Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle steamer, 'Westward Ho'  (Read 3536 times)

mickyrubble

• Full Mayhemer
Paddle steamer, 'Westward Ho'
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:51:22 pm »

Hi,im trying to gather info on a paddle steamer called  'Westward Ho' published in the Practical Mechanics magazine magazine. I have the November 1954 and January 1955 and im looking for the rest of the articals to complete the build.If you have magazines or are able to photocopy them i will cover any costs involved.
Has any one built a model of the  PS Westward Ho ,have you any opinions on the build :-) :-)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Practical Mechanics magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:06:13 pm »

Having built 2 paddle steamer (both steam powered)I can give you some advice on the subject. Most important, the super structure must be as light as possible. Scale draft can make life difficult, has your plan increased the depth? I would recommend an inch (25mm) or more. I built the Glen Usk, P & A Campbell's the same as Westward Ho.  Built to scale 48/1 a draft of 1.5 inch, had to resort to lead keel 6" below the hull.  The second The Duke of Devonshire, depth increased by one inch still tender but all ballast is internal. For information on Westward Ho I can recommend Chris Collard's books on the White Funnel Fleet. My Duke build can be seen here.
 http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5011.0 Any questions You can P.M. me.

6829richard

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Paddle steamer, 'Westward Ho'
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 11:52:37 am »

Hi. I'm new to the forum so apologies if I mess up by adding to this thread which I appreciate is now of some age. My uncle built the 1:48 scale Westward Ho from the 1954/55 Practical Mechanics magazine. This was around 1972 (so the articles would have been of some age even then) when I was a kid and we sailed it on Blackheath pond (South East London). I recall we also once took it to a gala on a pond in Hyde Park. I believe the article advocated steam power whereas "my" Westward Ho is electric (security alarm battery) with a 2 channel remote. My uncle has unfortunately passed on but in his time was a keen modeller having also built a model of Campbell's Ravenswood along similar lines (wheelhouse behind the funnel - how did they ever steer the real thing?) and a fishing boat (also from a kit, probably early 60's). I now have Westward Ho and the fishing boat and my cousins the other various boats.

I've spent 20 years inundated with mortgages and bringing the kids up. Now they're a bit more independent I really should blow the dust off Westward Ho, carry out the repairs needed and get it going again (ditto fishing boat). Any advice as to where I can buy scale plastic portholes, metal railings and railing standards etc in South East London/North Kent?

I tried attaching photos to this message but the file size is too large. If anyone wants me to forward photos then please message me and I'll email them. I've probably rambled too long but suffice to say someone did build a Westward Ho from the Practical Mechanics article. Wonder if there are many more?

All the best Richard

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 12:41:33 pm »

Hi Richard,  you will probably find what your looking for at  www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk  they stock a large range of fittings in most scales, thought some are sold by size so you would have to work out the size you want, scroll down the left side to boat fittings , listed under each manufacturer, they also stock just about anything else needed for modelling and a reliable mail order company,  I have no connection with this company just a very satisfied customer for many years.  :-))

Malcolm R

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »

Hi Richard,
I started to build "Westward Ho" from the Practical Mechanics drawings, but I was told that these were not very close to true scale, so I switched to a set of drawings provided by a Campbell enthusiast. The model pictured in the PM articles was not built to  the drawings in those same articles.
Mine is now nearly finished, but scale draft and heavy superstructure probably means it would'nt be much good on the water. Still, it looks good. I have the Collard books, so if if you want help with detail contact me.
Malcolm.

philh18

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 11:33:04 am »

My Dad started to build the Westward Ho from the 1954 Newnes, Practical Mechanics articles in about 1965.  He is unfortunately no longer with us but he did manage to build the bread and butter hull complete with the majority of the roughing out work. 

My brother started to pick up on the project and has built part of the engine (two cylinder slide valve).  He has some of the articles relating to the power plant and hull profile but I believe that a good proportion of the articles are missing. 

From reading previous comments on this and other forums, it is clear that the model is less than perfect.  For example, even I can see that the engine is non reversing and the boiler is fired using meths.  These details can easily be sorted by changing over to gas and considering another set of eccentrics to reverse the engine.  The power plant might even need a complete redesign to allow for independent paddle drive.  I also understand that the boat details are not necessarily as accurate as they could be.  However, it would be great to see this project getting closer to completion.

So my first appeal.  Does anybody have or know how I could obtain a complete set of articles for the model please?  I would of course pay a reasonable rate/ expense to get hold of a set.

Philh18
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.