The grub screws in the eccentrics are too long and will be replaced later. Everything turns freely with no slop so I'm chuffed.
Have made a start on making the blocks for the cross heads.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:33 pm »

Hi Jerry, looking brilliant, nice work, I may tackle one myself now the new machine is up and running, casting sets are quite expensive, so it looks like a good way to go. I have just made a winch for AQ, which is nearly finished, so will soon be looking for something to do.......

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

Made three blocks for cross heads out of round bar, (need four but not enough stock). Drilled and reamed two 4mm and one 6BA tapping hole through length of block. Used coordinates to find centres. Repeated on second block. Repositioned in milling vice and drilled 6BA tapping hole for gudgeon pin. Will open out one side to 4mm after shaping. Repeated on second block. Put both blocks side by side in milling vice and removed surplus material. Repositioned and removed second batch. Repositioned one piece and milled the gudgeon pin claws. (Made that name up)! Just got the other one to finish then a bit of tidying up before final dressing.
The man says these parts are the most difficult on the engine. It's taken me all day to get this far.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:00 pm »

Finished machining the second crosshead. Tufted up with the file and dressed them up. The man put radiused the blocks around the holes but I couldn't see a way to get a really neat job so left them plain. Rearranged the lathe for turning and made four cylinder top covers. Each requires three bolt holes so my thoughts turned to the rotary table. It turns out it just fits on the milling attachment table using two bolts and T nuts off the milling vice. I mounted it slightly diagonally using one T nut in each slot. So now I need a small 3 jaw chuck about 50 mm and I'll have to make up a centering adapter so I can fix it centrally on the table similarly to George's method.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2014, 10:25:46 pm »

Jerry, are you psychic? I was about to ask how you got on with Rotary table, and were you happy with it etc, I come to the computer and there it is......

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2014, 08:42:32 am »

Nick, I've ordered a 50 mm three jaw chuck from RDG and hope to modify it in a similar fashion to George. It's fitted with a 10 mm shaft which I hope to turn down to locate in the centre hole of the rotating table.
Yesterday I made a start on the bottom cylinder cover/glands. The man says to make the gland screw first omitting the 3 mm hole. Then make the cover and female thread. Before parting off assemble with the screw then drill the hole through both parts to ensure concentricity. It seems to work. I have a load of stainless 3 mm rods scavenged from old hard drives. They fit smoothly though one was a bit tight until I realised I'd not deburred properly. There may be a short break in reporting. Youngest daughter was married last Saturday so one baby out and new baby in. Am sitting awaiting delivery of Royal Enfield 500 EFI. It's due in half an hour. True to form am in the middle of a massive thunder storm.
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2014, 09:16:07 am »

My 4 inch one came with a chuck adapter, threaded fo the Myford spindle, but I have not tried it out yet. RDG are an excellent company, great value, and everything I have ordered has arrived the next day. The Royal Enfield you are waiting for, is it an original or one of the Indian ones, I believe they are a very good bike, and now comply with current emission regulations. The one I saw even had an electric start. Your engine is coming along nicely, you will soon have it up and running, nice work. I like the idea of salvaging stainless rod out of old HDD's, I have a few kicking about so I will investigate.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.