Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swastika  (Read 22408 times)

david5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Swastika
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2014, 09:25:35 pm »

We regularly have persons of the oriental persuasion emptying a bin bag full of bread in the pond,not to mention the people feeding the birds in front of the sign telling them not to !.
Good point,the rules are not exhibited anywhere in the park that I know of,there are general signs,but not as detailed as the rules on the web site.
David5

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »

Interesting

Back in 1982 the Civic Government (Scotland) Act was created. Section 112 of that document allows local authorities to make ‘management rules’ for public parks (and any other public land they manage). You can be expelled from land by a local authority officer for breaching these rules and excluded for up to a year, by Order (with a capital O, so you know it’s serious business). Failure to comply with a request to leave or breaching an exclusion order is an offence, punishable by a fine of up to £50.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2014, 03:48:42 am »

Looking from afar, did not the Council dismiss the complaint but a higher authority upheld it.
Seems to me that you need to determine who/what higher authority and on what basis the council was overruled.
Reading the by-law there is no offence/contravention.

Keep the club out and persue it as an individual and in need involve the media and also introduce the hightend terror tensions yet time and effort is being wasted on frivolous complaint. Do your freedom of information laws allow you to find out who and what the actual complaint was.

At the end of the day the allegation has to be proved by the complainant, so in a nutshell keep sailing as is.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2014, 08:15:04 am »

Interesting feature on BBC News today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29644591

"In the Western world the swastika is synonymous with fascism, but it goes back thousands of years and has been used as a symbol of good fortune in almost every culture in the world. As more evidence emerges of its long pre-Nazi history in Europe, can this ancient sign ever shake off its evil associations? "
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2014, 09:09:19 am »

I would also be inclined to challenge the "higher authority" and see who ruled and who is actually complaining. I believe you have the right to see who has made a complaint - habeus corpus - magn carta and all that - produce the body!

As an alternative as referenced below the swastika was used by numerous cultures before Hitler adopted it. However I believe the swastika was the other way round for good luck. You could be disengenious by placing the swastika the other way round, few people would notice the difference and then it cant be directly linked to Hitler albeit I suspect the busy body involved would lean on the "association" but that would be an interesting one to fight. When is a swastika not a swastika.

I would be inclined to agree with the others fight it as an individual and get the press involved, they would love it!

Good luck and keep us posted

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2014, 10:00:09 am »

It's intriguing how as a culture we ask that past horrors not be forgotten, so we don't repeat them, but at the same time we want to erase big chunks of that same past.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:03 am »

<:( As a person who's family suffered a great deal from the war,I am not offended by the swastika on a model boat it's part of the detail of the model,I as a person don't have any boats with swastika's on them not because I am offended but because I am not interested  in warships,what upsets me is people running around with swastika tattoo's without understanding the evil that those people did who wore it,the nazi's killed and injured a great deal of British people and it is still in the mind of some of us who suffered  indirectly,so let get it straight a swastika on a model boat is just detail nothing else,I would not mind betting the person complaining has never suffered and just a busybody who likes spoiling other peoples enjoyment,Ray. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2014, 12:14:52 pm »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:12 pm »

Hi David,

Surely you have the right to find out who made the complaint and which higher authority upheld it.

Should you then, under the provision of Rule 4.1, spot this person /higher authority in the park you then have the right to complain that they have caused you  "annoyance, offence, alarm and distress".

All the best
Sandy
(May or may not see you at the auction ... could be a chance to offload that nasty Nazi boat though  ok2 )

Apparently it is in contravention of rule 4.1 of the Management rules for public parks and green space for Edinburgh City coooncil quote;behaviour which causes(or in the opinion of a council official is likely to cause)annoyance ,offence,alarm or distress to any other park user.
I am reluctant to involve the club too much just now as we have had a tadoo with getting the pond cleared of Algie which involved the papers,it worked though,it did'nt go down too well with the coooncil,the parks did back us initially with this.
I am secretary,but as it's my boat I would like to keep the club involvement to the minimum just now,as I don't want the club to suffer on my account,no others have German boats.
I'll make some enquiries as to where I stand with this,if I make too much of this it might snowball and affect others.
David5

david5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2014, 06:37:54 pm »

Hello all,thanks for your input,I'm going to speak to the local councilor,it might help before I go much further,Sandy you won't be seeing it at your auction,not for a while yet anyway,nice try though.
One of the most irritating things about this is that the one person that complains hides behind a keyboard.
I have other boats with the same Swastika on the wheelhouse roof,so I'll one of those down next time !
David5

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2014, 06:15:08 am »

Hi,

Just a thought but if the swastika is on the deck it will be Aircraft Recognition Signal.

Regards

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:28 am »

Hello all I was intrigued by the programme on Radio 4 yesterday at 11:30 aboout promoting the swastika for what it was with a view to taking it away from the far right and restoring it as a symbol of peace.
Most people interviewed separated out the swastika on a red background as being distasteful.

I think in Norway there was a tatoo group promoting 13th. November as Swastika day.
This going to be a hard one though.  There is too much for people in their 60's and older to forget.

Some years ago I was visiting Munich and went to the Dachau concentration camp.  The place was partly restored to show what happened and most things pictures, artefacts were under the heading of "The Terror Years".

A trip to Dortmund model show some years ago showed German naval craft with a white sticker covering the swastika.  But you still know it is there.
However the busy body who objected to the showing of a swastika has no basis of being correct.  It is not illegal.
We see our own share of elected idiots not far from where I live.  One who is responsible for the Park thinks everyone should visit the very popular park and boating lake on their bicycles.
I assume some of them just cannot get proper jobs.
regards Roy

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »

Show them this:
Indicates the universality of the symbol.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:21 pm »

And, of course, there's a very ancient Swastika Stone on Ilkley Moor, just a few miles from here.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:07 pm »

Hi Dave
I am really scunnerred about the councils decision on this :(
Maybe we should get some of our WW2 Veterans (if we still have any) or even ex servicemen to write and complain to council about the decision .
There are other German WW2 boats in club as well
Kevs 1/72 Shcnellboat , Spuds Seehund and Johns U boat
Anyway cheers for now mate

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2014, 07:13:26 am »

Just a small thought...what if the boot was on the other foot, and a German family had complained about a boat flying the White/Red Ensign, or a Union Jack? I wonder what your council would have said to that?

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »

Did we not have an event the royal navy never flew the Ensign a while back at in case the red cross upset the  I think it was the turks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.