Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dremel  (Read 6753 times)

spike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
dremel
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »

hi has anyone got the new dremel 220 workstation and dremel 3000 series and flexshaft and is 90 pound a good price please and would you buy one

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: dremel
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:57:35 am »

If no luck here try EBay.

I got 2 good 395 replacements at a good price and there was 220 workstations 3000 series kits on there.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:12 am »

a vist to your local B&Q would be in order , ryobi also sell a multi function tool in a kit with a flexishaft and tool hanging clamp for around £50 , ive now got two of them after i got fed up with replacing dremels every six months with bearing failures .

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:54:50 pm »

I have just seen some Dremel type tools in Maplins. Price looks good but I have no idea about the quality. Graham

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:05:44 pm »

I think that sometimes there is a tendency to push these little tools (of all makes) beyond their comfort zones which can overload them and lead to rapid wear. If you are using them to the extent that the motor slows down significantly then you are probably over stressing the unit. There is always a temptation to bear down on the workpiece  but it is something that needs to be resisted!

People do exactly the same thing to their model boat motor setups and then wonder why the blue smoke escapes!

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 10:17:51 pm »

Aldi or Lidl had one a while back . I got it . good little tool and not too expensive . Keep your eyes peeled as they will come in again some time

john

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:38 pm »

I had my first Dremel for over 30 years, and in this time it was used constantly. Eventually the coupling between the motor and the output shaft failed due to deterioration of the plastic, and I could not obtain a replacement. I bought a new unit about 6 years ago and it is performing flawlessly. I think Colin has hit the nail on the head - Dremels are a small tool and need to be treated with respect to get a long life out of them. If you have a tough job, use a larger tool.

Peter.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 08:37:15 am »

I have one of the maplin ones (actually I have the big one and the pencil one) and they work very well. I did have another - non dremel that the speed control broke on, that was nice because the chuck was a proper chuck not a set of collets, I was going to change the chuck onto my newer one, but I put it down somewhere - and cant find it now.
Grendel

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:27:03 am »

I think that sometimes there is a tendency to push these little tools (of all makes) beyond their comfort zones which can overload them and lead to rapid wear. If you are using them to the extent that the motor slows down significantly then you are probably over stressing the unit. There is always a temptation to bear down on the workpiece  but it is something that needs to be resisted!

People do exactly the same thing to their model boat motor setups and then wonder why the blue smoke escapes!

Colin

Colin is right they've not got the guts of mains power tools or battery screw drivers. But I think the old 395 is the best to date.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 04:39:33 pm »

I've got the Dremel 7700 cordless, I've had it three years now, I would not want to be without it, a superb tool, battery lasts for ages and has a thermal cutout if the cutter/drill jams and won't run again till switched off and on again, I much prefer the cordless you can get to awkward places on a model without the mains cord getting in the way, and to make it even better I replaced the normal chuck with a muti-chuck that grips even micro drills, there are a lot of rotory tools out there and I'm sure some are quite good but I'll keep my Dremel thanks. O0,

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 05:00:41 pm »

With all the multi tools out there the mantra should be
'Let the tool do the work'
Forcing a tool that has lots of plastic couplings is bound
to end up broken.
I have used Dremels and Also cheap Aldi & Lidl offerings
and they work well if not abused.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »

I use the li=ion dremel 8000 series at work. On average I use one for 3-4 hours a day. last week it was charged once overnight, I mainly cut grind and drill 3d printed models with it. absolutely superb piece of kit.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »

But I think the old 395 is the best to date.

My current unit is a 395, and it's a great tool :-))

Peter.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:59 am »

I have just seen some Dremel type tools in Maplins. Price looks good but I have no idea about the quality. Graham

Dropped into Maplins yesterday and the multi tool on offer had the body of a 395 Dremel for about £19.  Looking at the shelf below there was a deal for  the multi tool plus accessories for the same price. Seems to be getting a good star rating

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/135w-variable-speed-rotary-tool-and-163-piece-accessory-set-n54kb

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 01:27:16 pm »

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/130w-variable-speed-rotary-tool-and-172-piece-accessory-set-n03fy
that is the one I have, but I see no reason the one you have selected would be a problem, especially as it is on offer.
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:36 pm »

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/18-v-variable-speed-rotary-tool-and-60-piece-accessory-set-n14bg
I have 2 of these as well (one was a £5 boot fair find), they are not as powerful, but the smaller finger thickness of the drill can get into tighter spots easily.
Grendel

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »

Hi have a wish list  %)

I need a small model drill preferably with a chuck with variable speed from ZERO to whatever. I do alot of scratch building using plastic, brass and alloy in very small sizes and I want to be able to control the drill etc not melt the plastic. Chuck size 0.3mm upwards. In my dream world I need a drill stand to fit.

Failing that (I have looked extensively), is it possible to take a standard drill 230v and feed it through a dimmer switch to get the variable speed I require?

Moonsticks perhaps! I leave it to you learned folks

Cheers longshanks

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 02:14:24 pm »

Take a look here and associated pages. Bought mine in Germany but these look the same.

http://hobby.uk.com/drill-stand.html
Don't Assume Check

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 08:24:33 pm »

Failing that (I have looked extensively), is it possible to take a standard drill 230v and feed it through a dimmer switch to get the variable speed I require?

I use a 110 volt supply on my drill sometimes when I need it to go very slow.  Just plug a transformer straight into the 240 volt wall socket.  You need to insulate all the wiring into a box  and have a 13 amp socket on the other end.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.