Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: damaged arrowshark boat from ebay....  (Read 4455 times)

Robarrow

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
damaged arrowshark boat from ebay....
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:50:06 am »

Hi all, im wandering if anybody could help me out? I have just purchased a Arrowshark Tsunami Pro off a guy on ebay. When the boat got delivered to me it has a chip and a split at the front of the hull!! I think its been done in transit allthough cant do anything about it as its my word against the couriers! How can i fix this or even better who could fix it for me? (The guy i bought it off told me to use epoxy resin and silicone?) Or is it better to just get a new hull? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks  ROB  {:-{ :(( {:-{

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: New member from BLACKPOOL (bought a damaged arrowshark boat from ebay)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:23 pm »

If the damage was not mentioned in the description it is not your problem, it is the sellers to deal with the courier. Their responsibility is to ensure that the item arrives to you undamaged .

Robarrow

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:25:46 pm »

I arranged the courier though as the seller wanted pickup only. any way is there a fix for it? or does anybody recommend someone to do it for me?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:43:07 pm »

Rob.......

If you could post an image of the damaged hull chip/split & a description of the hull construction...it would help O0

From this.....members here will be able to offer a repair/fix..... :-)) ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:39:23 pm »

rob, post some pics of the hull and the damage......I live in Poulton le fylde, and if it's possible to repair with grp I can do it for you...........but need to look at the hull first to see if possible, especially access from the top of the hull........post some pics and I'll be able to give a better idea. neil.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 02:51:56 pm »

Hi neil.
 its a cat,  just wot ya to work with resin and an odd shaped hull  {-)
Frank
photo 2013tusnamiT_zps8225d4a0.jpg

photo TusnamiA_zpsf979f26e.jpg

Robarrow

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »

Just as i was going to say that i will get some pics up asap, somebody beat me to it lol, only thats a pic of a nice new boat haha! Basically its chipped right at the front on the left as you look at it, also theres a split going towards the deck. Im not into all the technical stuff so im sorry if my descriptions are poor, im into the speed! Is it possible to fix do you think? many thanks.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 03:27:33 pm »

is the hull made from GRP ( fibre glass) or HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene)..............if the latter then definitely no use of GRP, and the only way to repair would be by pouring into the hull some epoxy resin once the outside of the hull has been masked off.........but only photos will show what's what. neil.

Robarrow

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:24:21 pm »

Ok brilliant pal i could be wrong but i think i can see poly & fibreglass? I have an extreamly bad broken leg at the min which is restricying me doing most things lol, i will try get some pics on asap like i said or if your ever free i could meet you and show you the boat, if you could repair it i will look after you. Im not into that side of things & dont have a lot of patience, im just a driver lol. thanks.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 11:10:56 pm »

rob, if you pm me your address and phone number I'll give you a ring and pop up and have a look at it, then I can tell you what , if anything I could do for you...........no charge......just happy to help.. neil.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: damaged arrowshark boat from ebay....
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »

Neil looking at the stern it appears to be a internal combustion power source, so the chances of it being plastic rather than grp could be slim. Which if true makes a repair a lot easier!

Robarrow

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:29:08 pm »

F.A.O. NEIL

Hello Robert
The hull was built with standard weave type fiberglass cloth with polyester resin. so, you can use some resin with fiberglass cloth to repair the damage.
Best regards
Johnny

This is what Arrowshark in America emailed back to me. Im off my feet a bit at the moment due to a bike accident, i have alot of hospital appointments to attend etc at the moment but i appreciate your offer of help.  If you could tell me what materials to buy i will get that sorted. The boat is put away at a lock up of mine but could arrange to meet you there sometime. My number is 077****** Thanks.

Not a good idea to put your telephone number on an open forum

To contact please use the mayhem's mail system.

Ken

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:52 am »

It's only a small repair so no need to go buying loads of grp stuff. Nip into your local car accessory shop, Halfords or an independant. Ask them for a fibrglass repair kit, usually made by Isopon or Holts. It will be a box with usually a 300ml tin of resin and a square of glass mat, complete with instruction on how to use. For a demonstration just look up a youtube video. If you decide you need more than whats in the box (unlikely) the resin and mat can be bought seperately, the mat in 1 metre squares and the resin in the 300ml tins. Don't forget if you go the seperate route, the resin will need the catalyst as well which is a small bottle or a tube of paste, the two mix together and harden as they cure.

Of course yo could go down to your local yacht chandlers and buy the stuff in bulk but that would be overkill unless you want to set up in business and supply hulls yourself ok2

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 11:06:45 am »

I have plenty of grp stuff.....just waiting for a phone number. neil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.