Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3d printing question  (Read 4648 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
3d printing question
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:37:47 pm »

I was speaking to a gentleman on the shapeways 3d forum yesterday about printing a 1/200 scale swordfish and scaling it up  to 1/100 scale. he said I would loose a lot of detail!!! Am I being stupid??? You get better detail at 1/100 surely, he also quoted me 7 Euros to print in 1/200 but 21 euros in 1/100!!!
anyone have fuether info on this
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3d printing question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:18:56 pm »

I think it would be obvious that you would lose the detail if you scale up! At the smaller scale the detail is not there so if you enlarge the scale its absence will become more noticeable! The model will become coarser. You cannot add what is not already there!

As far as the cost is concerned, there will be 8 times as much material in the print as in the smaller version due to the scaling up process. Presumably it will also take a great deal longer so it is perfectly understandable.

Colin

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:48:35 pm »

+1 with what Colin said.

On very small scale models you can - and sometime have to - drop some of the details. Once you scale it back up there's literally nothing to scale up.

Regarding the cost it is actually quite a bargain. Printing time and material cost tends to correlate with the volume of the part (even though you won't actually print pure solids most of the time with FDM printers).

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 10:38:51 pm »

It should be possible to scan the other way.
If you made a 1/72 scale Swordfish and laser scanned it into the software you should get better definition at 1/96.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »

I always thought that HO/OO trains lacked the detail the N gauge trains had - and would have thought it would have been the other way round, but N gauge was more for the disconcerning modeller and not the mass produced easily played (and broke) with larger cousins (now mass production techniques have levelled that playing field), the same goes for the models I tend to build - I generally keep consistently with the 1/72nd scale being that the availability of a general assortment of troops and equipment, whereas 1/96 means scaling down and find it hard to find the same choice so I don't build in that scale, the only exception is Royal Soveriegn, as it was the only available decent sized vessel, I could have got the Heller at 1/100 but it would have been difficult to transport.

Going from the smaller to larger scale depends if the cad file can be added to, you scale up the smaller scale item and then add the extra or diminished detail - even if it was off a 1/72nd kit, a cleaned up cad model will have the same surface texture as the 1/200 providing the cad file is cleaned up.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »

On the difference in price.

Shapeways charge by volume of the printed item, so if you double the size of the model you increase the volume by 8 times.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:38:05 pm »

its like I used to teach the kids about volume - with oxo cubes, I put one on the table and said ok to double the size of the cube put one next to it and the same on the next face then fill in the gap, how many have you got - 4 they would say, but have you doubled the height, no, so they then had to add another layer so the total was 8, repeated this for tripling it and quadruple etc, they soon got it.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:16:49 pm »

I think you'll find the cost of 3D printing drops substantially in the next 12 months- new tech coming up which is much faster, as it's mainly (machine) time you're paying for. guess it depends how much of a hurry you're in.

dirkske

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 06:42:25 am »

I think you'll find the cost of 3D printing drops substantially in the next 12 months- new tech coming up which is much faster, as it's mainly (machine) time you're paying for. guess it depends how much of a hurry you're in.
Intrigued, can you provide a link to what you mean?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:06:38 am »

Look up HP 3D printers and carbon 3D CLIP. This technology is rolling out commercially within the next three months or so. Shapeways have an HP machine by AFAIK, they're not offering it for printing just yet, but they undoubtedly will. The HP printer is about ten times faster than existing SLS machines, so time taken to print parts will be much less, thus cost will reduce.

dirkske

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:32:23 am »

Look up HP 3D printers and carbon 3D CLIP. This technology is rolling out commercially within the next three months or so. Shapeways have an HP machine by AFAIK, they're not offering it for printing just yet, but they undoubtedly will. The HP printer is about ten times faster than existing SLS machines, so time taken to print parts will be much less, thus cost will reduce.
Looks promising, yet such a printer will not be on my 'desktop' any time soon. Depending on the parts one wants to make, a relatively cheap FDM at home for prototyping, having the final parts made via said technology might make sense though.
Sorry for going off topic

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:37 am »

Most companies are no longer looking at domestic 3D printing- the market is small beer compared with industrial uses. Even companies like 3D systems Corp have realigned their business to concentrate more on industrial partners than home users.

One company worth keeping an eye on is 'RIZE'. They have come up with a superb smaller machine, that while still expensive for a home user, it is the sort of thing that could sit within a home environment in terms of size. http://rize3d.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.