Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterslide transfer problem.  (Read 4490 times)

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
  • Derby M.B.C. Celebrating 40 years afloat 1976-2016
Waterslide transfer problem.
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »

I have a set of old but unused set of waterside transfers I wish to use on a project.The majority are in good order but on some of them the backing/carrier has yellowed.Can anyone tell me if there is a product I can use to make the carrier less obvious when the transfer is applied to a white paint job.

Thanks for looking.
Will.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Waterslide transfer problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:46:02 am »

If they are old they could also be fragile when used. I don't know of a way of rejuvenating the transparent part. however you could try applying one to a white surface, you may be in luck that the warm water brings it back to life. If not I would let it dry and then clearcoat with your prefreed medium (varnish/polyurethane/car spray/future) and see if they become transparent again once dried. What I would do though is make sure that your soaking water is very warm and has plenty of washing up liquid in it and don't be in a hurry to use them, give them a good couple of minutes, the warmth of the water and the soap could work wonders for them.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:07:46 am »

Another solution, albeit a little long winded would be to scan them into the computer an print onto water slide transfer paper.
This way you can rework the decals to restore the colour.
I tend to make a scan of decal sheets just in case.  This way if anything goes wrong you're not stuck with no decals.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:38:34 am »

I have a set of old but unused set of waterside transfers I wish to use on a project.The majority are in good order but on some of them the backing/carrier has yellowed.Can anyone tell me if there is a product I can use to make the carrier less obvious when the transfer is applied to a white paint job.

Thanks for looking.
Will.
as said they are probably way passed their "sell by" date and will spoil when you put them on your model.........best way of using them is to send them to Alan ( think that's his name) or BECC who both do vinyl lettering and other one off's for modellers and they will take copies and print out in vinyl stick on  to exact copies of what you have.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 07:52:43 am »

I have salvaged old brittle water slide decals by first spraying them in a clear laquer or enamel. When the clear has set up, cut out the image on the decal as close to the image as you reasonably can. Let the decal soak in warmish water until the decal floats free from the backing paper. Grab the backing paper with tweezers and carefully slip under the decal. Lift same from the water and gently apply to the surface you wish to use it on. Use plenty of water to assist in transfering the decal to the surface. When located, use a tissue to siphon excess water from the decal. Don't dab the decal. When the decal is damp, not wet, apply a decal dissolve agent, such as Walthers Solvaset, to the edges of the decal. The Solvaset will creep under the decal and dissolve the decal film. Be patient and don't touch the decal at all. The solvent will draw the decal down to the surface and virtually make the film disappear leaving you with the image on the decal. It snuggles down over rivets and irregularities on the application surface. If that hasn't completely happened, a reapplication may be necessary. When done and dried, apply a clear coat over the decal and applied surface to completely hide the decal edges and blend the decal onto the model to look like a painted image.

Look about halfway down the page on this link:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27859.150.html

John

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:14:08 am »

Always apply to a glossy surface then when all done choose your finish. If you end up using vinyl spray surface with soapy water you can then move them around  and don't worry once dry they will still stick.
                                     Regards Howard.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 08:55:55 am »

As per Old Iron. From serious plastic kit vendors the most common in UK is Micro Sol and Micro Set by Microscale Industries Inc (imported from USA)   Buy them both , instructions on the 1oz bottles.
..well can you land on this?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:22:42 pm »

As per Old Iron. From serious plastic kit vendors the most common in UK is Micro Sol and Micro Set by Microscale Industries Inc (imported from USA)   Buy them both , instructions on the 1oz bottles.

Yup, Micro Scale products work well too. Couldn't remember them when I wrote the piece at 2AM. AS per Howard, yes a glossy surface definitely improves the odds of a good finish.

John

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »

Thanks for all your replies.I am sure out of all the info you have each given I should be able to rectify the problem.I will let you know in due course.

Thanks,Will. :-)

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 10:02:52 pm »

Big thank you to Stan from Kirklees club.He kindly took the time and trouble to phone me and gave me a lot of useful tips and ideas.Much obliged.I will look out for you on your club stand Stan at the next round of shows and the coffee,s are on me.

Will. :-))

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 10:01:48 am »

I have to agree Will,
Stan is one of the good guys who will share his knowledge with other members,he has
Helped me on a couple of issues and he loves a chat at the shows.
A really genuine guy. :-))

John

seagate

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »

Big thank you to Stan from Kirklees club.He kindly took the time and trouble to phone me and gave me a lot of useful tips and ideas.Much obliged.I will look out for you on your club stand Stan at the next round of shows and the coffee,s are on me.

Will. :-))

I don't know if he told you this, but the yellowing can be made to disappear by taping the decal to a window. The ultra violet light from the sun will bleach it out while not affecting the decal itself. Mind you, it can take a while in our not-so-sunny clime. I've rescued decals from old plastic kits in this way in conjunction with the Micro Scale products.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »

Hi Seagate yes I did pass on this tip to billybunter.  I liaise with a very good friend of mine who is a member of the international  Plastic modeller's Society  (IPMS) They have a vast knowledge on painting and  decals and lots more. A visit to the main plastic model show held in November at the Telford Centre is well worth it. If you visit the show you will see so many types of paints, tools, decals, airbrushes and lots of other things that we model boat builder could use. The main IPMS show is normally the first weekend in November.  Check out the IPMS calendar. There may be an event local to you.

Stan Reffin
Kirklees Model Boat Club. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.