Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D design software for Mac?  (Read 6304 times)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
3D design software for Mac?
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:58:46 pm »

Looking for some software, preferably free, that will run on Mac OSX 10.6. Has anyone got any suggestions or links to some known safe downloads? Found a couple that looked good but either dodgy websites for the download, or downloaded and then found it needed OSX 10.8

Thanks.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: 3D design software for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:06:00 am »

If its for boats have you tried Delftship? It comes in two flavours (windows and mac) for general 3d lots out there none of it really free. Even the 'free' stuff from the likes of torrent sites usually comes with attached spyware etc.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:42:20 am »

I got a 3D printer, so now I have to learn 3D modeling too.

I'm using SketchUp. There's a free version that lacks some features (solid tools, mostly) that can be upgraded to full capacity by buying a license. SketchUp is relatively easy to use. There are tutorials on Youtube.

I've also installed Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for personal/non-commercial projects. Haven't had time to play with it that much but it seems quite powerful. Again there are tutorials on Youtube. Min requirements say MacOS 10.7 though.

I read on 3DP forums that Designspark Mechanical is interesting but it seems it runs only under MS Windows.

There's also OpenSCAD, which is a parametric solid modeller. I haven't tried it yet. Objects are described as instructions ("draw circle at X,Y,Z radius R") instead of "drawing" them with your mouse. It is a little ... dry but very appropriate for  simple components with precise dimensions and alignments.

What kind of CAD do you want to do ?
What would you do with those CAD files ? Turn them into blueprints ? Have parts 3D printed ? Use milling/laser cutting equipment to get parts from the model (ie: 2D projection) ?

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/brlcad/

BRL-CAD should work on 10.6 from what I can work out…

It *may* need xquartz to run it.

Worth a look?

What does it say here….

"BRL-CAD has been the primary tri-service solid modeling CAD system used by the U.S. military to model weapons systems for vulnerability and lethality analyses for more than 20 years."

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:20 pm »

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I had delftship on my old laptop, but couldn't remember what it was called to download it again.

Basically I have an image in my head of a Battleship/aircraft carrier trimaran crossover, I just need to be able to put it all on a computer and then take cross sections to print out and use as templates for bulkheads. Preferably something where I can draw it in roughly, and the drag the lines to tweak it. Probably asking for too much but anything that saves me having to buy some large paper and drawing it by hand will be better.

Cheers.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:40 pm »

Have you thought of running a windows Virtual machine through parrallells or bootcamp?
opens up all of the windows options.

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:02:44 pm »

I can't seem to find a download for delftship for mac. The others are all 10.7 minimum.

Have thought about that sort of thing, partly because theres several games I want that are windows only. But doesn't that require partitioning the hard drive? which can only be done with a fresh install? I've only got 30gb left on my HD.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:07:55 pm »

depends if you use a disk image in parrallells as this will create an image file like a DMG file on the existing partition
Boot camp assistant can be run at any time, it will Crete the bootcamp partition on the fly

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:55 pm »

depends if you use a disk image in parrallells as this will create an image file like a DMG file on the existing partition
Boot camp assistant can be run at any time, it will Crete the bootcamp partition on the fly

Thanks, I'll have a little play around with bootcamp. If I can't get on with that I think I'll upgrade to bigger hard drive and then partition it from the start, run 10.6 on part and windows on the other.

Just realised I had delftship on an old windows PC not on my old mac.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:39:16 pm »

if you do use bootcamp no need to partition as BCM will create the partition of you choosing when you run it

Have a look at the seagate momentus XT hard drives, they are hybrid drives, part SSD and part conventional Hard drive.  They really make a macbook perform well (about 50 quid for 750gb)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »

if you do use bootcamp no need to partition as BCM will create the partition of you choosing when you run it

Have a look at the seagate momentus XT hard drives, they are hybrid drives, part SSD and part conventional Hard drive.  They really make a macbook perform well (about 50 quid for 750gb)

I'm going a bit off track now, but.... I was looking at the hybrid drives a while back, but wasn't sure how reliable it'd be. I use macupgrades.co.uk to get my stuff and they only list 1 hybrid drive as being suitable when I put in my serial no. http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=821

My mate put a 1TB 5400rpm drive in his MBP, and replaced the optical drive with a 60GB SSD, runs the OS on the SSD and stores photos, music and files on the 1TB. Runs really quick, was like having a new laptop all over again. So I think I will look at 1 of those hybrids, and do the same.

Back on subject, ish, had a bit of a play around this afternoon. Looks like bootcamp isn't on my mac, will dig out the install discs and see if it's been accidentally deleted. I did find another program, called crossover 7.1.0 which seemed very promising, allowed me to download a few windows programs I wanted, but when it came to actually running them it kept crashing, had to force close the program and then restart my laptop a couple of times, also seemed to use about 10GB of my hard drive. So the search for a solution continues, though a new hard drive with OSX/Windows partitions is looking the most likely at the moment.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 01:39:38 pm »

Crossover has pretty poor support
Wineskinning is a better option
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.