Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Illustrious 87  (Read 150513 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
Re: HMS Illustrious 87
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2016, 05:30:02 pm »

Hi John, Thanks for that, as most of the hull could be sealed the bow will not as there is no room to apply the epoxy resin due to the shape.  But will look at this idea again.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2016, 08:26:33 pm »

Well the coats I have applied are fully cured and now ready to be rubbed down with wet and dry. Starting with 240 grit then to 400 grit and then 600 for the final rub down  Then I will spray with some filler and rub down with 600 again till I get the finish I am looking for. Then I will bond the engine room and boiler protection plates to both sides and then prime. So a lot of hard work ahead but the hull is not as bad as I first thought it would be. 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2016, 08:04:05 pm »

Well thats not bad for initial lay up is it  :-)) Over the months reading and watching fellow Mayhemists slapping the old GRP on their hulls, I would say you have done a good job with no more or less sanding than would be expected. If you were a professional GRP layer, then I suppose one would be critical, but then we don't do GRP every day.

I can reallly see the progress now and look forward to see your work on detailing and superstructure etc.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »

How goes the battle?

Cheers

Geoff

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2016, 05:07:29 pm »

Well I tried using the poly filler on one side of the hull, and it did not work out too well for me.  I found it hard to get it to stick to the epoxy finish.  During the rubbing down got lots of little air holes. Most likely from the way I applied it.  So rubbed it down with 1200 grit wet and dry paper and found that it will not bind to the hull and flaked away in places.  It was very powdery and may be it is OK for small areas.  So I just rubbed  down the other side again and put a full coat of primer on to the hull after I had bonded the two side armoured plate shields that protected the engine room and boilers.  Will leave for a day and then start with a mix of P38 and fill the areas that need attention. Rub down and try another coat of primer and see how she looks and keep going till I feel she looks OK.

Also the flight deck cut and fitted.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2016, 05:30:08 pm »

Looking good! Effort now will certainly repay you in the future so best to get everything as smooth as possible.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2016, 09:45:11 pm »

Some of the areas look like they have suffered plate indentation and look very realistic Paul. Someone once suggested mixing PVA with talc but I found this to be bullet proof to sand!
Pond weed is your enemy

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2016, 05:19:43 pm »

I admire your perseverance Paul. This is going to be a show stopper when completed :-)) Please keep the pics coming.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »

{:-{  Well first rub down done and the second coat of primer applied still more rubbing down but better then before but do not think I am going to get it totally smooth.  But will see. 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2016, 05:23:38 pm »

Have now cut the bow upper deck apertures to reflect the bow.  As this area is solid wood I could not continue the upper deck to go forward to this area, so they are just to show where the deck is. 

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2016, 02:08:04 pm »

Just a bit quiet of late doing the Scottish Poppy Appeal for my area, so once my garage is free of cans and poppy stuff will be back to the rubbing down and filling again.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2016, 06:10:01 pm »

:-)) O0 Poppy work done and now I can get back to my hull and some of the small items that need to be made and built. So should be posting again soon.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: November 21, 2016, 08:41:26 pm »

Good oh! Can't wait to see some pictures.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: December 16, 2016, 02:37:35 pm »

Working on the section of the island that holds the 7 pair's of Carley floats. From the ship plans they are 8ft x 5ft.  so to scale to fit all seven to the side of the island and tether them they must not exceed 1 in in length.(2.5cm) and the tube should be around 0.15 inch.  I have not found anyone who makes that size and the one I can get are to large they are 2.85 cm in length.  So It looks like I will have to get some round polystyrene rods and bend to the shape.  Or make a wood template and then mould.  Only have to to 14 of them. so lots of wood work me thinks.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: December 22, 2016, 02:05:04 pm »

As an idea, single core electric wire can be bent into good shape for carley rafts and the like. Keep the insulation on for thickness and hide the joint with tape.   Cheers   Geoff

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2017, 08:08:00 pm »

Well Happy New Year to one and all.  All the best for 2017.

Well had a few goes at making the 8ft x 5ft carley raft and finally finished with the two that I have made.  Looked at making the raft from plastic tubing.  Even with heat could not get the size correct.  To match the scale of 1/96.  That made the raft 1 inch long. So took a bit of 6 mm ply.  Marked the outline of the raft on to it.  Marking the holes to be drilled for the rope work later. Cut out the shape and then filed down to the thickness I wanted and then with sand paper and my drimel rounded the edges until I had the shape that I wanted.  Using a 0.45mm drill bit, I drilled out the marked holes for the wire to make the rope work stand out in my mould.  The wire came from some very fine wiring, 0.25mm strands.  Using tweezers I laced this wire first one way wrapping around the inside of the raft left to right.  Then laced the wire right to left using the same holes to create the crossing effect on the inside of the raft.  I then using some spot solder, solder the ends of the two laced wires to the holes in the raft.  The hardest part was to lace the top circle rope and then the cross ropes that do the complete diameter of the raft. 

Think they came out OK.  Now to make the wood floor with match sticks cut down to match the size and bond into the base of the raft.  Will do that next week.  Once done will make a mould and run off some singles and some doubles for the deck island. 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2017, 09:35:13 pm »

Hi Paul, from long experience and the desire to reduce your quivering in the corner as your one hundredth raft comes out with bits of rope missing  %%

When applying round rod or wire to a flat surface make sure that there is a good solid join between them so that the join is both strong and helps the resin/metal flow into the rope detal negative. I use half round plastic strip for much of my beading detail, but sometimes you have to use true round material as a rope never looks right like that, but I always add a fillet using superglue or a slurry of MEK/Plastic weld and styrene. You can do the latter even on non plastic models as the slurry is a bit thick and stays in places the MEK wouldn't.

The three examples drawn below show the Half round method which as I mentioned can look bulky, then the round on round without fillet showing the small contact area, thus the small amount of space for resin to get through and finally round on round with fillets increasing the contact area greatly.

I hope this helps.

Pond weed is your enemy

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »

Just read this from start to finish (so far) and it's an epic build  :-)) great work and I will be following rest of the progress of this amazing build

Well done Paul

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2017, 12:39:21 pm »

Thanks for your comments, and hope you enjoy as the build goes on.  I have not been doing much work at the moment as I have not been well and have had family concerns.  But feeling better and the garage will be clear of the trailer tent and will have room to carry on with the rubbing down and painting the hull.  Also the instillation of the running gear.  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2017, 08:30:04 pm »

I can't wait for you to start your 2017 building season Paul  :-)) I am pleased to hear you are on the mend.
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:45 pm »

The turret on the right has been painted Medium grey 507B. The other turret is the base primer that I use.  Do not think there is much in it.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:56 pm »

The right hand one is greener than the left one which is bluer, but they are very similar in darkness certainly in some light.

Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2017, 10:28:12 pm »

Paul......I believe these would have been painted with the same paint as the Citadel and the hull.......so which is the selection for those?..............

The first image lists the right turret as Medium grey 507B ...this would get my vote as the most representative.....[from the colour images of the RN Fleet from that period]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:30 am »

Your are correct Derek, the turret on the right is the correct colour for the period of this build.  The problem is finding a match in a large quantity to paint a 8 ft hull and the center island, plus all the inner decks and peripheral.  So to the keen eye the primer I am using is a close match but in certain light it would appear blue in colour.  The 507B does what it is meant to do look green against the sea.

So with the sample turret I am off to find a match using car body colours to match.  That way the big area can be sprayed and the smaller area can be brushed pained.  Here's hoping.  If I find the match will let others know the colour code and from which manufacture of vehicle paint it matches. 

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2017, 06:25:37 pm »

Hi Paul  just a thought if as you say the primer is a reasonable colour why not just use that to spray the hull etc. and finish it with a sealing coat of clear semi matt varnish,  the hull bottoms on most of mine are just red oxide primer, and as for the over all finish IMO it's best not to try and get perfection naval vessels are never that. 
At least the rubbing down will give you plenty of exercise.   O0 ok2

Joe
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.