Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type 42 destroyers  (Read 8732 times)

admiralbb62

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • CNC Models
Type 42 destroyers
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:51:10 am »

Any difference between the batch II and batch III superstructures on Type 42 destroyers?
Charles

magister

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
Re: Type 42 destroyers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:30:21 am »

yes, depends on which one you are building as they all have something different even the first batch 1 & 2

depending if you want to count rivets etc.. but for a model you will get away with the basic shape.
 ok2 %%
DEAN WINCHESTER

admiralbb62

• Full Mayhemer
    • CNC Models
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:55:11 am »

Thanks for the reply.  I have a HMS York superstructure and was wondering if it could be used for HMS Exeter and what changes it would require.
Charles

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 04:17:08 pm »

The biggest area of difference is between the funnel and formast -
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/HMS_Exeter_(D89)_underway_1986.JPEG

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:56:56 pm »

Nial....this looks rather covert with tarps hiding many things & no D89 markings?

Just a horizontal Union Jack on the bridge roof & a very small White Ensign on the mast.......war games?........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:09:42 pm »

Derek I think you'll find it is wash day amd it's the sheets being put out to dry {-) {-)

The Union Jack was painted on the roof for ships working in the Persian Gulf during the 80s early 90s
For identification from the air
This was probably taken about then pennant number removed as she was in a combat zone

During the Falklands the 42s had their pennant numbers removed but also a large black band painted down the side for identification from the Argentinian 42s

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 09:46:17 pm »

I think the "sheets" are radar absorbing material mats use during deployments in the Persian Gulf during the Armilla patrol in the 1980's.

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 12:16:11 am »

Which batch went down to the Falklands because  I thought the type 42s were new to the Royal Navy just like HMS Invincble was  but i could be wrong

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:47:19 am »

Niall........I understand RAM [radar absorbing material] on supersonic jets of composite materials   %)......but did not know the usage on steel & aluminium vessels..........[warships]......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:07:12 am »

HMS Exeter was the only batch 2 ship in the Falklands the other 4 type 42's were batch 1's.
The earliest use of RAM on warships I have found is on the masts of the Royal Navy's County class destroyers. This was not used to reduce the radar "size" of the ship but to mask the mast from the ship's own radar. I think that is what the black painted area on the formast is on the photo HMS Exeter I posted.

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:58:35 pm »

thanks for that info neil

did the type 42 keep i think they were called dart system as i no HMS Ark Royal (R07)  had the system but was taking off her at a later refit to make her runway either longer or wider

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 05:57:53 pm »

Yes, the Type 42s kept the Sea Dart system. It was removed from the carriers to give more deck space. The carriers really only needed close in defence systems such as the Goalkeeper CIWS with which Illustrious is presently fitted.

Colin

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 06:30:38 pm »

Yes, the Type 42s kept the Sea Dart system. It was removed from the carriers to give more deck space. The carriers really only needed close in defence systems such as the Goalkeeper CIWS with which Illustrious is presently fitted.

Colin

yes sea dart thank you Colin, 

yeah not sure bout invincible she was decommissioned in 2005 but i no the Mighty Ark had goalkeeper and that

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 10:37:59 pm »

Any difference between the batch II and batch III superstructures on Type 42 destroyers?

Main difference to the superstructure between B1-2 and B3 is round the Olympus air intakes midships. On the B1 and most of the B2's, these were about half the height of the superstructure and fit to the front of the funnel. On Liverpool Nottigham and Exeter (I think), the Olympus intakes are full height of the superstructure and pretty much squared off. These intakes also leave a bit of space between them and the funnel.

admiralbb62

• Full Mayhemer
    • CNC Models
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:42:17 pm »

Thanks for all the replies and pictures.  I have enough info to modify what I have (HMS York batch III)
Charles

Stu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 11:31:43 am »

yes sea dart thank you Colin, 

yeah not sure bout invincible she was decommissioned in 2005 but i no the Mighty Ark had goalkeeper and that

Invincible and illustrious were both fitted with the goalkeeper system and the ark had the phalanx system as it was never upgraded like her sisters.

roversean

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »

The RAM material looked like mattresses and we used to put it all over the superstructure and along the guardrails to help reduce the ships radar cross section,it was replaced in later years by a special paint and stick on panels

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 12:41:48 am »

Invincible and illustrious were both fitted with the goalkeeper system and the ark had the phalanx system as it was never upgraded like her sisters.

ahh thank you for that info

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 11:43:42 pm »

I have just bought a 1/96 model of HMS Brilliant. It was built over twenty years ago but is really nice.
It has inspired me I must say. Never really been keen on warships, they look so hard to do!
Having got this now, I can see that really, as long as you can get the fittings they are quite straightforward but might take a long time to do.
The model has fittings by Sirmar, indeed the hull may be theirs too, don't know.
Does anyone else make warship fittings for this class or complete kits?
Might have a go at one if a hull and fittings are available.
Also picked up HMS Newcastle from the same place. Again super model with Sirmar fittings and hull possibly.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:26 am »

Hi,
Fleetscale do a excellent range of modern fittings in various scales http://www.fleetscale.com/ they are around the corner from me and I can vouch for the quality.
Regards,
Rich
Regards,

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.