Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unbound ?  (Read 2304 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Unbound ?
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:48:22 pm »

Strange. My cruiser HMS Skirmisher appeared to lose signal out on a fairly packed lake at our Black Park Regatta on Sunday. At the time I thought it was jammed prop/s, and indeed there was stuff wound round the shafts.

Checking it over today the Planet R6m Rx was flashing, as if unbound.  No rudder or motors.  Non Rx controlled functions OK.
In over three and a half years it has done a lot of hours, sailing up to twice a week  The binding button not operating (age?) so I popped into Mantua round the corner and got a new Rx.  Connected up.  Bound to Tx.   All working again.

Can 2.4GHz receivers get signal-swamped, or was this just a coincidental age related failure?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Unbound ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »

HI Mate

My understanding is the reciever can default, and goes to factory settings etc, just needs re-binding, posible that there was a drop in battery voltage.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:23:53 pm »

Maybe signal overload?  Unlikely to be low battery voltage as my giant SLA is good for at least six hours.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:34:57 pm »

I am having similar problems with my Spektrum DX5e and Orange DSM2 and DSMx receivers. I have never had problems until I bought a new DSMx version Tx. Now I keep having to rebind. Luckily, this happens off the water. On Saturday I checked the boats I planned to sail on Sunday. Got to the lake and one boat had come unbound. I am beginning to suspect the new Tx, and plan to go back to the old one. Only one Orange Rx is DSMx.
I do have some Spektrum DSM2 Rxs - not quite sure if they have given problems or not. I don't sail them as often as the Orange ones.

Barrie

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:02:34 pm »

Bob K

The possibility of your battery even though it is a large output, if the motors surged, i.e. sudden and violent switch from forward to reverse, could be enough to cause a voltage surge and the receiver dropping out.

How long had you been running? could the better been depleted?

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »

Bobk, if i had known you were in trouble I would have pushed you in with my boat......you know the one the big robbe Atlantis stuck in the middle of the lake with no wind around!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:14:00 pm »

Hi "klunk"  (tee hee !)  At the time I just thought it was a fouled prop.  I was up near the kids hire boats boom.
The Atlantis is a lovely big ship, but very light winds on Sunday.  At least we had no downpour like a few years back  O0

My pre-WWI ship has small motors and a mega battery, ideal for all-day scale speed cruising.  Only done 3 hours, so battery at well below normal usage limit.  Just odd the Rx was flashing today, as if it either became unbound or another fault.  New Rx and now working.  Strange.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »

Sounds like it became unbound. I had that a few times on my old c system until I upgraded to spectrum.  Virtually  no problems since then. I run 2 X to systems  one for sail boats  the other electrics.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.