Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman 31 from Speedline Models  (Read 9037 times)

me3

• Full Mayhemer
Huntsman 31 from Speedline Models
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:28:32 pm »

Hi all,
Thought I would do a little build log of my little boat build! It is a Fairey Huntsman 31 kit that is made by Speedline models. The kit is 1/48 scale so is only 8" Long! It is available in Open or the Aft cabin variant, with single or twin motor. I chose the Open version with twin motor - I fancied a challenge  :-))
So, I started the kit today by taping on the chine and spray rails. There are small ridges in the hull but they were hard to follow so they are not perfect but I am happy with them  ok2 I have used small blobs of glue to hold them in place until the tape is removed, after it is removed I will properly glue them around the bow area.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman 31 from Speedline Models
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:44:57 pm »

This should be interesting, I have been toying with the idea of one of these!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

onora

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 01:33:11 am »

Open or the Aft cabin variant, with single or twin motor.

Is there any pictures of the various times that they make?
Banned

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:18:10 am »

haha, I think it will too boatmadman!
Onora - Single motor kit isn't on there at the moment but I think it is £30.
They are for sale on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/flundle/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »

I would like to see how you get on with the boat as i was thinking of building one with a turbo brushless set up in it. :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:42:13 pm »

I will admit - it isn't easy to build this  :embarrassed:
It is very fiddly and the glue my local model shop recommended takes 30 minutes before it becomes tacky - not useful when working with such small parts. Anyway, took off the masking tape and attempted to glue on the foremost part of the chine which still hasn't properly worked but its getting there! Also drilled and cut out the prop shaft hulls and put the motors onto their bulkheads. The pictures don't do my work much justice - it doesn't look so bad in real life!!
Just a quick question - the motor has 3 single strands of wire coming out of one tube. None of the wires have any insulation on, will this be a problem when wiring the model?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 08:55:27 pm »

The 3 wires from each of your motors are Copper enamel covered. They will be OK but you will need to remove the enamel at the ends to make a good connection to the speed controler. Thats if they have not all ready been done.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:38:46 pm »

What glue was recommended?
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »

Thanks for that BillD203, makes it a bit easier. The recommended glue was Devcon Home 2Ton Epoxy. I seem to be having a lot of problems with it, just tried stick balsa to balsa and it has wrapped the balsa and keeps springing back. Can anyone recommend a quick setting glue, is Gorrila glue any good, I see it a lot in home shops?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:36 pm »

Hi
What part are you trying to Glue ? For all that plastic /plastic stuff I use Revell Contacta which i found very good.
If you are sticking the Motor mounts to the hull then i would use 5 min Epoxy or No nails .  for wood to wood stuff I found Evostick make a Waterproof Mastic type glue which works very well. You can buy it at B&Q in a blue mastic type tube. 

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:30:27 pm »

gorilla works very well, but expands and will end up looking messy. Plastic to plastic just use cyno, and you can spray a kicker on it to accelerate adhesion. Also, you can get plastic weld, paint it on and the plastic welds together. epoxy will do the mounts to hull, personally, I would put the mounts on ply, then ply to the hull, and support the shaft exiting the hull with ply, cut a slot in it for the shaft tube, then fill with epoxy, it will make it strong, otherwise its just the thin wall of the hull supporting the shaft exiting the boat.

I went on the site and could not find this model, as you can see from my avatar, I like the open rear Huntsman (Huntsman 28), I fancy a nice small one! Have you got a link?

Paul

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:28 pm »

just seen the ebay link, thanks. Hmm........ £50 odd quid for the twin motor set up, no mention of amp rating for esc's, or kv rating for the motors, no details at all really, manufacturer etc, would have been nice to know, but that then puts an 8" model over £100......... :((

I think I would probably source my own running gear from somewhere like hobbyking.

With regard to the laser cut wood, make sure you sand off that burnt edge where its been cut, generally speaking, the burnt edge is real hard to glue :-))

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 11:08:26 pm »

Thanks for the advice red181 much appreciated. I agree about the description thing! The motors are brushless outrunners 2400KV if I remember correctly. Speed controllers are 9A turnigy. The parts can be found on hobbyking although buying the motor pack does give the extra propshaft and etched rudders which could be hard to source.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 09:51:36 pm »

Hi all,
Not much progress lately - busy doing work for my apprenticeship.  >:-o ! Went to another shop and bought some Zap-a-gap glue. I have used it before and should have used it to start with - a lot easier to work with as it goes off much quicker. Glued in the prop shaft today and glued the sub-deck to the formers (the deck is curved athwartships) Will get some photos up tomorrow.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 10:40:36 pm »

Thanks for the advice red181 much appreciated. I agree about the description thing! The motors are brushless outrunners 2400KV if I remember correctly. Speed controllers are 9A turnigy. The parts can be found on hobbyking although buying the motor pack does give the extra propshaft and etched rudders which could be hard to source.

the motors and speed controllers are turnigy so sourceable from Hobby King.
What else comes in the power pack?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 10:56:27 pm »

Hi there. The twin power pack contains: 2 motors, 2 speed controllers, motor mounts, 2 inner & outer propshafts, 2 props, 2 rudders, red battery plug, micro servo, rudder linkages and 2 rubber couplings. I think that is the lot - but I have probably forgotten something!

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 11:05:24 pm »

9a esc worries me, very low as most Chinese electrical components are overstated, be careful, a 5a fuse might help, cant help thinking a 9a esc will not give any headroom for any extra amp draw when accelerating?

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 07:28:16 am »

Just had a look at them and they ar 6a. Sorry about that - will that make it better. The man from speedline has spent a couple years testin them so hopefully it will be okay :-)

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 07:46:59 pm »

Hi all - just a quick up date, I haven't forgotten about this little model. The rudder posts don't fit into the tubes, contacted speedline a couple of weeks ago and got an email on the 12th saying parts in the post 1st class. Haven't got it yet, but hopefully I will and I can keep going. Want to get on with at as another boat is bubbling away and getting closer!

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

Finally got the parts a couple of days ago and I have started on the model again. The Propellers were soldered onto the shafts, rudders soldered onto their posts, motors permanently installed onto their pack and the motor mount was installed with the necessary bracing. The Rudder tubes, servo platform and braces were also installed.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 08:59:11 pm »

I have been busy working away on this build lately - the sub deck was installed, then the ply laser cut deck was glued over the top. The hardwood rubbing rail was glued to the edge of the deck which makes the sheerline look a little neater. The coamings were glued on, didn't quite go to plan, had to do a lot of sanding to get the cockpit to fit! That was also glued together to make the 'well' and the windscreen spacer was glued onto and now the sides have just been glued on. hopefully it will work and wont be stuck to the hull  %% It was also put it a small basin full of water to see if it floated - it did and it didn't even leak!!

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 07:43:42 pm »

Had a good day working on the model today :D Pretty much finished the cabin, only got to put the helm console on and the chairs to make. Also there is the windscreen, handrails and mast to do. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.