Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Xrad's Brooklyn Tug  (Read 18163 times)

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
Xrad's Brooklyn Tug
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:27:18 am »

Many of these built on many forums. I did not like the plastic hull, so I made a fiberglass one w/poly resin a few years back.  Thought I would finish the hull and decking this weekend.  The 8oz gas cans are a bit big for this model, although they will fit.I bought a 'small' gas can from local Ohio steam product guy on the net:

http://www.ministeam.com/

many good products. Had the can to me in two days. It holds plenty of gas for the Saito large boiler. There is no water pump in this model. Did not feel like building one in so have to refill for each run. Makes it more fun. While one model cools, I can run the other!

Pics explain the build. I used built up balsa for the gunwales inside the fiberglass to add some thickness to the cap rail mounting point.  I use a TVR1a bb, great little engine for the money and a fun build.

The deck has a weathered look with some bleaching. Natural stain w/touch of red oak stain. Wiped and then washed in Floquil thinned weather black, and then hard wiped. I like to always add the light stain first so it soaks in and provides a slight barrier to the floquil, making wiping easier, and not letting so much black color into the wood.  Used basswood strips for the deck on top of the plywood (airplane ply and very well made )

A note on decking: found that some tugs have the planks following the gunwales, some are straight off the king plank. I tried steaming the basswood to soften it, but the 1/16 planks were still tough to bend to the curve. Honestly, I just wanted to get her done, so I went with the also legitimate straight runs. These are cut at alternating intervals of the total length (stem to stern) divided by 3 and next row divided by 2. So ended up with 3 boards then 2 , then 3 , etc... this looks good with the rear platform deck (removable to get to rudder post).

Another trick:  One nice thing about poly fiberglass combo is that you can heat and bend to correct minor flaws. example: the mid hull was bowed out at the gunwales due to the original mold bow.   A LITTLE torch heat(goes a long way) and the plastic was soft, so a few pieces of tape across the hull pulled the edges in to where I wanted them, then let cool and came out pretty god. WARNING: polyester is VERY flammable so be very careful when doing this, and do it outside.

Build note: the first pic shows temporary wood cross braces over the hold. these were cut out later after the epoxy hardened the plywood deck to the underlying frame.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Xrad's Brooklyn Tug
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:53:17 am »

plastic cap rails go in nicely. Made a marking jig for the 1/2 circle cutouts for the bollards, so that they tuck nicely into the cap rails. I raised the freeboard about 1/2 inch or so from the original plan, and also widened the overall width of the boat by about 1/2in. cleaned up the cast swarf from the bollards.  Looking nice.  I do wish that they gave better materials for the deckhouses...like mahogany planking...if one wished to stain the works...

I bought this kit for about 270$ a few years back, Now I see it for 379.  hmmmm.  Not near 379$ in material in the kit,and not very good material either. Plans you can get anywhere and for cheap, or hit the library. Next time I would get Orion Mouldings Homsider tug and build the rest myself.

I rebuilt/replaced  the hull, the ply for the deck, all the framing in basswood, the gunwales, the deck planking, and the rudder....the only thing I used so far from the kit are the cap rails and bollards and some of the plans.   I am sure for the deckhouse, more kit bit will be utilized....

muleears

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:08 am »

Looks great Xrad!  Keep up the great work.  You said the deck planking was basswood?  What are the plank dimensions?  I really like the way it looks. :-))
Cal
Washington, NC USA
Proud owner of:
75% complete Krick Victoria
75% complete Billing African Queen
Krick Alexandra
Lots of building, very little steaming!

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:06:38 am »

Looks cool keep up the good work :-))

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:06:35 pm »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments.  basswood is 1/16 x 1/4 x 24 (42 in a pack) I think from Amazon or Tower hobbies. takes one pack for the deck.

Used acrylic hobby paste to fill the little dips and holes in the hull. Much sanding and to a point where it will look used but not sloppy.  Due to the porous nature of the hull, the plastic bumpers went on nicely w/CA.  The real PITA was the rudder.  I tried three types of glues and epoxy. nothing worked. I could not get the polystyrene fill pieces to stick to the blue super plastic that the rudder was made out of. So, built my own out of steel and copper(maybe it will really rust!).  Riveted and soldered together. Milliput to fill some tiny gaps. all will be sanded and then the hull and rudder primed and painted. Came out OK.

roof not glued on at this point. just dispersing the weights so that the sheer is maintained in the cabin skeleton.  Now this kit is getting to be fun.

tip: when attaching the plastic 1/4x1/4 bumpers, glue the porous face, not the finished face. Much stronger bond.

also, Testors grey tube filler works great with the plastic gaps.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:44:10 pm »

Arthur Kill Staten Island tugboat graveyard pics. These offer nice detail; as the boats fall apart, the inner structures are revealed:

http://www.amazon.com/Graveyard-Arthur-Staten-Island-16x20/dp/B00DZYOTT6

http://www.airphotona.com/image.asp?imageid=1017&catnum=0&catname=All%20Categories&keyword=&country=&state=&pagenum=683

http://www.whereongoogleearth.net/2013/05/10/contest-293-answer-arthur-kill-ship-graveyard-staten-island-ny/

If you look closely at the last link, you can clearly see that the decking follows the curve of the gunwales. My relatives lived in Queens, Staten island and Mineola and we were always crossing bridges or tunnels.  As a kid in the 70's, I can still remember seeing tugs and barges and the really cool big yellow SI ferries around Manhattan.  I also remember seeing many old rotting pilings around different parts of Manhattan, a reminder of how great a seaport it once was.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »

Looks great xrad. That rudder is excellent, I will have to remember it when I get to that stage on my one ,when I can get back to it.

Ian
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:31:34 pm »

Thanks Antipodean, The rudder looks much better painted..... Did a few coats of primer today.  getting there....

here is a link to google maps showing the tug graveyard. South end of SI. U can scan the sat images and find at least 3-4 more graveyards full of old tugs and barges.....

https://www.google.com/maps/search/st+luke+ave+rossville+statten+island/@40.5561473,-74.2167888,535m/data=!3m1!1e3

this link includes a bunch of cool pics of the area.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 01:32:11 am »

What dimensions is this one ?
It looks small around the steam plant but that could just be perspective.

Ian

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 05:29:57 pm »

dimensions of what? the tug?

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product_info.php?products_id=237

or the engine:

~ 4l x 4h x 2w  Graham tvr1abb   

saito large boiler, don't know dimensions  maybe 7x3 ish

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 10:36:35 pm »

I meant the tug but the steam plants always fascinate me.
Thanks xrad.
I notice it is $435 now.

It is a bit smaller than my tug and SWMBO has decreed that steam is not an option.

Ian

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 05:44:40 pm »

too bad. sometimes you can find a good steam engine for cheap on craigs or ebay.

I just don't listen to my SWMNBN (she who must not be named)...and pay for it later...

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »

Not knowing much about steam I wouldn't even really know where to start and it would have to power a 63" Brooklyn.
I did see an engine I would like but at $2800 for the castings I will just have to drool.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 04:22:03 pm »

Thats a lot of money for a Stuart Turner steam engine copy %% .

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 04:57:43 pm »

Thats a lot of money for a Stuart Turner steam engine copy %% .

Mark,
I remember reading some where  ( may have been this forum ) that the people in Os who make and market these engines when challenged on the design of their "CLYDE " in line twin Oscillator denied that they had copied STUART's design and that their design engineers took 4 years to come up with the design.

I wonder how long it has taken them to design the D10 look alike ?

George.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:07 am »

Thanks xrad, very helpful indeed and now I can start saving for this I think
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4073-4-Horizontal-Boiler-Mildura-RC-Reversing-Plant-Assembled-/251676706228

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 02:51:35 pm »

At those prices I would be thinking of buying shop equipment and making it myself.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:44 pm »

Bonjour,

If I am right, the Mildura is a 20 cm3 machine like the D10 ==> requires  a powerful heater and a large boiler or a coupled water pump. My Jan is a tall 1,20 x 0,32 m tug and it has been a challenge to install it inside (but it can pull me with less than one bar, see HERE).

With only a 5cm3 AL5 machine, my Paterson tug is already very powerful and has a good autonomy my its 100 x 180 mm boiler, see THERE.

Just to say that I note that we do not need either big machines to propel our "fat" babies.

And for information, do you know Anton, JMC or Typhoon Motors French manufacturers ?
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:34:55 pm »

Sorry for hijacking your thread xrad.
I am eager to see how you build the wheelhouse as I have to still figure out how I will do mine, American or English.
Look forward to seeing more build and sorry once again

Ian

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 02:38:50 pm »

Very nice tugs Rhavrane!  As far a  D10 copy, there are some similarities (same as tiny power version), but, for 1100$ ebay price, you get the fully independent eccentrics and reverse links, and the engine is ALL bronze, stainless, except the crank.  Used Stuart twin marine(which I think is a better engine than the D10) with reverse gears in OK condition go for at least 700$, if you can find one. If you buy the machined D10, you still have to get the reverse gear. These are sensitive parts to machine. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Stuart Marine is not offered as machined kit, which would be nice.

Steamboatmodel:   it seams that getting the shop equipment is cheaper, but obviously the basic small mill and lathe run about 1200-1500$ for the pair (little machine shop) PLUS all the tooling, plus you have to learn how to use it.  I purchased the machine shop equipment because I have about 10-12 steam engines and a few in progress.  It's nice to have the shop kit to make all kinds of fittings and parts as needed, but the equipment is not necessary as you can get anything on the net these days.

as far as the wheelhouse, That will have to modified as I do not like the plastic parts.  I am going off the pic below, found on the net and I don't know who initially posted it. It show much detail for the 'brooklyn' type tug as they all fall apart. You can see that the wheel houses were two level high of wood located on top of a steel deckhouse.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 06:08:33 pm »

Bonjour Xrad,
Also sorry for hijacking again your topic (I enhance my English vocabulary  :-)) ), but do you know the Reeves Warrior MK3 ? It is also a full brass D10 like machine and I have had the opportunity to find one (never seen before in France) it is a "bomb" despite its leaks as old second hand machine, see THERE .

And the wooden wheel house is a surprize for me,searching "US tugboats" on the Net does not give examples...
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 11:06:09 pm »

I don't mind 'hijack' Skipper, as long as its steam related! I know of Reeves, but not that particular engine. It is very nice and seems to run smoothly.  These were primarily New York harbor rail tugs moving train barges..something like 500 or so built..~1890-1930's.  Maybe two or three left....maybe. Mildura is only a 10.8 cc engine(both cylinders included). About the same size a Stuart Marine engine

reminds me of:

http://www.tinypower.com/store.php?crn=56&rn=318&action=show_detail&PHPSESSID=707f32a4a27a3e738d2da17926749426

Did some more work. Rough paint, to be finished later with air gun washes.  Deckhouse main structure finished. Had to section the poly sides because my deck sheer is a bit more than the original plan.  Belt sander I used in my boiler build works great for easy sanding of the curves.  Tip: heat the front poly piece with a torch 'just a bit' and it will form to the curve nicely.

Rudder looks better now.  The wheelhouse will probably be planked like the b+w pic above as the poly form was not well stamped and only one window came out. Easier for me to build out of wood.

Tip for waterline: I use a level across the gunwales and measure up from flat surface as a double check. Also, you need to be aware of fore-aft balance as well. Usual marker taped to block works well. make sure marker sticks out far enough to get in deep under stern.  Not pictured is upright hull with drawn waterline....pic is just showing tape line.  Black sharpie works well for black hull.

For those of you who have built this model, you can see the two ribs I put in the wrong spot for the deckhouse. these fit better here for my widened hull.

One important thing that Dumas forgot!  The cowl vents. one on each side near the funnel. Should be fun to make them.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 07:58:43 pm »

Kit detail: the laser cut parts are pretty nice, but laser did nut burn all the way through on many. The port 'holes' all need to be enlarged...use 1/2 drill and gently widen them. You will need a micro drill set for the rails...  .031 or something.  The 'super blue' plastic does not like to stick w/CA(even after cleaning with alcohol and sanding surface). There is a protective film over the outside surface which has to be removed before painting.  You have to cut the door out yourself, no big deal. Trim them all at the same time so they are same size.  Need to add some additional supports to deckhouse to make it more sturdy, no big deal.  Primed grey ready for 600grit sand and paint.  I left out the windows in the portholes because this will be a steam engine, and need to get some O2 in and heat out.

I will not be using the supplied poly deckhouse roof.  Going with 1/16 dean's plywood and planking, like original roofs in rotting tugs pics.

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 08:21:18 pm »

That is looking soon coold.
Love the USA tugs
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.