The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Seaport Tugs

Toy Grade to Hobby Grade Tug

(1/5) > >>

FastWayne:
I completed the maiden voyage for my converted tug today.  I am new to boating and purchased a toy grade 19" plastic tug with a very crude and complicated radio system.  Out of the box, it capsized, ballast tank did not work, it only had full throttle forward and reverse and same for steering.   I thought about tossing this thing out but, thought I would give it a try to convert it to a hobby grade tug.  After giving much thought over how to upgrade the RC systems, I gutted out the stock complicated but very rudimentary radio system and steering.   I found a piece of scrap plastic to mount the steering servo, cut down the stock mounting post for clearance.  I used an old servo saver and turnbuckle to link it to the rudder. I first purchased a cheapo $12 esc from Singapore, but it was for brushless, then I found an Aquacraft brushed esc from the Bristol Bay Fishing Boat.  I installed a left over Futaba 3PJ radio/receiver.  I now had proportional forward, reverse, and steering. I retained the stock brushed 380 motor, drive shaft and propeller.   I cut out the ballast tank and filled the bottom with lead.  In order to lose some of the top heavy weight, gutted out the superstructure, tossed the smoke stack and all the screws.  First water tight test was in the bath tub.  All systems worked and no leaks a good sign; )

My first maiden voyage was today at Eldorado Park in Long Beach, CA.  I shared the RC boating area with a couple of sail boats.  I had great range and reception. steering was good and so was forward and reverse, all proportional! It was still a little tippy in the fast turns. After a 10 minute seaworthiness test, I pulled the tug, no water leakage, all dry; )

I had so much fun converting the tug, I am thinking about purchasing a Dumas tug kit and building it up. 

essex2visuvesi:
That's where it starts for most of us

Welcome to you new addiction  :}

jimmy2310:
That's it Wayne you're hooked.  :-))

Jimmy

FastWayne:
I just ordered an air brush system.   Got to start somewhere; )

pompebled:
Hi Wayne,

Please add some pictures of your upgrades.

Should fit nicely in this section of the forum: Seaport Tugs
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=125.0

Regards, Jan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version