Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Illustrious 87  (Read 150547 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
Re: HMS Illustrious 87
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:32 pm »

So with some ruler work and a home made block scribe I worked out the hight for the lower upper deck apertures and marked them out ready for cutting.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2016, 03:54:13 pm »

The rear quarter deck had some work to be done so that I could measure and fit the quarter deck so cut out the rear deck area which I had filler with balsa wood during the build.  Then using the template cut out the deck and fitted.   Again using the block scribe I marked out the deck level and then transposed the deck apertures ready for testing and cutting out.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2016, 12:03:19 am »

Your model is probably as complex as the real thing what with all the fillets and bits to get the upper hull edges to work with the decks and frames.

She is really coming along great Paul.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2016, 07:26:10 pm »

At the moment I am planking the quarter deck and lower upper deck ready to confirm the measurements for these deck apertures before I cut them out. All the eight gun turrets have been completed and are now ready for primer and then top coat.  Got hold of some woven fiber cloth to see if it is OK and will do the job.
Photos to follow.

Yes the build is much like that except I am the only builder so move from one part to another which when all done will come together really nicely.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2016, 01:18:29 pm »

The quarter deck has now been planked and the lower upper deck is halfway through waiting on new planks to completed the work.  Once done will be able to measure the hight of all the deck apertures before cutting.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:39 pm »

All gun turrets have been completed and primed ready to be painted.  Question, when painting the gun barrels, would the whole barrel be painted gun metal or would it have the same as the turret its self.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2016, 03:01:28 pm »

Evening Paul......

%) just Google it....I am sure you will find images for Illustrious that depict the MKI - 4.5" twins with grey barrels....same as the turrets ....

The final barrel end.... [has a term.....cannot think  .......(neck or bell) ..would be anti rust.....stainless shrouds?] .............

PS....just paint the curved mantlet plates black......[they were covered in a material called 'Peredite X']......

This was a British version for the American Du Pont Teflon........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2016, 09:11:23 pm »

Above a certain calibre they are painted in the colour of the carriage/turret. Smaller weapons such as the Bofors gun are not. I have seen exceptions but your guns would be painted.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: June 04, 2016, 11:48:27 am »

Having confirmed that the deck level on the lower upper deck was correct redraw the apertures and cut them out.  As they are spaced some distance apart the was no problem with cutting them out as long as you take your time.  Once the woven fiber cloths has been applied the support to the sections between the apertures will be stronger. 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2016, 12:04:36 pm »

However when it came to the quarter deck hit a problem when checking the deck high and the positions of the hull beams 21 and 22.  They fell in the middle or to one side of the deck apertures.  As these would have to be cut out and that would leave these sections hanging free and only supported by the planks and the stringers that run the full length of the hull.  Due to the rear section of the hull having a drupe section the strings also break at beam 21.  So had a wee think what can I do to add extra strength to these beams at the top and stop them collapsing down if any weight was placed in this area.  So added three extra support beams running across the under side of beams from 20 to 23.  Once in place have started to cut out the deck apertures.   

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2016, 12:05:12 pm »

Thanks for your comments Paul, like you I'm following your build, although I don't comment that much I continue to admire your resolve in tackling such a large scratch build, well done so far mate.  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2016, 04:43:36 pm »

It shows the amount of planning and testing it took to build the real thing making sure that the scantlings and openings did not clash.

Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: June 06, 2016, 04:52:57 pm »

Quarter deck all cut out and the deck is more or less in place just one or two high spots to file down around the sides to let it lay flat ready for the deck items to be fitted and then varnished.  Think I will fit this before I lay the hull cloth fiber so that the deck is sealed in and water tight.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2016, 12:24:06 am »

Great work on that planking - must have been very awkward to lay. :o

Watching and inwardly digesting....thank you for sharing, might inspire me to build something else. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:19 pm »

Well I bit the bullet and started to cut out each of the deck apertures.  So I started by laying the upper deck plans running the full length of the hull lining up with the stern and bow.  With the set square I lined up each of the scantlings to ensure I was correct.  With this set of plans in place I then laid the Port view plans on top and then lined them up with the upper lower deck plans so that I had the correct position of all the boat decks corresponding to the quarter deck.  Then with the aid if the set square I marked the vertical lines of each aperture.  Then using my digital Vernier gauge I measured the depth of each deck support beam I had cut out during the manufacture and cutting of each of the scantlings.  This then gave me the deck level.  With the aid of my dividers I measured the height and width for each deck aperture.  I then used a 0.4 mm drill and checked each deck level to ensure I was in the correct ball park.  The end result on the Starboard side is my achievement.  All the deck are just held in place not bonded yet.  Hope you like the end result.   

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2016, 11:02:29 pm »

Until the last two images, the apetures look so wonky because of the optical illusion of the planks as they are on a different plane to the actual horizontals! Now she is starting to look the business. Will you apply patches of GRP matting over the protuberances before applying the main sheets of mat?

Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2016, 01:54:33 pm »

Looking good, what an interesting build. Please keep the pictures coming!

Cheers

Geoff

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2016, 06:08:42 pm »

Until the last two images, the apetures look so wonky because of the optical illusion of the planks as they are on a different plane to the actual horizontals! Now she is starting to look the business. Will you apply patches of GRP matting over the protuberances before applying the main sheets of mat?

Will trim the matting around the edges to seal them from the water and to seal the decks.  Matting I will use is 160 grams so should be light enough for one coat at the level above the Hanger deck. 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:22 pm »

Work has now started on the Port side of the hull to cut out the remaining deck apertures, the boat deck has been done and ready to be bonded in place.  Thinking of the boat decks have now to think about the boats that are on board.  Should I try to build them my self or buy in.  Is it possible to get drawings of the larger motor launchers such as the 36 ft Motor Pinnace, 35 ft Fast Motor Boat, 35 ft Fast seaplane tender.  Also need 25 ft fast motor boat 32 ft life cutter. plus the usual 27 ft whaler a total of 17 plus boats.

I believe the 32 ft life cutter and the 36 ft Motor Pinnace are the same as those on board HMAS Sydney 11  see link. http://www.australias-titanic.com/sydneys-boats/.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2016, 06:06:03 pm »

More work completed on the build. Port side has now had all the deck apertures cut and all the sub decks have been made and fitted.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »

Have also completed the lower upper deck planking and made the anchor chain equipment and positioned some of the deck items.  The deck can slide in place and has now been closed off.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2016, 09:11:17 pm »

It is great to see your progress, and what progress it is. I like the deck detailing, enough to tell you something worthwhile is there without every nut and bolt, unless you have yet to add these!!!
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »

Thought about it on the anchor chain drives, but thought no, they would not see the nuts and bolts, that just going too far.  Just hope the deck lights will show off the deck and other items.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2016, 03:42:06 pm »

All the small decks have now been removed and the blast weight deck has been bonded to the keel ready for the lead weight to be added before the lower deck is placed.  Fitted the complete rudder and bonded in the pivot shaft and the brass seat for the inner shaft to rotate in.  This will enable the rudder to be lubricated without any fuss.  All I have to do now is fit the servo and connect the push and pull rods.  Will fit two rods just so that there is no possibility of a single rod off or working loose.  Then I will start  on laying the cloth fibre matting and sealing the hull ready for priming.  Looking forward to this as this will show the hull in its true light and should look great.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2016, 11:12:20 pm »

Looking forward to this as this will show the hull in its true light and should look great.

That's the one bit, above all others, that I always look forward to - usually gives the builder the incentive to carry on. :-)

Regards,

Ray.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.