Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156327 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #300 on: October 29, 2016, 08:57:29 pm »

Hi Ray thanks for the comments and I know what you mean about ladders they are tricky but you are right its worth the effort  O0

David I was wondering what that part was thanks for letting me know  :-))   I haven't started the water monitor pipes yet but I probably will tomorrow.  Thanks very much for the photo's of your build.  I only got the first one though and I presumed that it was with the batteries fitted without any rear ballast?

Hi John; I have tried solder paste and it must be me but I've found it a bit hit and miss.  The paste that I bought is also quite hard to get out of the syringe that it came in?  I expect that there is a far better type than this?  The main problem I have when making pieces like this is getting them to stay in place before soldering.  The only way I seem to be able to make them is to make a jig and cyano them temporarily in place before fixing them permanently?  Could you recommend a solder paste?

Mark

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: October 29, 2016, 10:24:06 pm »

This is the one I used Mark: www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52330.275.html (2nd photo reply no.285)

I got mine from Maplins - there are other suppliers out there - 125g cost me £30.00 :o

I know others have bought theirs on e-bay at about £5.00 for 50g (that's where I'll go for future supplies). O0

Be aware when searching online. I ordered solder paste and received a tin of solder flux. >>:-(

Better to search for solder paint:-))

Regards,

Ray.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: October 30, 2016, 09:28:38 pm »

Hi Mark
I use this solder past
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330959791138?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I all ways use power flow flux. Its a plumbing flux . So for hand rail i will put some flux down on very clean brass. use a small screwdriver to put a very little solder past down on the joint . Apply heat ,joint done . Very little cleaning up.

john

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2016, 05:36:15 pm »

Thanks both for the advice. I also use the same flux, its very corrosive but washes off ok. Just out of interest when you apply the heat to this paste do you use a flame or iron?  Mark

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2016, 05:50:19 pm »

HI Mark
I only use the past for small brass items . I use a soldering iron . Done some to day on hand rails . The flux is good but corrosive. I find warm soapy water is fine  .

john

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #305 on: November 01, 2016, 08:25:10 am »

Hi Mark,

She's coming along very nicely, your attention to detail is paying off and quality of workmanship is excellent.

Soldering is a skill that can be hard to master, as said in previous posts a good flux is very important, cleanliness is a must, making a jig to keep parts in position can take longer than doing the job, but pays dividends in the end and most of all good heat - a little pen torch to concentrate heat in a small area is key.
Keep at it mate, you are doing a great job.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2016, 08:34:35 pm »

Hi, newbie here! I am about to start this model and probably the first of many requests for help. I made the Smit Rotterdam about 15 years ago so some experience of BB models and while pleased with the result made the mistake of assuming it was just a grown up Airfix kit which I could complete quickly. I intend this to be different however with no time limit and will be more than happy if I can come anywhere to to Mark T's stunning example.

It is early days but can I ask for some advice please about the paint? I would like to use spray cans as much as possible but wonder where is the best source for the main colours green, orange and blue? Also which is the best primer to use, I assume that can be done with bush. I saw mention of Halfords for paint but obviously the colour needs to be as close as possible to the real thing.

Thank you in advance- Peter

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2016, 08:44:59 pm »

Hi Peter, welcome to Mayhem, your question about paint is not to early, knowing where to get your supplies means you can order as funds are available. Depending were you live, 2 possibilities, use Halfords, they will match paint and produce rattle cans for you, also if you have an auto paint supplier in your area they will mix paint for you, its also a lot cheaper than Halfords, filler and sanding papers are also available in bulk, its the stuff the pros use.

Ask your questions we love to help but we love photos of progress even more

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:04 pm »

Hi Peter I obtained all of my paint from Halfords and used the colours on the shelf to save on cost. The colours are VW brilliant orange, ford signal green, rover taihiti blue, seat flash red and ford dove grey. Have a look on pages 2 and 3; you will find most of the information you need there. I have sprayed all of my build I've only used a brush to do small touch ups. Mark

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2016, 09:04:01 pm »

Thanks Mark, that is useful. I am wading through the 'back numbers' of posts an must have missed that. Thanks again - Peter

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: November 28, 2016, 09:28:17 pm »

Hi, newbie here! I am about to start this model and probably the first of many requests for help. I made the Smit Rotterdam about 15 years ago so some experience of BB models and while pleased with the result made the mistake of assuming it was just a grown up Airfix kit which I could complete quickly. I intend this to be different however with no time limit and will be more than happy if I can come anywhere to to Mark T's stunning example.

It is early days but can I ask for some advice please about the paint? I would like to use spray cans as much as possible but wonder where is the best source for the main colours green, orange and blue? Also which is the best primer to use, I assume that can be done with bush. I saw mention of Halfords for paint but obviously the colour needs to be as close as possible to the real thing.

Thank you in advance- Peter

Hi Peter
one tip . photo copy every part. In that way you have a full set of masters if you need to remake a part

john

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2016, 10:13:12 pm »

Thanks John

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2016, 08:55:00 am »

Good look with your build ,I have fitted a working stern thruster to my build of Fairmount ,if you require any info PM me . Do not rush take your time . Have a look on Component Shop there is a Action wiring diagram ,sorry if you already know this .
Mark worked a bit faster than me .I am into my 4th year  ,as said earlier good luck .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #313 on: November 29, 2016, 09:09:56 am »

Thanks David. I intend to make it a static model although I do like the idea of including lights as Mark has done, that would give it a little edge methinks, particularly in subdued light. - Peter

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #314 on: November 29, 2016, 12:45:03 pm »

Peter, you cant do so much work, time and effort and leave it as a static model, at least build in the prop shafts and motor mounts, rudders etc, should you change your mind or wish to sell on the model

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #315 on: November 29, 2016, 03:09:36 pm »

Thanks Jarvo, yes you are quite right of course. It is just that I am not really into working models and have no knowledge of the RC building 'art' but I will certainly be building in the option of going RC down the road - Thanks, Peter

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2016, 11:12:30 pm »

When you get to the stage of doing the railings I have some brass stanchions I had photo etched for my build  thy are the same size as the ones in the kit , if you are interested let me know .,thy are better to work with than the white metal ones .
David     

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2016, 07:55:09 am »

Thanks David, that is very kind of you. Yes, I was looking at them yesterday and thought the same (and there are 18 short!) I would be interested and would obviously meet the costs etc. Perhaps best if we go to an email for this, I can be contacted on *********

Please use the forums email system
ken

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2016, 08:45:02 pm »

Evening all, a question please re painting. Is there a preferred primer to use, or one not to! There are any number of standard primers available in DIY stores but all seem to be white. I notice Mark yours is a greyish colour and can see advantages here as the contrast will be better than one the same, or almost as the wood itself, thank you!

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2016, 09:15:39 pm »

I've seen mention on quite a few occasions, that Halfords grey primer is one of the preferred ones. (other brands are available).
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2016, 11:48:25 pm »

For all the paint work on my Fairmount  build I used Humbrol bought direct from Humbrols web site . I used there grey spray primer .
If you have not looked at there web site there are is a lot of info
No dout there will be some on here who will decry Humbrol  from past history , all I can say it worked for me .
David

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #321 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:40 am »

Thanks Kipper and David, that is useful. I was coming round to the idea that I would brush the primer but if there is a spray primer available (rattle can) that sounds a better option.

I am in Rotterdam next week, there is a decent-sized model shop there which I plan to browse around for bits, will report back if I find anything interesting!

Peter

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: December 10, 2016, 11:24:44 pm »

I am in Rotterdam next year ,where is the model shop ,do you know what it is called please.
David

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2016, 08:15:26 am »

Yes they are called Meijer & Blessing. They cover all forms of modelling but do have a good stock of Billing Boats. I have been there a couple of times but always in a hurry so not sure what their tools and accessories stock is, I will check it out. They have a website which you can google, it is in Dutch but does give location and opening times, note they are closed on Mondays.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2016, 09:50:58 am »

At last I have an update on my build; and yes the superstructure is now complete  %% %% %%   Unfortunately I have lost all of the step by step photo's of this process  >>:-(   Oh well never mind these things happen!  So whats been happening?  The exhausts etc have been fitted as have the pipework, stairs, lifeboats and lots of other bits and pieces.  I've been through the plans and as far as I can see I haven't missed anything.  Just a few windows to by glued on the inside but I'm leaving them to last.  So here's how it looks

And here is how it looks on the hull - Honestly I cannot even express just how happy I am with this  :embarrassed:

So whats next?  I have two things left to make and they are the deck cranes which I'm making next and lastly the mast and antennas.  I've decided not to fully light the mast but I will put some token lights on it.  Its so close to being finished I just can't wait now for its maiden voyage  :-))

Thanks for looking - Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.