Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Coventry build  (Read 155351 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Coventry build
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2014, 10:03:34 am »

I know people say that challenging yourself is a good thing, sometimes sticking to what you know is the better way especially in the case of materials. I have worked with plastic for ages and know its foibles. It can perish and joins can split over time. What adhesives are you using?

Taa for the tips on tinning the ends of leads. I will use this when I am at the electricky stage of construction.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2014, 10:23:29 am »

I mainly use Admiralty glues thin Cyanoacrylate professional on plastic or ply/wood, assembled dry and the cyano run into the joint the bond is instant and strong especially on wood, I guarantee you will destroy the wood before the joint, I also use plastic cement on fiddly small structures as it allows a longer assembly time, and of course epoxy 5 Minuit and 30 minute for shafts, deck etc.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2014, 10:42:30 am »

Sorry Joe....I missed the servo linkage arm going astern to the rudder  :embarrassed:

What sort of ratio angularity do you get on the stabilizer blades when you reach full rudder movement?.....

Probably a better way of one stick control effectively over the 5 blade surfaces  :-))..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2014, 01:27:01 pm »

Hi Derek, yes there's a lot going on in that photo,  the angle of the stabilizers pretty much matches the rudders, I think any more angle than that would probably cause too much drag, it will be interesting to see what or if any effect they will have, I can lessen the angle using the holes in the tiller arm if necessary but that's a long way off.  :-))
Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2014, 04:37:04 pm »

I did the battery holders today, I am inclined to forget this till after the deck is on and then it's more difficult to get at, and then made a start on the deck setting out the superstructure footprint, cutting and the initial fit, next I'll cut out the access hatches, the type 42's allow two quite large hatches, I tend not to make them fit the deck structures but keep them well under, just large enough to get to what ever is under them and have an upstand around them, I use blocks to locate the structures.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2014, 10:33:50 pm »

The simple act of putting the deck on top of the hull makes such a difference to how far a project has come. I laid the forecastle on my HMS Ready and it has brought it alive.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2014, 11:26:13 am »

yes I know what you mean, it kind of changes a hull into a boat.

before I get too far with the deck I have to fit the deck gun servo, so I thought I'd make up the Mk 8 to see the best way to connect it to the servo, I ended up making my own barrel, I'm not a big fan of white metal I'm sure it's fine for statics in cases but quite vulnerable when taking boats around exhibitions, the base moulding is not designed to be turning so I had to carefully cut where is turns, I got away with it without breakage so is now ready for fitting.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2014, 07:20:30 pm »

White metal shrinks and pressure on the mould will cause the parts cast to become thinner therefore what began in scale becomes out of scale assuming the part was designed in scale to begin with.

Over the years I have found many drawings to be far from correct in the base dimentions. I am currently designing a Whippet tank for a company in 1:72nd scale. The plans I have are noted as 1:48th scale but come out as 1:55th, a country mile out! Not only that but the widths and lengths of each view are not the same so I had to work out scaling formulas for each view so that the parts are accurate.

There are lots of pitfalls in the process of modelmaking. the difference in size between the casting and your brass barrel shows how different people interpret a piece and how parts end up.

Nice piece of brass Joe!

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2014, 05:20:46 pm »

Fitted the deck gun servo, on my other boats with turning turrets the turrets have been large enough to bond a round servo horn on the under side and mount directly on the servo post protruding though the deck, this Mk 8 auto gun is a lot smaller and I wanted to use the base that I cut in two pieces so I fitted a piece of treaded rod in the servo post locked with epoxy this protrudes though the deck and the base, I drilled a 5mm hole in the bottom of the turret and bonded in a piece of fuel tube this is pushed on the rod and is gripped quite firmly, A trial proved it works well enough, also on my others I've fitted a P96 to expand and slow the movement, I will fit one on this boat to increase movement but as the MK 8 is a fast training gun I'll leave the servo speed as is , also cut out the access hatches.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2014, 10:57:05 am »

I tackled a very fiddly bit I wasn't looking forward to, the rims around the quarter deck openings, made more tricky by the early batches round transom, I think I got away with it, by the time it's blended in with paint, before this I boned in the quarter deck, next I think the main deck can be bonded on leaving the flight deck off till I do the detailing below it.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »

That was well worth the effort Joe. Those curves are pretty tidy. Look on the bright side, that is one complex job out of the way.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2014, 08:44:15 pm »

Very well done.   :-))

I imagine it's not easy bending and shaping in 3 D.  it looks just right.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »

Thanks, seeing the excellent work that the mayhem members post has taught me not to shy away from a challenging part of a build, and because of that I learn a bit more with each build I do and hopefully improve.  :-))

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2014, 10:42:35 pm »

Sorry just dropped in on this one really great work going on here.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »

On all my boats I like to have the RC switch on the deck somewhere disguised as a deck fitting, luckily I remembered this just before I bonded the deck on, the switch fitted to the ESC is too tiny to do anything with so I adapted a mini switch to make it operate though the deck, I'll fit a vent or something to it later the first one I did has a ammo box that slides for on and off, the other two have vents that pull up for on.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2014, 08:45:17 pm »

Very clever idea.   :-))

i assume the bar will be supported by a hole in the deck as well.  As it is, at the moment it looks as if it might slip off the toggle.

Cheers

ken

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »

That's right Ken, the hole in the support is a way of holding the switch rod in place till the deck is on, the Clevis also is fitted through a hole in the switch lever, then I'll fit an air vent on top

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2014, 09:02:24 pm »

I do like this idea.  A larger amperage switch could be used but hidden from view where there is plenty of space.

Thanks

ken

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2014, 09:26:24 pm »

I inherited a Tug that has a switch hidden under a capstan. You model ship builders (and truckers!) are a resourceful lot!
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2014, 04:20:00 pm »

Got the deck bonded on today, next I'll fit the upstands around the access openings and add the detailing on the quarter deck, then prime the hull/deck.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »

Did some detailing to quarter deck, I'll add some more after priming, also did the anchor hawse using my usual method of using a large plastic drinking straw, and made a start on the upstands around the accesses.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2014, 11:56:32 am »

finished the upstands to the accesses, and pre fitted the flight deck, the bow bull ring and the anchor hawse collar are not included with the fittings from Sirmar so I had to improvise them, should look OK when painted.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »

Its coming along dandy Joe! I like the detail parts on the quarter deck. What is the 'Bull ring' made from?
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2014, 05:25:50 pm »

The bull ring is just a bit of plastic cut off a positive connector,  I've turned my attention to the superstructure and how to go about it particularly the forward end with the radius on the corners, so far it's going quite well, but there's a lot more complicated bits to come %% %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »

We have full confidence in you Joe!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.