Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New in the game  (Read 1571 times)

ChrisWM

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New in the game
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:43:18 pm »

Dear Mayhemers,

I am so new in the boat modelling that I haven't yet fully decided what will be my first build, but I am very interested in old sailing boats. I have a past experience (almost 30 years ago...) in airplane modelling, but haven't had a chance since to do anything. I have moved to UK 15 years ago  :embarrassed: , and am now in Birmingham although I am working in Worcester area. Well, that about it for now, and having had a fair look at the forum this afternoon, I can see how helpful it will be once I start my project.  :-))

Jean-Christophe

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New in the game
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:32:23 pm »

welcome.

plenty of info to help you along on here. Build logs are a must when you decide what to make

James
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:47:13 pm »

Welcome aboard Jean-Christophe. Some say Mayhem's a mad house :o , and who am I to argue {-) , but there are some very knowledgeable people here who are only too willing to help. All you need to do is ask.

Peter. (one of the inmates) %%

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:23:10 am »

Hi ChrisWM, I share your interest in the old sailing boats.  The but is that they take rather a long time to build. 

May I suggest you get to the water quickly with a simple sailing boat, get to know how to sail it and meet some fellow sailors and then you can build at home while still sailing a boat.  This keeps the interest alive.  Also if you show commitment with a model yacht etc then fellow modellers will take you more seriously.
regards and good luck, its a great hobby with far fewer crashes!
Roy

ChrisWM

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:49:14 am »

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

I am lucky enough to live a few hundred meters from the Edgbaston reservoir in Birmingham, so will be able to easily sail. Club wise, I had a quick look around and it does not seem to have plethora of them. I know of one in the south of Birmingham, Bournville model yacht club, for having seen them sail a few times, so will probably go to see them once I have something sail-able.

And Roy, well, I am not sure that crashes will not occur {-) ! I have found some plan on internet for a Byzantine trade ship, and I am seriously thinking of starting with that. Well, it will give me a chance to test what knowledge I have left of Russian, as the instructions are in this beautiful language.  :-)

Jean-Christophe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.