Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gorilla Glue  (Read 4784 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Gorilla Glue
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:07:23 am »

Has anyone tried this out? Its a polyurethane based adhesive. Before I go ahead and use it to fasten my frame members into my hull I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried it and what the end result was. I've used it to fasten a bow thruster motor mount into the hull and it seems very strong as the glue foams up to fill gaps. My one worry is that it will not bond to the grp very well, although the advertising blurb underneath says it bonds anything to anything...

Tough, Expanding, Sticks-to-Everything Glue   dampIt, glueIt, clampIt,
 waterproof, strong, expands   
 The product that started it all. Original Gorilla Glue built a name for itself with its incredible, industrial holding power and versatility. Water activated, it expands into materials to form an incredibly strong bond to virtually anything. Gorilla Glue is your solution for almost any project or repair. It’s 100% waterproof, safe for indoor and outdoor use and strong enough to stand up to the elements. Plus, its expansion allows it to penetrate the glued surface for a superior bond. Sand it, paint it, stain it. Simply stated, it’s the Toughest Glue on Planet Earth.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Gorilla Glue
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:31:30 pm »

I use Gorilla glue for all the really strong joints such as fixing timber to a GRP hull and it does exactly what it says on the bottle.  I use nothing else where strength counts.

Thoroughly roughen the areas to be bonded, spray both parts of the joint with a fine mist of water before spreading the glue and than clamp it up.  Check it is correctly aligned before leaving it, because it won't come apart once it has set if you make a mistake !

Be sure to squeeze the bottle to exclude any air before screwing the cap on, otherwise the glue may set in the bottle.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »

Thanks kinmel. I found earlier today that mine had become really thick in the bottle, in no small part due to how cold it was in the art room with no heating on! I put the bottle in the microwave for 30 seconds and it became runny again, that may be of some use to other users of the product. It has certainly glued my motor mounts very well. The stuff has set like concrete after just a few hours, so given what you say and how well it has worked so far, I'm going to use it on my supports when it comes time to bond them in place.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:54 pm »

Anybody going to use it check this link. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiebQ9izAY4

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:29:09 pm »

Use it very sparingly.  Any squeeze out will grow like mad.  It can be cut off, of course.

Trevor Holloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »

I built a 2m long plank on frame Corvette (1:32) using this glue, use sparingly, use lots of clamps and sand off excess.
Would recommend it to others too.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:43:38 am »

I have found it absolutely excellent for bonding all sorts of things together and even built a 14' sharpie using Balcotan, the full size equivalent. My only gripe is that it seems to have a fairly short shelf life once you have opened the bottle.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 06:56:58 am »

My only gripe is that it seems to have a fairly short shelf life once you have opened the bottle.

You must squeeze the bottle to exclude all the air when you are putting the cap back on and it then has an indefinite shelf life.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:41:50 am »

I have just bought a bottle of this, from the local Screwfix outlet, to put together a foam building cradle for the latest project.
It certainly expands ! It certainly sticks ! The stuff is evil if you get the slightest bit on a finger.
in my own little world

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 01:29:11 pm »

Loads of tips for use on youtube.
The glue reacts with moisture, and so leaving the cap off can cause glue to set. And the need to get the air out.
However, if it sets in the bottle it is usually just a skin and you can yank this out. Alternatively, store the bottle upside down.

One thing I really like is that it sands well.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.