Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I know where to mount my rudder?  (Read 1369 times)

Dave Bardick

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
How do I know where to mount my rudder?
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »

Hi,

I'm entirely new to flex shafts/stubs and separate rudders and can't find any information on positioning the offset rudder on my deep-v toy boat conversion.

I've followed previous advice and sourced all my parts from PMB including a 95mm rudder, transom-mounted, extending 45mm rearwards.

I can see from online images that most people fit these to the right of the stub (when looking at the rear of the boat) but can't work out how much of my rudder should be immersed? I understand that mounting the rudder "low" might evoke a flip or two? I know nothing!

I'm not expecting this boat to fly however, it's 29" long, is made of blown plastic and weighs nothing. I fully expect it to disintegrate on impact with anything too hefty. I enjoy the build. I also enjoy wear, tear and the occasional spectacular destruction!

I'm running a 2860 2600kv in-runner via a 4mm flex/stub. I thought I'd not waste too much money on the project but prefer starting with a slower setup. I understand that this motor set up with a 435 prop'll not equate to tonnes of speed but that's probably best.

Although I have trim tabs and turn fins to hand I'm wondering if I really need to fit them.

Cheers,

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.