Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackpool Model Boat show  (Read 30944 times)

Stavros

Re: Blackpool Model Boat show
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:23 pm »

Right it's SHOWTIME THIS weekend Hope to see you there.......Ill be on the A Model World Stand working hard  {-) {-)

REMEMBER the Clocks go BACK on sat night so dont be LATE on sunday

Dave

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
  • roll on mayhem at wicksteed 2016 !
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 12:33:06 am »

Right it's SHOWTIME THIS weekend Hope to see you there.......Ill be on the A Model World Stand working hard  {-) {-)

REMEMBER the Clocks go BACK on sat night so dont be LATE on sunday

Dave
they go forward not back
lets just hope this one floats !!
fire at will ! ... which one is will ?

Stavros

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:16:58 am »

Ian the clocks go BACK  an hour not fwd

Dave

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 07:53:34 am »

Spring forward.....Fall (Autumn) back....simples.

Paul.
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the length of your reach.

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 09:29:10 am »

I'll tell you on Sunday after my iPhone does it automatically lol

gomburg

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »

Went there today, lots of people there, some superb models on display - spent too much money though! but got all I wanted (and more)
Well worth the visit.
Regards

JIM WORNER

• Full Mayhemer
  • Not me chief : Engines
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 11:17:13 pm »

Second that, good show with some lovely models. Also some interesting new traders, bought people for my railway!  Thank you to all the organisers and workers.  Cheers  Jim W :-))

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Blackpool Model Boat Show 25th October 2014
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »

Hi Folks, Myself my other half and two teenage sons have just been to the show yesterday. I managed to relieve my good half of vast amounts of money from numerous traders at the show. I noticed that there is a pool there and we took along our two sons boats. One is a Seaport tug that I have gutted out new prop, new prop shaft, motor, 6v gel shell battery, Graupner water pump and numerous lights. The other boat used to be a RTR Police boat that came with pod motors. This has also been ripped apart and now has a new motor, prop, prop shaft and paint job. It is till being built into a USA Vietnam type gun boat, work on going. I managed to get the boats in the pool in the morning for a brief run before they had to be taken out because five large lifeboats had to use the pool! A bit strange really because there was not much running all day in the pool and maybe more boats could have had a chance to run as quite a lot of the time the pool was empty. Anyway, it was a good show and enjoyed by all, no doubt I'll be kept busy for the rest of half term. Even managed to track down the famous Stavros and gave him some free magazines. Hopefully you find some pictures attached of my sons boats but if not I will try and upload them again.

Regards
Dave and family

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 07:12:40 pm »

Got all the bits I went for and some lovely models on show.
One question where was the free raffle in Reply #13 saw the £1 raffle on the way in.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

Stavros

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 07:34:09 pm »

Raffle was held at the prizegiving .....WINNERS will be contacted by Mark in due course

Dave

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »

Misunderstanding where did you get a free raffle ticket.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 09:10:39 pm »

Well everyone,I have just had a wonderful weekend at the Blackpool Model Show,which was crowned by my model of the RMS QUEEN MARY,winning best in class.A wonderful tribute to her builder,and my great friend,the Late Wilf Burrows,of the Falmouth Model Boat Club Cornwall.
The amount of interest shown  to both models I had on display was wonderful,with stories from ex crew members,which I will pass on as part of my answers to questions raised.
Thanks also to all the Mayhemmers who came over and said hello,good to meet you all guys.Especial thanks to my great pal,Neil Howard Pritchard,who on learning that I had broken the mast on the model,promptly went to his nearby home,collected his tools and effected a repair on site.Thank you so much.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:48 pm »

Very pleased to hear about Queen Mary. Very well deserved as it is a wonderful model.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 09:48:28 pm »

you got a free entry from your admission ticket and you could also purchase strips of tickets off the girls upon entering the show

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 09:59:12 pm »

This is a PERSONAL  vote of thanks from Mark and myself to ALL  the members of the Blackpool club which we are not going to mention your names you ALL know who you are for the hard work over the weekend  O0 O0 O0

The girls on the door who Allways do a stirling job.

Thanks to all the traders who allways support the show...in excess of 20

The clubs and their members who came along .

As announced at the show we do not know YET  whether it will be at the same place or it will be moved to a new venue STILL at Blackpool........WATCH THIS SPACE

Thanks to all the Mayhemers who came  to say Hello you ALL know who you were.

Dave and Mark

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:15 pm »

Without wanting to put a damper on it, and with much respect to all those whose massive effort went into organising it, have to say I was a little disappointed with my visit on Saturday.
Seemed to be a little lacking in both traders and displays.
To throw a stick in the fire, I just wonder if of these shows would be better attended and less of the same old same if they were held on alternate years?
I know the Ellesmere Port show is a popular start to the year, particularly with the open water sailing if the weather is reasonable, but are Haydock and Blackpool too close together?

As I've tried to say, not trying to upset any carts, just offer up a suggestion for consideration.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 08:17:27 pm »

I would echo the previous comment - but I went yesterday, Sunday, and it was, I suspect, even worse. I went through the pictures I did and then compared them with previous years and guess what - apart from one or two models it was the same old example in the same place, for the most part.

There may well be a commercial reason for continuing to hold this show but, for the life of me, I can't see what it is. Not only is it to close to Haydock it only two weeks off the Warwick/Telford weekend as well and, I know which I would sooner attend.

If I hadn't met so many old friends I would have written the whole day off.

LB

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 08:33:35 pm »

I would echo the previous comment - but I went yesterday, Sunday, and it was, I suspect, even worse. I went through the pictures I did and then compared them with previous years and guess what - apart from one or two models it was the same old example in the same place, for the most part.

There may well be a commercial reason for continuing to hold this show but, for the life of me, I can't see what it is. Not only is it to close to Haydock it only two weeks off the Warwick/Telford weekend as well and, I know which I would sooner attend.

LB
im afraid . i agree .... was still a good show . and enjoyed seeing some old friends . and meeting new .... but unless you attend something like wicksteed or something down south . then you will get the same traders . same boats ... just because a lot of people wont travel more than 200 miles . with an exception from  a few here and there ! ... but well done to the lads who worked at the show and made it a good show ! . just a shame about the displays and traders !

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 09:46:04 am »

LB
It should always be remembered that the Blackpool show started back in 1997 in mid-November, when nobody thought a late autumn show was worth the bother, with Warwick jumping in a few years down the line a week or so earlier in the full knowledge that that would be a spoiler.  The Blackpool show moved to late October as that was the available date on the move to the present venue.
Anyway, just to add to Stavros' thanks, the guys from Fleetwood MYPBC provided great help with the setup as well.  Also, the Bring & Buy raised £421.85 which I had the great pleasure of passing to the Lytham St Annes RNLI Station yesterday.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Re: Blackpool Model Boat Show 25th October 2014
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:38 am »

Ah well, 137 viewings of my post and not one reply, my sons and i must try harder next time, regards,
 Dave.

Your posts have now been merged into the main thread.
ken

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:46 am »

Good Lord was it 1997 when the show was first held at the Tower. I remember it well when my shoes stuck to the carpet, the decoration and light bulbs appeared not to have been changed since the building first opened in 1890 something, the seating also appeared to be the original; the parking horrendous, no wonder the place has gone down the pan.  The evening cabaret was unintentionally amusing as well, when the singer tried to exit the stage through a breeze block wall, she took it well though!

I should make clear that I'm not trying to devalue the effort put into making the show happen, just that there are few if any venues in Blackpool that could make a show such as this viable. This of course reflects badly on the town which, in so many ways, still lives on its past and has yet to realised that the World has moved on.

I am also being a little bit ungenerous about this years show when I said the day was almost a write off. It wasn't entirely, as I found what I though was a reasonable priced speed controller for a brushless motor for £25, only to find  it on the Hobby King UK site for just over £10; so guess where I shall be purchasing brushless motors, speed controllers and other bits from in the future.

LB

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 11:00:49 am »

I have made a comment  about the show on this page,and a further comment on another thread which I would like to repeat here......
Just like to say thanks to all the fellow mayhemmers who came over and said hello at the Blackpool Show,it was great to meet you all.I thoroughly enjoyed the show, there was a really good atmosphere,and many really good models.I was very surprised myself, to win the best model in its category for my Queen Mary Cunard liner,a wonderful bonus for travelling all that distance.I note on another thread that there have been a few moans and groans,which I think is sad really.There were at least 20 traders there,and I only noticed one that was missing from previous years. Despite what is being said about the same old models I disagree,my two had never been seen before, there was at least one Lifeboat on the enthusiasts stand on its maiden visit, and another one that won a best in category prize,and dozens of other models I had not seen before,in five years of attendance.The organisers work damn hard to put on the show,and they were certainly the nicest of people and deserve more than the bad reports they are getting.All I can say is, I hope I can see you all again next year,and thanks for a great show.

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 01:52:53 pm »

Thankyou for posting your pictures Davenotdone. I didn't go to the Blackpool shindig as it's too far as a day trip for me, so I do enjoy seeing and reading other's adventures.

Bintur Ellenbach

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 01:59:40 pm »

No need for comments like that Dave! Glad you went to the show and your two lads enjoyed the use of the pool.It may have been better perhaps,if you had posted this on one of  the other thread about the show,rather than starting a new thread? Good to see some youngsters taking part in the hobby!
Mick F

Threads now merged into this topic

Ken

tonyO

• Full Mayhemer
  • SOUTHERN MODEL LIFEBOAT SOCIETY. Lifeboats are go.
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 02:05:27 pm »

I travelled 295 miles to put two models on the Lifeboat Enthusiasts stand that haven't been that north before, so for people to say nothing new I can only say I saw plenty of new models. Were they so busy looking for faults they missed the good stuff? Also if people got off their backsides and displayed their models there would be a lot for all of us to see. I don't always agree with what Rottweiler says but this I fully agree with him.
Thanks to Mark, Stavros & the crew, I enjoyed the show.
tonyO 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.