Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Wood Care:

cutting thin plywood

(1/8) > >>

Mike0001:
1.5 mm ply

so what do I have, well jigsaw with metal cutting blades, also have a dremel ( just a dremel )

What would be best way to cut ply ( Cutting out the main components of plan ) I would guess I would get lots of vibration with a jigsaw but that's what I have

thanks

Colin Bishop:
I think most people would simply use a sharp knife.

Colin

essex2visuvesi:

A jigsaw is a little overkill for thin ply

Always best to have the right tool for the job*:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-HEAVY-DUTY-SAW-OR-6Pc-SET-Wood-Jewellery-Model-Making-Sawing-Cutting-Kit-/310839320950?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&var=&hash=item485f77a176

*Other fret saws are available*

You could get a powered one but I and many others find you get better control with a hand saw.

Capt Podge:

--- Quote from: Colin Bishop on October 20, 2014, 08:08:15 pm ---I think most people would simply use a sharp knife.

Colin

--- End quote ---

Stanley Knife. That's all I ever use on thin ply - just ensure the blade is sharp (if  isn't, then change it), keep your hands behind the blade (been there, done that) and use a guide for the blade, preferably metal.
Also, use several light strokes - Don't force the blade - you'll get through the wood eventually. O0
...Oh, beware of what's lying underneath your work piece as well :embarrassed:

Regards,

Ray.

RAAArtyGunner:

--- Quote from: essex2visuvesi on October 20, 2014, 09:15:03 pm ---A jigsaw is a little overkill for thin ply

Always best to have the right tool for the job*:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-HEAVY-DUTY-SAW-OR-6Pc-SET-Wood-Jewellery-Model-Making-Sawing-Cutting-Kit-/310839320950?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&var=&hash=item485f77a176

*Other fret saws are available*

You could get a powered one but I and many others find you get better control with a hand saw.

--- End quote ---

As Essex says, The deeper the throat the better, which is dictated by how big the sections are that you are cutting out.

For smaller sections though, you could use a coping saw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version