Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D printer  (Read 2367 times)

Mikasa

• Shipmate
3D printer
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:48:48 pm »

Hi Can anybody recommend a good affordable 3D printer. Thanks Brian

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: 3D printer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »

Good and affordable aren't terms that go together in relation to 3D printers.

If it's good then it ain't affordable.

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »

Fused layer 3d (Makerbot ect) has serious limitations,  unless you aren't too fussy about the crappy finish, by the time you have done the 3D CAD drawing and made it "watertight", filled & finished the item, it is quicker to scratch build... (I know, I have one)
SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) really good finish pretty much ready to paint... If you have to ask how much the machine is you can't afford it!!

Paul.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:26:19 pm »

cheaper to use shapeways if you want qualty printing. a good printer will be over £1000+

john

Clive

• Schaarhorn Bloke
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Today, I will be mostly building my Schaarhorn!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:28:05 pm »

We use a new Makerbot replicator 2 for basic 3D printing, yes the finish is not ready for painting but for some parts this can be satisfactory, with 3D CAD CAM it's also worth considering 3D routing and milling. This can produce a superb finish but with limitations due to the cutters involved and on basic machines no undercut - some come with a rotary 4th axis though and this really increases the scope. Finally don't forget laser cutting and engraving, it's more flexible than you might think.
 Replicator about £2500 but cheap materials at about £20 a roll - lots of colours available and now some new flexible rubber-like materials as well. Our new CNC router/mill which will work on most plastics, woods and non-ferrous metals was about £12,000 including extraction. A good laser cutter starts around £10,000 and goes up, we have a 60WATT approx. A0 machine which cuts woods and acrylic superbly well.
 I keep saying we, it's a school and it may be worth approaching a local secondary/high school to see if they can help - we’re all trying to make ends meet these days and we have done several jobs for people at very little over cost price.
Clive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.