Mess Deck: General Section > Chit-Chat

Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....

(1/322) > >>

Martin (Admin):

As many of you are experiencing, we are having major server issues, load issues in particular.
We've been working behind the scenes to remove all unlooked posts and topic etc, but it seems we
have met a tipping point and we need to make a decision. (I say loading issues but annoyingly, the
server only falls over when very few people are logged on?!?! What even more annoying the server
works fine even at peak times but the hosting company aren't helping us resolve the issue......)

Anyway, the hosting company say it's "a simple fix", just give them a lot of money.... 4 times what we're
currently paying.... but no guarantees that if we upgrade, all the issues will be solved!

I'm in discussion with the moderators as to what we do next but as you know, I'm in this for the 'long run',
so it's just how we move forward.

Hang in there everyone, we have the technology!  {-)

Regards,
 Martin

Henk Goosen:
Martin is another hosting company the solution? <*<

Martin (Admin):

I don't think any hosting company is interested in helping you with software efficiency.... and finding a company with real 24/7 support is not as easy as you would hope!   {:-{

Martin (Admin):
Thanks Andy, changes now made, lets see if it makes any difference!

.... cheque's in the post!   O0

Martin

--- Quote from: dreadnought72 on March 02, 2013, 01:21:02 am ---Martin, there's a file under Themes/default/ called...

Search.template.php

...on your server. On lines 112 and 260 of this file there's a maxage set of 9999.

I suggest you change these numbers to something less and see what happens.  ok2 I doubt it'll break things.

(I've downloaded the total forum software and unzipped it locally. Seems to be the only place this thing occurs.)

Andy

...oh - and that'll be £40 per hour plus a call-out charge.  %%

--- End quote ---

dreadnought72:

--- Quote from: Martin (Admin) on March 04, 2013, 08:57:22 am --- (I say loading issues but annoyingly, the
server only falls over when very few people are logged on?!?!

--- End quote ---
It's an odd one.

Is the search facility being spammed at those quiet times? Would a "captcha" add-on to the search facility help keep robots away?

Are (hosting company) back-ups scheduled for those times? ("Quiet" in the States)

If the server isn't a dedicated one, is it that some other user is peaking at those times and causing the issues?

--- Quote from: Martin (Admin) on March 04, 2013, 08:57:22 am ---Anyway, the hosting company say it's "a simple fix", just give them a lot of money.... 4 times what we're
currently paying.... but no guarantees that if we upgrade, all the issues will be solved!

--- End quote ---
Ah - Is that the option for a dedicated server, Martin?

Andy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version