Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....  (Read 665198 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc.....
« Reply #1150 on: April 19, 2018, 07:35:18 pm »

C3PO  the first one was   in hotmail appreciate that might  be part of the prob but why was yours shrunk copied from here  tags not involved there so can't blame that. Also    the copied text from the email is perfect  pasted in notepad so many people/systems etc leaves the only common factor this site

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1151 on: April 19, 2018, 08:01:18 pm »

I don't think there is any point in getting upset about it. As Martin says, the Forum software is a bit outdated and reacts differently to various text inputs generated in more modern browsers. There is nothing to be done about it except to find a combination that works for you. I use Firefox on my PC and that works OK generally although it doesn't deal with text in quotations quite the  way it should. As stated in an earlier post, composing your post in Microsoft Word and then doing a copy and paste into the Forum posting box seems to work most of the time - for me anyway.

Sometimes things can't be fixed and you just need to find a workaround. C'est la vie!

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1152 on: April 19, 2018, 08:40:37 pm »

One thing I have found is that if I want to copy and paste onto the site I first paste it into Notebook  then call up format:font/size and make sure it is in 10 Point , then copy this and paste it into the reply box. This gives me a workaround for the issue.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1153 on: April 19, 2018, 09:11:51 pm »

One thing I have found is that if I want to copy and paste onto the site I first paste it into Notebook  then call up format:font/size and make sure it is in 10 Point , then copy this and paste it into the reply box. This gives me a workaround for the issue.
I wish I had that level of discipline.  And the memory to do it before the event.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1154 on: April 19, 2018, 10:31:27 pm »

What  is needed is to be able to cancel a post

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1155 on: April 19, 2018, 11:42:03 pm »

Speak up chap!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #1156 on: May 07, 2018, 08:30:21 pm »

There was a conversation about this some while back, and I recall the reason for not allowing this is due to gaps appearing in the thread that may cause misunderstandings if someone was trying to refer to a post that was deleted before the reference. Something like that anyway  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1157 on: May 07, 2018, 10:33:19 pm »

well that is pretty primitive if I create a post then decide within the  modify time limit  I do not want it posted what is the difference twixt  cancelling and modifying choice

As for speak up chap you should not have to  select pick a font size for every post

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1158 on: May 07, 2018, 11:47:55 pm »

well that is pretty primitive if I create a post then decide within the  modify time limit  I do not want it posted what is the difference twixt  cancelling and modifying choice

As for speak up chap you should not have to  select pick a font size for every post

Not Really, Some years ago when altering a post was allowed after 30 minutes it created quite a bit of issues. It was then decided to create the time limit, I see no problem with that.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1159 on: May 07, 2018, 11:48:58 pm »

you should not have to  select pick a font size for every post

I don't, it comes out the same size each time I post. Occasionally, a post appears in tiny font, apparently a glitch in the system. If this happens simply resize it. If you preview your text before posting you should be able to tell if all's well, otherwise read your post after posting and, if necessary, modify it within the time limit. Perhaps Mayhem is primitive, but it operates within quite severe budget constraints.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1160 on: May 08, 2018, 12:35:08 am »

Folks....I do not have any issue with the functionality of the Forum WEB site

I did however purchase a new Telstra branded 4G telephone [ZTE brand] last week [my old Nokia dies after some 27 years]

The telephone came with a 34 page booklet, however it did not even start with how to turn it on  <*<

So I went to GOOGLE to ask for help...the listings with the greatest impact were that Mr Donald Trump [ President of the Unites States of America] had banned all ZTE & HUAWEI Chinese manufactured telephony type devices due to potential electronic feedback of National Military secrets

The long dialogue in GOOGLE also mentions loss of Text Sizing issues 

So there you have it ....  are the Chinese playing with your posts?  {-)........how many members with font size issues are using Chinese manufactured hand held devices?
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1161 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:38 am »

Long build no issue with the time limit it is not being able to cancel
Peter  not saying mayhem is primitive   Martin  works wonders with what funds he has  but surely one is allowed to  comment on what they think is wrong. it is just a niggle not a major inconvenience 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Forum News, Announcements, Updates, Errors, etc..... GDPR
« Reply #1162 on: May 25, 2018, 12:39:24 pm »

Yes I know we've all got a dozens of emails already but we better say something in lieu of all the confusion as to regards Forums, social media, websites, etc.etc.

On joining ModelBoatMayhem.co.uk Forum, you have voluntarily supplied:
1. Your Name ( truthful or otherwise )
2. A 'Display / User name' ( can be anything )
3. An email address ( this does need to be authenticated )
4. A Password ( encrypted and inaccessible to anyone, even Admin )
5. Your computer / phone / ipad / android tablet's IP address ( identifies your device when you log on, bit like a phone No. )

According to GDPR I need to remind you that items 1 - 4 are stored on the Mayhem server and 'could possibly identify you'..... obviously.

A few ways you can do anything about 5. (your IP address) is:
 a. Reboot your router. ( doesn't always reset your IP ),
 b. Change your IP in your Router or with your ISP ( good luck with that ),
 c. Change your phone / SIM or IP with your phone service provider, ( very good luck with that! )
 d. Delete your ModelBoatMayhem account.

I will now sit back and await corrections from Mayhemers that actually know what they're talking about, eg. c3p0, Tug Cowboy, etc.

.... there we have it!   

Martin - Admin   :police:

Addendum

If you are a Trader etc. you will/may have supplied identifiable data email address, telephone numbers, postal address etc. (duh!)
If you have registered your business on the traders directory or anywhere else on ModelBoatMayhem, please ensure this is also accurate and that you are authorised to provide/post said information. All information provided by you for your account or the Traders Directory is used in accordance with our privacy policy and for the purpose of providing you access to the forums and allow you to advertise.
If you want this information amended or removed, please contact me via PM or Email (martin@modelboatmayhem.co.uk)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1163 on: May 25, 2018, 01:16:54 pm »

Even the Government aren't sure what's going on.
All a complete waste of time, had more emails last few weeks than ever before.. Bored now..
Might be time to lose 1000 or so members who have not used it for a year. Bit of Spring cleaning..  8)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #1164 on: May 25, 2018, 01:42:57 pm »

Even the Government aren't sure what's going on.

I have phoned the ICO 3 times - on each ocassion they gave clear guidance

All a complete waste of time, had more emails last few weeks than ever before.. Bored now..

How can you tell the start date of the leigslation is today so the impact of the legislation will be felt over the next 6 -12 months - email contact has been very active in the last few weeks as organisations try to get you to "opt in" before today when in theory after today they can't email you unless you have given permission.

I know that one of my clients with a multi billion turnover is very worried about the impact on direct email contact with their customer base which they use to drive sales

If you do business with FTSE 250 companies they are very interested in your GDPR policy and that you have your ducks in a row...

Agreed it seems very heavy handed legislation but the fines seem to be significant for non conformance.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out...

Posted this already today elsewhere on the forum but it is light relief if you have been responsible for implementing the legislation in your organisation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i5WuBbfhss&feature=youtu.be

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1165 on: May 25, 2018, 03:13:56 pm »

I am referring to the G  <*<  D  <*<  P  <*<  R   >>:-( emails, and I saw an interview the other day and they contradicted them selves, probably a sacrificial junior..  Still in my opinion a waste of time. 

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1166 on: May 25, 2018, 04:24:50 pm »

its funny, all the emails I have been getting saying opt in to continue receiving emails have subtly changed now to please let us know if you want to opt out.
I am on the tech team of another (unrelated) forum, and we have had one member ask to be forgotten, this was difficult to achieve until a forum update yesterday gave us some GDPR tools to be able to delete the member and his ip addresses without removing his posts (the posts were all attributed to guest) we also have the ability now to only keep a current list of IP addresses (ie remove all those over a age we can set manually).
we were advised that as forum posts had been voluntarily placed in the public domain, we were able to keep them, but their attribution (who they were originally posted by) would have to be anonymised (to guest).

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1167 on: May 25, 2018, 05:28:49 pm »

What I find strange with all these emails about GDPR is that only a fraction of them ask me to Opt In - most just say they have updated their Privacy Policy.

Barrie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1168 on: May 25, 2018, 06:01:44 pm »

Companies don't want to give customers the chance to opt-out.....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1169 on: May 27, 2018, 12:12:11 pm »

Strange thing is that I got dozens of E-Mails from companies telling me that I wanted to continue hearing from them I had to click to agree, I just kept deleting them as they came in but I am still getting their marketing mails.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1170 on: June 25, 2018, 04:27:18 pm »

Thanks to the diligent Mayhemers who notified me about  idiot spammer that got through.   :-))

This is  our   little bit of the internet, our hidey hole, our snug ...  and when anybody new comes in,
where the room goes silent .....

......   then shake their hand and buy 'em a beer!

...... it was very hot out yesterday    and I may have a touch of sunstroke!  %%    {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1171 on: November 12, 2018, 07:58:52 pm »

The Green upload button seems to broken / disappeared..... 

Working on it!   :-)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1172 on: November 12, 2018, 08:01:18 pm »

Upgrade?
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1173 on: November 12, 2018, 08:15:50 pm »

Yes, tried that, as I thought that was the issue....  {:-{

I got the Host to install SSL earlier, I wonder if it something to do with that?

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 65   Go Up

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 22 queries.