Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/128 anti torpedo netting  (Read 5495 times)

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
1/128 anti torpedo netting
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:25 pm »

Guys has anyone managed to model WW1 anti torpedo nets, if so what did you use to model them?

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/128 anti torpedo netting
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:25:45 am »

I've seen net curtain used

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:57 pm »

cheers I'll give it a go, there must be a pair lying about somewhere  :-))

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »

I use dressmakers/haberdashery product called  Tulle

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »

I also use "Tulle". I found in practice the best way was to cut a long narrow strip and then wrap it spirally round a brass rod and then bind with cotten in the opposite direction. If you try to wrap it lengthwise it is very difficult! You can also twist it once its on  the rod to tighten things up.

The brass rod can then be pulled out and the "Tulle" sprayed whatever colour you want.

For working models I seal the end of the ariel wire and push it lengthwise through the "Tulle" tube so its virtually invisible.

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »

Thanks guys, a visit to the wee fabric shop coming up  :-))

irons01

• Full Mayhemer
  • 1/72 HMS Hambledon built and sailing....
    • Facebook build page
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:36:50 pm »

Making the anti-torpedo nets for Dreadnought, I tried Geoff's method but I couldn't get the tulle edges to lay flat (the edges always seems to stick out. So I came up with a modified method.

I got some netting from John Lewis this morning, and cut a strip off, then started to roll lengthways (obviously I wouldn't roll the 2m length needed per side at once, so I used a tube of the right internal diameter to the required finished netting roll, pushing the roll through the tube allows you to roll behind. Once it started poking out of the end you can tie it off, pulling the roll through from now on allows the netting to tighten then relax, forming a nice tube / roll. Then it's just a case of finger rolling behind, pulling through and tie off as you go. You then end up with a roll of uniform diameter, and with the edge all down one side (rather than spiral) and this edge can be put against the deck to hide it.

Hope this makes sense, and here's a couple of pics.

Ian

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:52:32 pm »

That is inspired Ian! So simple. Its these sort of ideas that make the daunting understandable.

Pond weed is your enemy

irons01

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook build page
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:23:14 pm »

No problems, and here is a pic of the stb net installed (1/72 scale), I think the only thing I wish I had done in a different order is to put in the net retaining wires (that go over the brailings) before I put in the net on, gluing the wires in place after the net was down was a bit tricky.... Overall I'm happy with the result

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:38:19 pm »

Now, that is a smart looking roll of netting - I'll store that idea away for future reference O0 :-))

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 07:07:08 pm »

Amen Captain.
Pond weed is your enemy

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 09:43:07 pm »

No problems, and here is a pic of the stb net installed (1/72 scale), I think the only thing I wish I had done in a different order is to put in the net retaining wires (that go over the brailings) before I put in the net on, gluing the wires in place after the net was down was a bit tricky.... Overall I'm happy with the result

Cheers, will try this as everything else I've tried requires at least 2 pair of hands.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 09:36:30 pm »

Looking at the railings and the supports for the awnings. When call to action was announced (Old salts please do correct me on my rubish terms), were parts of the railings and suppports dismantled or did the turrets just trash sections that were then replaced/repaired after action? My thinking is that the sections would have been removed except in real emergancies as you can only carry so much stanchion and cable.

My reason for asking is for when one builds a model with working turrets that might get caught up with such deck attire you have spent hours making, that might damage the workings of the turret and the deck/hull side.

Pond weed is your enemy

irons01

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook build page
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:44 am »

Looking at the below pictures of Dreadnought cleared for action it looks like everything was just folded inward, and then this leaves the deck edges clear for the turrets to train outwards....

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 11:37:56 am »

Now that makes ship modelling easier:O) Thanks Irons01
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 01:57:28 am »

irons01.......brilliant images of the 12lb QF [quick fire] guns on top twin 12" turrets  :-))...however there is always morn than meets the eye  O0

Talking with some older folk many years ago in Weapons for the RAN,......it all came to light

Taking the Q turret on a Dreadnaught, that turret had a firing arc of some +/- 40 degrees of athwart ships naturally on both port & stdb sides, however the 12 ponders mounted on the turret roof were independently gear trained, so that their firing arc was similar at  +/- 40 degrees of athwart ships naturally on both port & stdb sides

In the images below, I have highlighted in the RED circle are the Belleville spring cupped double acting washer sets....in the RED square is the train buffer stop

So the logic behind this is if the 12" mount trained 40 degrees to fwd, and the 12 ponder trained 40 degrees to fwd, the 12 pounder would be facing at 80 degrees fwd and blow the midships structure away  <*<.........

Such a pity.......and we find so little in written text about these monolithic mechanical structures or weapons of war............... Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.