Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re HMS Warrior or Cochrane  (Read 15016 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Re HMS Warrior or Cochrane
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 08:58:34 pm »

Working on the copy and send on principle so as not to contravene copyright laws? If five people were interested then I would be interested.

We could then each choose to build one of the class to save building five Natals or Cochranes!
Pond weed is your enemy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 01:54:07 pm »

Sounds good by me.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 03:26:57 pm »

Any more for any more chaps?
Pond weed is your enemy

Ian S

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 10:20:44 pm »

I have National Maritime Museum plans for HMS Black Prince which was a half- sister to the Warriors. Essentially identical except she carried 10 x 6" guns in casemates - later plated over with 6 guns moved to the upper deck with shields. The only other difference of note is that the first three funnels are slightly larger in diameter to the Warriors but the 4th is the same size - took me several years to spot but once you see it, it is obvious! As mentioned earlier, the plans are very big! If you go on the NMM site, you will also see they do rigging plans. My recollection is that these show a simplified 1/192 scale profile view of the ships but I can't remember the detail. I'm hoping to go to the NMM I the next couple of months so I can report back. I've wanted a large scale model of the Black Prince for years so may need plenty of advice as and when I start!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:06 pm »

Hi Ian.

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. Do please report back on the plans I would be interested in their quality.

Pond weed is your enemy

srcampb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 05:12:09 am »

I've been looking into HMS Minotaur, a slightly more "recent" armored cruiser class. I know the NMM has the hull lines for that class, drawing NPB7113 ADR812.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 02:01:46 pm »

Oh yes, didn't she have twin turrets fore and aft and single turretted weapons on the broadside?

Pond weed is your enemy

srcampb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 05:11:04 pm »

Twin 9.2" mounts fore and aft, and five single 7.5" single mounts on each broadside- I have to convince myself I can make a master of each those turrets and successfully cast them- I don't think I would ever be able to scratchbuild them to match, especially almost a dozen of the smaller guns'.

The 9.2 twin mount was also used on the Lord Nelson class predreadmoughts, and I have a set of plans for that. The 7.5 turrets were less common and could be a problem!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »

What scale are you looking to build your cruiser in?

I was thinking of 1:96th scale. If, you are looking at this scale, I need 7.5inch turrets for Achilles (Decided to do this one as she is an Elswick girl:O) so if these are the same then we could do a swap, turrets for small guns (3pounders etc?)

We need to confirm that all the turrets are the same, the scales are the same and the tech will be the same, as I would like to have mine traverse but am not bothered about elevating barrels.

I am not in a position to start the whole project until HMS' Ready and Rupert are almost complete, though the turret could be done quite soon in my lunch times.

Whaddaya think Mr Scrambp?
Pond weed is your enemy

srcampb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 09:03:44 pm »

Thank you for the offer, but I think I'm going to build in 1/72. My 1/48 destroyer fits in the car nicely, and a 1/72 cruiser would be a little smaller (85 inches against 93").

I'm hoping, too, to get a little more stable model by going just a bit bigger.

The Minotaurs used 12 pounders as their anti- torpedo boat battery, and making them has been a problem I've been wondering about. What do you plan to use for the 3 pounders on your model?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 07:07:37 pm »

Hi Scrampb.

I plan to scrathbuild a set of patterns then mould and cast the required number I need. I have ready access to the equipment so will make best use of it:O)

Good luck woith your build, I look forward to seeing her when complete, are you going to put pictures up of the build? I love to see things to salivate over!!!
Pond weed is your enemy

srcampb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »

I have a small build to do for a friend, and then "on to bigger things". Give me a month or two...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 11:33:09 pm »

I have contacted the NMM and they are putting an order sheet together for HMS Natal (sister to Warrior, Achilles and Cochrane). If the plan and profile plan from Taubman is cheaper than the same from NMM albeit in HOOOGE scale, then I will order frames from NMM and the rest from Taubman.

Lets see what tomorrow brings:O)
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.