Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero-Naut Bella, sailing boat.  (Read 22942 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aero-Naut Bella, sailing boat.
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »

Hi all owners of a Bella.  I have one which is an unfinished project but mainly complete and every one of the widgets complete in a box. 
What I would like to know is did you make the mast removable?  If so was that by leaving the tabernacle on the deck and locating the mast in the tabernacle? 
Also when finished, I assume the cabin roof comes off but is the seating unit also removable?  I was thinking about water getting in.  There is a comment by Andy Cope in the Model Boats magazine review in June 2017 that she was only suitable for light to moderate winds.  Have you found this to be the case?
kind regards Roy

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 05:30:54 pm »

Hi roycv
I built one the other year , my mast is removable (for transportation purposes) i didn't fit the sail arm servo as i only wanted a sunday sailer.
I can post a few pics later if you want?
I'm happy with the performance in light to medium wind

Cheers
Spud

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:46 pm »

Hi spud, thanks for the response.  How have you made the mast locate on to the deck?  is your seating easy to remove is it a good seal?
regards Roy

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:49 pm »

Hi Roy

I glued the two foot pieces together and filed the slots (allowing for the varnish ) then glued on to the deck
Hope this helps
Tim

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »

And

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 10:15:06 pm »

Last one

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 10:16:19 pm »

Thanks very much spud.  Looks like you have done an excellent job as well.
kind regards Roy

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 10:30:18 pm »

Hi Roy,
Thanks Roy , I must admit that I'm happy with the result and enjoy sailing her
If I get chance tomorrow after work( and before its dark ) I will take a few pic's of the complete model , with the roof /sitting area out .

Good luck with your build

Tim

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2018, 09:15:57 pm »

Hi Roy

Unfortunately I didn't get home before it was dark tonight so this was the best i could do for now.
I made the rigging as easy as possible, not to plan but quickly set up at the pond side.
Tim

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 09:45:06 pm »

Hi.

i did away with the tabernacle altogether and made a mast jack instead. This makes the mast removable and setting up pondside very simple.

Cheers, Terry.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2018, 06:48:53 am »

Hi Spud and Terry, thanks for your pictures and notes.  I am dealing with a couple of problems and I think I will use the boat as an experiment but not yet settled on final outcome.  My one has been stored on its side and the keel weight has warped the keel to one side.  I have cured this by removing the lead weights and sandwiching the keel between 2 pieces of glued obechi and this has straightened  the keel.  I have sanded the now wider keel to an aerofoil section but it has now increased the displacement so I shall increase the lead keel weight to compensate.

I am also thinking of a sail change to another rig and may well move the rudder aft to be under the existing placing of the tiller on the model.  I can then put a rudder servo into the 'box' space at the stern.
I am concerned about the access under the seating to the servos, so that takes one of them away.

I have calculated the centre of effort of the sail plan and am working on the new sail layout.
Any comments welcome.

Regards Roy

Gwylan

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is great
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:17 pm »

I am in process of completing a Bella and on the whole have been very pleased with the result, particularly as I am a newcomer to model boat building.
However, on attempting to fit the two sections of bulb keel, I was surprised to find that the ready drilled holes did not line up and the hole in the fin was about 25mm out. Also, the fin was too wide for the recesses in the bulbs and needed about 4mm trimming from the after edge.   I have, of course rectified these little problems, but was very surprised to find them when the rest of the kit was so accurate.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 09:24:32 pm »

Hi Gwylan, just noticed this is your first post and nobody responded.  So a late welcome to Mayhem. 
I hope your model is now in the water and works well.  I have been tinkering with model yachts for years now and my version is still on going.  I have altered various parts to suit my ideas, but it is a pleasure to work with such a precisely cut out kit.  I have found some inaccuracies in the assembly of the one I have but nothing that cannot be remedied.  I like the use of the mahogany or similar wood and intend to keep all mine as a wood finish.
best regards Roy

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2018, 11:39:34 pm »

Hi Gwylan

Sorry I also missed your post ,welcome
I remember the bulb didn't fit very well in my kit , but after a bit of trimming and filling I was happy with the end result.
have you any pic's of your model you could post on here?

Spud

Gwylan

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is great
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2018, 01:27:52 pm »

Hi Roy and Spud,

Thank you for replying to my post.   I enjoyed building Bella, there were, apart from the keel, one or two inaccuracies in the build, but nothing that could not be rectified easily.   I made a couple of alterations to the rigging though.  I did not like the idea of the forestay coming down to the jib boom and then being relatively slack through the connection between jib boom and deck.  I therefore fitted a forestay going down to the stem, then fastened the luff of the jib to a light spar then to the jib boom which gives the sail a good straight luff rather than sagging off to leeward.  I too liked the plain wood, varnished finish and have only painted below the waterline

I have sailed her several times and am quite pleased with her performance, though I must admit I have found the transition between sailing a full size boat and a model far more difficult than I expected.  I have some pictures but cannot work out how to resize them for this website.

My next project, a scratchbuilt Newhaven Sharpie rigged as a cat schooner with spritsails is approaching completion and I hope to have her sailing in the next week or two.  Watch this space.

Best regards,
Gwylan

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2018, 05:21:02 pm »

Hi Gwylan, and  welcome from me too. I would be interested to see pictures of the alternative forestay arrangement you have.
Just for everybodies interest, I recently got my Bella out of winter storage to give her a once over before the sailing season and noticed that the wooden  keel fin where it enters the keel weight looked as though it was suffering from a little dampness. I am assuming that water is getting into the wood via the relatively uneven fit between wood and weight. A job for bathroom silicon sealant I think.

Cheers, Terry.

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2018, 11:20:16 pm »

Hi Gwylan

Like Terry,  I'm also intrigued to see the alterations to the sail set up .

A couple of pictures when you get chance would be great

Spud
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.