Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: liquid glue  (Read 7976 times)

spike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
liquid glue
« on: August 05, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »

hi can someone tell me how good and how long so set please on liquidsolvent cement and is it better than plasti-zap or is there something out there thats better thanks

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: liquid glue
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »

Liquid Plastic Weld  is probably the best of the solvent glues for plastics. Place the two parts together, then brush the glue down the join. It will wick in and start bonding the joint almost immediately. Working strength in about ten to twenty minutes, full strength overnight. Humbrol Liquid Poly and Revell Contacta are slightly slower drying versions of the above, may not be quite so effective on such a wide range of plastics. Airfix type tube glues were always  recommended for Harveys HFM Kits, providing a slower drying, but tougher bond, due to the thicker nature of the glues. I dont have any experience with Plasti-Zap or MekPak, or the new generation of safer solvents like the Tamiya ( orange juice?! ) cement.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:30:59 pm »

Hi,

I use Ambroid Pro-weld only seen it on 'fleabay' recently but it's strong and quick, has its health warnings as usual.

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »

If you are welding Styrene then go to a Plumbers Merchants and ask for Cleaning Fluid for plastic? solvent weld waste pipes,  NOT the adhesive! it is just the job AND cheaper.

Len, Ex Plumber.

spike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:21 pm »

is the new deluxe plastic magic any good and is it worth getting the pin flow or can you brush it help please

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »

I was under the impression that the liquid glues are basically a solvent with varying amounts of dissolved plastic in it to thicken it up. I use the Humbrol Liquid Poly.

I normally reinforce joints on the back by gluing thin plasticard across to increase the contact area.

I pay special attention along hull joints to glue a 1/2" plasticard strip over the joint to make sure there are no pin-holes - the capillary action of the glue bonds everything solid. Never had a leak in any model doing it this way.

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 04:41:32 pm »

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new glue called COLLA 21 . pretty amazing, It doesn't dry until you compress it in between 2 parts (get air out), so even if you leave the little pot open for a few hours, no problem!! it's super strong and glues all kinds of materials. great stuff  :-))
Have a great day !!!

Olav

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 04:46:43 pm »

is the new deluxe plastic magic any good and is it worth getting the pin flow or can you brush it help please

Just be wary, it a very strong solvent!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:03:43 pm »

Plasic magic is another Plasticweld like fluid that wicks in and evaporates very quickly leaving plastic joined and rapidly hardening. You can move parts around a little as well while the plastic join is still soft.

It is not as harsh on the nose as liquid poly and the like as it is dichloromethane and not a cellulose or stryrene based adhesive. Drill a hole in a block of wood to make a bottle holder as the bottle can be knocked over with humour killing results >:-o Been there, done it <:(

Pond weed is your enemy

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:54 pm »

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) with bits of styrene dissolved in it for thickening.  Available at hardware stores in pints, quarts (or maybe metric equivalents).  Cheap and works as well as the several $$ an ounce stuff.  I built my entire Loyal Tender with it, an all styrene boat.

Be very careful, this stuff and the other plastic dissolving adhesives are very flammable and not kind to the nose and eyes.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:54 am »

Hi all,

CG,
 MEK has been banned in Europe. (At least in the aircraft trade everywhere in Europe) We used to use it in the aircraft industry for degreasing and cleaning but was replaced by 'diestone' a few years back (may be known as other things in other factories)

As an apprentice people used to pour it into a plastic goblet and ask you to carry it to someone at the other side of the workshop, of course it dissolved the goblet and left you covered with goo! No health and safety in those days. :((

Spike
What material are you bonding?
It'll look better when it's finished!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:08 am »

Plastic magic and Plastic weld are not flammable, I have done experiments on it in my youth:O) And it just sizzles.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 01:25:27 pm »

Hi all,

CG,
 MEK has been banned in Europe. (At least in the aircraft trade everywhere in Europe) We used to use it in the aircraft industry for degreasing and cleaning but was replaced by 'diestone' a few years back (may be known as other things in other factories)

As an apprentice people used to pour it into a plastic goblet and ask you to carry it to someone at the other side of the workshop, of course it dissolved the goblet and left you covered with goo! No health and safety in those days. :((

I still use MEK where I work but we have to wear respirators and thick rubber gloves and its only to be used for de-greasing and activating the glue on neoprene covers. Its now banned for use on titanium structure because it pits the surface!!!

Best glue I use for plastic card is Revell Contacta glue in the fine applicator dispensors, superglue used in the kitchen unit industry we have found to be the best wood glue.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 07:08:19 pm »

Check reply #99 on this page.....

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49047.msg520391.html#msg520391

One bottle will last you a lifetime as long as you replace the cap. I pour some in to a smaller bottle for use and keep the large one in storage.

inertia

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 07:25:06 pm »

Here's my ha'pworth - I'm pretty sure the MEK in MEK-PAK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It would a helluva coincidence if it wasn't.
https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/mekpak.php
DM

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 06:51:50 am »

Inertia

I would also be inclined to agree that the MEK in MEK Pak was as said. It's still banned in the aircraft industry due to the amount and method of use. People poured it onto rags and cleaned entire surfaces with it, if you get it onto your skin it removes all the natural oils and turns your skin a sort of chalky white. My conclusion is that it must be just banned in its pure form or at least just in my industry.
 It was great at doing what it was supposed to do but 'evil' at the same time  ok2 .     U2

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 11:38:00 pm »

Inertia

I would also be inclined to agree that the MEK in MEK Pak was as said. It's still banned in the aircraft industry due to the amount and method of use. People poured it onto rags and cleaned entire surfaces with it, if you get it onto your skin it removes all the natural oils and turns your skin a sort of chalky white. My conclusion is that it must be just banned in its pure form or at least just in my industry.
 It was great at doing what it was supposed to do but 'evil' at the same time  ok2 .     U2

I work in aircraft industry but work mainly on american aircraft, We still use MEK in our place but i know we had problems getting a hold of it a year or so back. But as previously said we have to wear Gloves and face mask to use it.

James
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 08:16:28 am »

From what I remember when I used to buy the stuff (during a time when Gaugemaster did not have any Plastic weld for a period) The MEK meant something else that was less toxic but still used the acronym.

It certainly smelt a little different than the Dichloromethane in Plastic weld, I found it mildly nauseating and this encouraged me to buy my Plastic weld in boxes of twelve 500ml tins:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 10:17:44 pm »

thething 84, hi James I imagine you work on one of the Mild or Lake bases and wouldn't be surprised if the americans brought the MEK over with their other supplies. Just assuming that's all, its because im curious where you managed to get it...... U2

cavs995

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 10:09:26 pm »

Still using MEK in the RN, we use it in the Composite repair and Blade bays and in the Hydraulic bay as well.  Good stuff, but lethal!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.