Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless in a Seaport  (Read 4089 times)

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Brushless in a Seaport
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:33 am »

I managed to kill my springer tug a few weeks ago and had started to design/sneak the bits for its replacement. While trawling through the bits box  in the loft for  a coupling to fit my brushless motor I found a old Seaport hull I had been given by someone.
Then I got thinking, what would the seaport go like with one of these bad boys in it(brushless outrunner 650 Kv) running at 6v? Brought the idea with the local shop and I just got a strange look %)
Sat at work wondering at the momment as it very quite.

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brushless in a Seaport
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:52:48 am »

The hull may not lend itself well to this conversion, but I'd be curious to see what you achieve :)

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:06:58 am »

Just been doing some math and it might be a tadge overpowered! Well, at 18v it has about 1.2 kw at full chat.
I think the brushed motor would be a 700/750.
So if I put the two 7.2v NiC in there it would be uncontrolaby quick probably just before it died

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:08 am »

Or it might just capsize the first time you do a powered turn :D

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:29:14 am »

Cool. If I make sure its sealed tight I get a sub for free %%
As there is no work on I have been tasked with tydying up some of the forgotten corners of the workshop.
Just found a box of dead electric drills so I am now taking them apart looking for a more suitable motor as they all look about 540 ish size

setsunakaede

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:16:58 pm »

Maybe I am a bit late with my reaction - I installed a 1100Kv outrunner in my Seaport Workboat. That needed a bit of reworking, because I used a longer shaft and the particular outrunner I used is one of the aircraft-types with the flange on the backside. It is WAAAY overpowered now, but surprisingly stable. And because it is an outrunner, it is no problem to just go about at 20% throttle or so - plenty power left to spare for a little tug of war or a heavy object to haul  :-))
Just make sure your deck seal is OK and fit a set of stabilizer fins to either side (not sure what that is in English - in dutch we call them Kimkielen) and you should be fine.

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:29:17 pm »

Lol, I like the idea of overpowered. Currently the plan is for the motors to go into a MMB tug hull I have acquired and a 580 for the seaport. I was going to take up the idea of a pair of bilge keels(Kimkielen) to help keep it upright when using non scale speeds with my nephew - the seaport may even gain a brushless for that extra bit of "cool" for him
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.