Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the RNLI having the luck of the Irish?  (Read 2291 times)

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
Is the RNLI having the luck of the Irish?
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:05:30 pm »

I understand that the Shannon class is experiencing more issues. A fellow lifeboat enthusiast has been in touch with HQ and they are not now apparently releasing any drawings to modellers this year due to possible changes.

I need to wait for a 'stable' boat on station so I'm giving up on it.

I'm into 1/12 Fairy Huntsmen now. Fantastic boat.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
Re: Is the RNLI having the luck of the Irish?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:17:34 pm »

You will always find this with a new boat. Sea trials can really only go so far. Its when the boat is used for its intended purpose that you discover changes that need to be made. They may be subtle changes but they may also be dramatic changes which is why they are probably holding off on releasing plans.

Declan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:52 pm »

Changes happen on an almost continuous basis with lifeboats. Most classes come out of a refit with some change or other that seriously affects modelmakers.
Trents and Aruns (and others too) started life with aluminum hulls only to change to GRP laminate later and with a change of shape so big changes have always been the name of the game.
The Shannon has been around a while now, in several forms over maybe seven years (?).
Why dont the RNLI actively promote model makers who raise so much money with their models? I'm not talking about commercial interest for the likes of me but of the everyday true enthusiast.

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 05:25:17 am »

Unfortunately that's the way the cookie crumbles. Lifeboat changes evolve as feedback comes from the crews who use them. As I said, sea trials are just that. They hammer out and test sytems to see what fits and the RNLI will have no hesitation in rejecting a design that doesn't fit the purpose for which it is intended - look at FCB1. It was rejected and a new hull designed. Maybe that is the Irish luck - no compromise on safety for the crew  :-))

The RNLI are very protective of their image and won't promote anything that will take away from it.

Declan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:11:35 am »

Good points, well made.

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »

I've learnt a lot regarding how the RNLI operates. We know we are getting a shannon at our station but until I'm sitting in it, i'll put the champers on hold  {-)  It might even look a lot different to what is currently on the coast. Having the in-house facility is going to be interesting.

Declan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.