Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Language problem.  (Read 3810 times)

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
Language problem.
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:52:42 pm »

Hello! :-)
 Anyone's help will be appreciated.
 I have problem with my British friends when I want to talk of the following items. I am confused in translating : regulator , gas atenuator, pressure relief valve,....! %%   
 In steam; to control the gas flow to the burner , we are using two types of accessories.
  1) Here is what I name a “Gas attenuator”.  It lowers the pressure IN=HP to LP=OUT and the adjustment is made by compressing a spring to allow a steady pressure downstream, whatever it is upstream. There is an inlet and an outlet.  In French, we call it a “Detendeur”.
  2) Here is what I call a “Gas Regulator”. It lowers the pressure from HP=IN to LP=OUT, like in the above, but the order to reduce the gas flow is given by a third factor, ie: boiler pressure. When the desired boiler pressure is achieved, the gas flow to the burner is restricted , or even stopped and by-passed to an orifice feeding the pilot light. There is an Inlet and an Outlet for the gas flow, but there is a 3rd connection on the bottom for external pressure (boiler).  In French, we call it a : Regulateur”. 
 3) Presure relief valve is the equivalent of what I call a “Pop off valve” or ‘'”Safety valve”.
  So if anyone who speaks the real English can enlight me on the matter , I will be gratefull for the eternity. ................and I shall not be the only one. %)
  Thanks for helping a poor lad trying to look smart when he attempts to speak Shakespeare language; but above all to understand what he wants to say. <:(
 Cheers. ok2

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Language problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:21:47 pm »

KBIO, hi.

We call 1) a reducing valve as fitted to gas bottles when used in caravans or camping.
We call 2) a gas attenuator valve as used on model boats to save wasting gas.
We call 3) a safety valve to prevent boiler pressure going too high.

I hope this is of help to you.
Jerry.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:26:07 pm »

while not being totally up on steam matters from my view it seems you have the conversion just about perfect,
gas attenuator reduces the gas pressure from one set pressure to a lower set pressure,
gas regulator - a valve to regulate (change) the pressure to get the pressure you want at the burner (a volume control for the gas)
and a pressure relief valve - to release (let off ) any pressure above the pressure you require - eg a pop off valve or safety valve, so if the pressure gets too high it will lower the pressure to make it safe.
Grendel

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:26:52 pm »

Jerry has it  right, you have the first two reversed.
Regards,
Gerald
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:39:25 pm »

All a bit confusing for you KBIO.
The Gas Regulator reduces the gas pressure from the tank pressure to a fixed pressure suitable for burner operation. The Gas Attenuators is downstream of the Gas Regulator and further reduces the gas flow to the burner when a preset boiler pressure is reached.
 Hope that is clear,
Regards,
Keith
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:58:35 pm »

attenuator...passive restriction
regulator w/boiler pressure trigger...active restriction

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:42:24 pm »

:-) Hello!
Interesting! I am folllowing up. O0
Thanks for your help. :-))
Cheers.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:44 pm »

KBIO.....I have an ANTON V71 which he [Fabrice] terms as ""Regulateur Gaz"....however it is a gas attenuator....his WEB site is sick, but the Swiss KRAMER site call the same component a V78?

Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:14 pm »

So when we start we use a straight screw regulator on our gas tank.
We then add a Gas Regulator (pressure reduceing valve), because the flame was going down when the pressure in the fuel tank dropped.
We then add a gas attenuator (Boiler Pressure Operated ) because we  we get tired of the safety valve lifting and running out of  fuel.
We are then given a ministeam hull (because she thought it was so cute) and we know that there is no room for a gas fuel tank so we are back running sterno and esbit tablets
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

geoff p

• Full Mayhemer
    • Purple Tiger
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 07:37:47 am »

translate.google gives the French "Regulateur" -> English "regulator"

and wikipedia gives English "regulator" as throttle, among other things. 

But "A pressure regulator's primary function is to match the flow of gas through the regulator to the demand for gas placed upon the system. If the load flow decreases, then the regulator flow must decrease also."

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 08:57:21 am »

:-) Hello.   The Gas Regulator reduces the gas pressure from the tank pressure to a fixed pressure suitable for burner operation. The Gas Attenuator is downstream of the Gas Regulator and further reduces the gas flow to the burner when a preset boiler pressure is reached.
  Thank you Oldam. This is clear for me and  confirmed . I have no more doubt now. I shall be able to give the right name . :-))    For your information and to avoid misunderstanding when ordering in France.

The difference with French language is:
 “Gas Regulator”    => we call it “Détendeur
Gas Attenuator”  =>  we call it “Régulateur”.
  Confusing! Isn’t it?? But, it is interesting to know that some dictionnaries are giving the same description for both and if you look in industrial catalogues, this is even more confusing.  %%

To answer to Derek; depending on the search sofware, you may be directed to a doctor site. This is right! The V71 or V78 is the same Gas Attenuator. It is just a catalogue printing error which has never been corrected.

Another info: I do not know anybody , manufaturing Gas Regulator in Europe or states. Can anyone confirm? The only one I can see,  is proposed by L. Kiefler in Germany : RV3 + RGD3 
 Thank you all again, for your help . I feel smarter today! Long way to go though! %)
 Best regards.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 10:49:32 am »

Hullo KBIO....... ..the difference in words between languages is  %%

But my V71 is much happier now she is reinstalled...........Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 07:17:26 am »

KBIO......for what ever reason I cannot post on your French WEB site  :embarrassed: ....however I post here a recent text from that page

One of the issues not understood is why people insist <*< in taking the gas regulator water pressure signal feed from the top of the boiler @ 150 degrees C  >>:-(

I take my water pressure signal feed from the bottom of the boiler @ ~~110 degrees C .....& the a long tube cooling run to the V71

Considering that the diaphragm in the ANTON V71 is Nitrile...& Nitrile is not rated to 150 degrees C ....it is  %% to use the higher temperature pilot signal source!.........Derek
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"If it is an important point which we never speak, it is the material used to make these membranes.
You should know that the Butane viscosity as ' it allows it to seep into the porous metals. The GPL is absolutely not corrosive and does not attack metals but chromatography it dilutes the fats and natural rubber.
This is the reason why rubber hoses (which are not) for gas cylinders have a limited life span.
If the membrane is facing with steam (150 ° C at 3 bar) on one side and very cold gas that relaxes on the other, you have immediately understood or is stress.
This is why the industry uses the nitrile. Do not ask me the composition of nitrile, who cares! Just knowing that it is a "rubber" synthetic and not natural. It is called like this because apart from the elasticity, it has virtually the same properties.
In short, this nitrile (can be armed in addition) better withstand the conditions in which we use it and will retain its elasticity (no leaks) longer.
Despite all the permissible maximum temperature is often that of 70 ° C.
When 150 ° C in the boiler, it may be better to use good goose neck. Very hot steam that fit directly into a regul and remains in direct contact with the membrane sets its properties and responding in the same way. Furthermore it is not good to let water stagnate in some regul. When not in use (duralumin). A gooseneck of 5 cm long and 1 mm inside enough to transmit the pressure and does not conduct heat to the regulator. It must still monitor that loads clogs not and subject to no constraints.
In fact, until steam flow (leak), the temperature is acceptable in the controller"
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:32 pm »

Hello Derek.  I love your steam assy. :-))

What I can modestly say to answer to your question, as I said in my post, is that there is two “schools” concerning the place where to connect the gas attenuator! 1- Some prefer to connect it on top of the boiler as, if there is any leak, it is possible to fix it on the spot, when the steam pressure is released.      The hot water remains inside the boiler.      Some people say that the respons of the diaphgram is more eratic, though. The pressure différence being larger.      A 2” goose neck between the boiler and the gas attenuator is enough to keep the heat away and the remaining condensation
    is an excellent water cushion for transmitting the pressure.

2- Some other (Anton does) prefer to connect to the bottom of the boiler as the respons of the attenuator is quicker & smoother.
    But if there is a leak, it is a HOT water mess inside the boat.      As long as we are aware of these both arguments, each one will make up his own choice. I have no preference.   Unless there is a leak, the diaphgram is not in contact with high temp.   Best regards. :-)    Thank you for reading the Blue Forum: “Les Copains d’abord” which has tight links with our best friend: Mayhem.I checked on my forum and you are registered. You then, can answer if you remember your Pseudo & Pass word.There is even a chapter dedicated for English speaking people.If you have any problem, let me know, and  we’ll fix it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.