Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Coventry build  (Read 155314 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Coventry build
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22:16 pm »

I am going to look up Solder paste, it sounds good stuff.

Lovely progress Joe, she is really starting to look finished. I know what you mean about getting back into things, I do something really simple and expendable if I SNAFU it accidently.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2015, 05:35:33 pm »

added some w/t doors, and a bit more detailing, I tend to do quite a lot of the detailing before priming it's mostly grey anyway and I think it blends it all in better.  :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2015, 08:25:45 pm »

I like the way this build is progressing Joe - and I've noticed how your pencil lines give you accuracy when placing the various bits and pieces for gluing O0 , a practice that I will be adopting for future builds. (the mk1 eyeball ain't what it used to be :embarrassed: ).

Keep it up - you're doing great :-))

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »

Many thanks Ray, yes I usually pencil in the detail using a photo as a reference so I don't have to keep looking at the photo, the detail stands out a bit too much at the moment but should be alright after a couple of coats of paint.  %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:45 pm »

And also a good idea, as you can get the dimentions of the parts you wish to place as you mark out. Then you can use these to make the parts if you have to scratch build them.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2015, 11:02:23 am »

Another busy area is the recess in forward end of the hanger again using a photo of this area as more of an inspiration than actually copying it, still a lot of detailing to do that is the bit I think I enjoy the most. O0

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2015, 12:26:02 pm »

Amazing watching it come together. A real masterclass.

One question Jo, you don't seem to have sealed the ply in the main structure. Will not the primer bring out the grain? This is the fear that keeps me using plasticard for my structures.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2015, 04:49:31 pm »

The ply I'm using is very high quality with a fine grain, I've never had a problem with painting it, it's already had a rub down with 400 grit paper, I spray prime it and leave it about an hour and check if there are any grain issues, then it gets a second coat of primer, the trick is to take your time when spaying light coats so as not to get it too wet, the top coat is hand brushed acrylic.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »

Fantastic work Joe, these small areas of detail do bring the best out of a model, what with the detail on the forecastle as well, this is turning into a medal winning project!
Pond weed is your enemy

Marc St Hilaire 60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Older but no wiser!
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2015, 09:17:13 am »

The ply I'm using is very high quality with a fine grain, I've never had a problem with painting it, it's already had a rub down with 400 grit paper, I spray prime it and leave it about an hour and check if there are any grain issues, then it gets a second coat of primer, the trick is to take your time when spaying light coats so as not to get it too wet, the top coat is hand brushed acrylic.

Thanks Jo, that's useful to know. I suppose that's what I get for using cheap ply from Wickes!  :}

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2015, 05:10:52 pm »

A bit more detailing done, I only had a grainy photo of this area, so this is just my interpretation of what I think it looks like  %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2015, 08:34:54 pm »

I think we would be a bit prudish if we criticised your work in this area as it is still well detailed and once painted will look the part. I cannot claim to know much at all about type 42s except for what they did and the general shape.

It would be brillant to see a 'Fleet review' of 1980's model warships on a lake somewhere one day:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2015, 05:29:16 pm »

Some of the detailing although enjoyable can be quite tedious like cutting the 10 pairs of brackets out of .5 styrene for the fwd life raft canisters, having already done 8 pairs for the aft ones, and then lining them up and gluing them in place, I think one side is enough for today. %% %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2015, 10:15:51 pm »

I have just realised the quality of the carpentary going on there seeing those dovetails along the superstructure side/deck! I bet that took some careful marking out. Are you using cyano acrylate or epocy to stick plastic to the ply? I apologise beforehand for asking a repeat question.
Pond weed is your enemy

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2015, 06:39:17 am »

Hi Joe.
 does this ID you box between the scott domes a bit better.
 frank
 photo Photo0191_zps1e98fcd1.png

photo Photo0195_zps621d333d.png

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:37 am »

I have just realised the quality of the carpentary going on there seeing those dovetails along the superstructure side/deck! I bet that took some careful marking out. Are you using cyano acrylate or epocy to stick plastic to the ply? I apologise beforehand for asking a repeat question.

I use Admiralty Glues Professional thin cyano for the majority of the build it's about twice the price of standard cyano  but it's worth it, and  I use the usual poly cement for small styrene structures as it gives more time to get the joint aligned.

Thanks for that Frank you can never have too many photos, at least I put the w/t door in the right place and had planned, after painting, to put a ladder where the one is in the photo :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2015, 01:22:55 pm »

There are a lot of things in photos that Coventry never had fitted, like the platform on the front of the radar base, I have a photo of Coventry leaving Portsmouth shortly before her deployment to the Falklands I use this as my main reference, I'm trying not to fit items that she wouldn't have had that have been fitted to the 42s refits since the Falklands.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:37 pm »

Sorry Joe, your efforts at refreshing my memory reminded me that you had indeed told us what glue you use. Thankyou for your patience, 'Is it Thursday?'
Pond weed is your enemy

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2015, 10:33:04 pm »

Hi Joe,

Just spent a very pleasant evening going through your build . . . I must say your doing a cracking job!

I love the way you use a blend of materials to get a practical solution to whatever problem you encounter. Your scratch building is excellent and I admire the neat and tidy finish you achieve as you go along.

I recently discovered the joys of solder paste and although its not cheap, a little goes a long way. Do you have the self clean version?
Makes you wonder how we managed before especially on fine detail.

Will be follow the rest of your build with interest

longshanks

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2015, 10:40:04 pm »

Sorry Joe, your efforts at refreshing my memory reminded me that you had indeed told us what glue you use. Thankyou for your patience, 'Is it Thursday?'

No problem Ian, but I've given up remembering what day it is.  %% %% %%

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2015, 10:48:10 pm »

Thanks for your interest Longshanks, yes I have the self cleaning solder paste, as you say it's very expensive but I find it a lot easier to use than standard solder and tend to use less heat so get less distortion of thin brass.
Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »

I thought I would add detail to one wall/surface at a time, I don't pretend to know what every item is for or what it dose, I'm not a naval engineer nor have I served on any ships, it's more like making it resemble the plan and as I'm using the plan for HMS Glasgow before the post Falklands refits I'm happy that it is close enough to HMS Coventry  ok2

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2015, 07:01:18 pm »

Better that way than try and do several at one time, have to leave it, and then have to reacquaint yourself with the references.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: January 20, 2015, 10:57:22 am »

Looking closely at the photos I realised I had misread the plan and the pipe work I had joined to the centre structure was wrong the pipes are actually RAS connection points the RAS winch close by should have given me a clue, I have now corrected it and won't show when painted.  %%

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: January 20, 2015, 02:10:19 pm »

Well spotted Joe - and a good recovery as well :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.