Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow set epoxy?  (Read 3380 times)

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Slow set epoxy?
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:29:42 pm »

Having trouble finding Araldite slow setting epoxy-24 hour-Is it still made does anyone know and better still sold in a shop?I don't want the supersonic type that sets in 60 seconds...Have retired now and have time on my hands to do a good job.Bob.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Don't Assume Check

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Re: Slow set epoxy?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:01:34 pm »

It seems the Araldite brand is being phased out but there are lots of other brands and suppliers of epoxy resins.

I've used Z-Poxy 30 min epoxy. To me it's the good compromise between pot life (time to get and clamp/tape everything in place) and curing time. And you can always fast-cure it in the oven at 90°C for 45min if you're in a hurry.

I have so left over slow-cure Araldite (2hrs pot life) but I now seldom use it.

Z-Poxy also has a finishing resin to seal hulls or for fiber lamination.

And I mix epoxy by weight (you have to dig in the product sheet to get the ratio by weight; most of the time the instruction sheet gives you the ratio by volume) so that it will fully cure.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:43:04 pm »

Hi Bob.
 Have been using Devcon 2 ton Epoxy for the last few years.  30 min working time 2hrs handling time made in USA swear by it, use it to fit shatfts into hulls.  A clear liquid comes in two clear bottles marked epoxy and hardone can be sanded or filed when set.
Is sold on E-bay but their pic is knackerd so you dont get to see the product your local model / craft shop may have it.  Personal choice is the seperate bottles over syringes  as the nozzle can be cleaned and the cap replaced.
Same mix as araldite just squeeze two equal amounts on your mixing surface and blend together.   

Frank.
 https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_enGB581GB581&q=devcon+2+ton+epoxy+s-33%2f33345+picture&gs_l=hp..0.41l15.0.0.0.1699...........0.

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 11:13:34 pm »

Many thanks for your advice and help, much appreciated.Seems it may be being phased out, will keep looking but Gorilla may be the way....in v. tiny amounts I believe! Bob. Thankyou.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.