Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build  (Read 156250 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Fairmount Alpine Build
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2017, 06:39:20 pm »

I've managed to get a bit of time on the main mast and so far so good.  Its pretty much made out of three main parts so I started with the two uprights that sit either side of the main tube.  I made a template to make these so that they were identical and I silver soldered these together.  I did this because I knew that I had to solder quite a few more parts onto these uprights, so my thinking was that they would stay together better if I used soft solder for the other parts due to the higher melting point temperature.

These two parts were then soft soldered to the main 2mm tube.  Its not a flat mast the parts are offset which doesn't make the job any harder I just had to put a bit more thought into how to get it right.

Viewed from above

I have to say at this point - Now that I have seen just how small this mast is; how david48 managed to build all eleven lights into his mast is completely beyond my abilities.  I will put a light on the top but thats about as good as I can do!  David I take my hat off to you mate  :-))
Next I made the mast support which was also soft soldered but I had to make sure that the brass around the joints was visible due to the previous silver solder that had been used in the same place.  It all went okay.

I'll get some more done soon but its looking ok so far - thanks for looking Mark  :-)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #351 on: January 08, 2017, 12:27:46 am »

Hi Mark are you going to have a working radar scanner if so do not get to far on before you decide how you are going to   drive it .  I used a bit of modellers license and put another frame at the front . Stan put me on to a motor and with a voltage reducer board from Comp Shop managed to get it to a realistic speed .
David

Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
« Reply #352 on: January 08, 2017, 06:03:34 am »

I'm amazed at how David got all lights wired in too as I ended up running an extra brass rod up behind the main mast to earth all my lights and then used main mast for the positive feed as for the life of me I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to run all they wires up to the lighting

Keep up the good work

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #353 on: January 08, 2017, 09:04:57 am »

Hi David I'm not going to be able to make the radar turn as I just do not have enough room left to house the motor.  This is because of the servo linkages for the fire monitors; the two would just clash.  I knew it would be this way when I took the decision to make them move as well as squirt water.

Vts99 what an excellent solution to the problem  :-))

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2017, 11:24:00 pm »

Thanks Mark yeah it has helped I think I managed 7 lights this way so helped plus with just a little gap between you can't really notice it once it's painted.

Just a quick question as I'm going for a similar electrical setup to yours and was wondering what transmitter you were going to use as I'm adding 2 working winches to mine that I think will mean I'll have to use an 8 or 9 ch setup but not too sure yet

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2017, 05:45:38 pm »

I'm using a Spektrum DX10T - its way overboard really but fun to play with. I also got it for a very good price which definitely swung the deal

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:19 pm »

Thanks Mark yeah it has helped I think I managed 7 lights this way so helped plus with just a little gap between you can't really notice it once it's painted.

Just a quick question as I'm going for a similar electrical setup to yours and was wondering what transmitter you were going to use as I'm adding 2 working winches to mine that I think will mean I'll have to use an 8 or 9 ch setup but not too sure yet
If you are looking for an all sing dancing TX /RX system take a look at the FrSky Taranis X9E. It is a very power full raido system
John
https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=143

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #357 on: January 11, 2017, 05:28:05 am »

Thanks guys will check both out as wasn't sure how to control all the functions

Graeme

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2017, 05:35:50 am »

There is a thread on mayhem that helps explane the Frsky TX/RX

john
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55175.0.html

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2017, 07:04:30 am »

Try this unit - http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/246827/

But dont buy all of them, leave one for me!!!!
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:29 am »

Try this unit - http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/246827/
But dont buy all of them, leave one for me!!!!

Link ?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:56 am »

"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2017, 02:46:46 pm »

Yep, that link works fine - looks to be a very good bit of kit - must have a word with Swmbo. <*<

Regards,

Ray.

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #363 on: January 12, 2017, 12:43:35 am »

The first 2 are ideal but out my current budget . Last one is in my budget but needs either a twist switch or on off on switches for the winches so guess I'll keep looking . May just try an 8 ch and see what happens

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #364 on: January 12, 2017, 08:07:17 am »

Vts, that transmitter has 4 on-off-on switches, would be perfect for winches
Tugs are for pulling

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #365 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:34 am »

Didn't see that on the last one only saw standard switches . May just have to get one now thanks

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2017, 03:20:40 pm »

I've now finished building the mast which I've really enjoyed doing.  Its a bit tricky in places but its turned out Ok.  I'm sorry about the pictures they are not very good but it gives you an idea

And this is what its like in position.  I have to say its very very fragile when its off of the boat

This is the very top part of the mast - I think this took me about 6 attempts and about 5 hours before i got anywhere near this effort.  It was just so fiddly to get it looking anywhere near symmetrical.  I think it was the third attempt that got battered with a heavy block out of pure frustration  <*< >>:-( {-)

So now I've got to prep the mast for paint and also fit an LED at the top of it.  I can't make the other antennas yet as I've run out of 0.75mm brass rod to do the job but its on order.

Thanks for looking - Mark  :-)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »

Hi Mark
As you, that bit is a pain I had it all fitted and a white LED ,anchor light then when it was all fitted to the Bridge it all becomes a lot vulnerable. Then what did I do caught it with my sleeve and pulled part of it off breaking the wire to the light .Its just to much to go back and repair it ,so I am resigned to leaving it ,until something else happens then I will rebuild it . AHHHHH well  - - - - happens .
David 
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2017, 05:16:46 pm »

Hi mark
Look good . I know the felling on how long it takes to make some small parts

John

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2017, 05:19:43 pm »

Hi David its funny you should say about the damage to your boat as I don't think that mine will stand the test of time.  The weakest part of the whole build is at its highest point and is just waiting to be broken. If - sorry when mine gets damaged its coming off and will not be replaced  {-)

John give me a hull to build any day over these fiddly bits  :-))   But its these bits that bring the whole build to life

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2017, 05:49:07 pm »

Really nice work on the mast Mark!  It does look really good.  Sometimes frustration is a part of boat modeling but at the end the result is worth the effort!

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2017, 08:47:54 am »

One for Mark T please ... I like your alternative decking solution, particularly as having seen these decks myself you have managed to capture the different 'shades' effect which happens as individual planks get replaced. Two questions please, how did you achieve the finish? I have found some 3mm wide strips on the web which should fit the bill, Billing Boats ones have two different types of wood, and perhaps could mix up the type but not sure. And second, as the detachable deck here is flush with the main deck around it do the added planks raise it significantly or did you lower the detachable deck to compensate - Thank you! Peter

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2017, 05:19:13 pm »

Hello Peter; firstly I achieved the different shades completely by accident.  After having fitted all of the planks in place I then went onto spray the grey primer.  This was rubbed down which made the planks dirty with the primer dust and it never really came off.  But the result is what you see - just pure luck  :D

I achieved the finish by first giving the whole deck a coat of finishing epoxy to seal it and then after final paint the whole things received a spray coat of Halfords clear lacquer.  I really went to town with the lacquer here because I think that this deck will be pretty much permanently wet when I sail it.

Lastly the planks that I fitted were part of the kit.  They are 0.85mm thick and they do stand proud of the actual deck by this amount.  Does it notice?  Not when I consider the grief involved in lowering the deck as its already very low and thin.  I hope this has been some help  :-)

Peterb 14

• Shipmate
« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2017, 05:27:59 pm »

Thanks Mark, that is useful. Of course, having looked at the off-cuts bin there are indeed what looks like enough left over. My version is a static model so I don't have to consider the weatherproofing aspect which will make things a little simpler. The effect is certainly very good, thanks again.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #374 on: January 29, 2017, 05:28:02 pm »

So carrying on with the mast I fitted the top and gave it a couple of coats of primer

I then made the other two antennas and also the crane supports

Next it was time to finish the paint on the mast

Which amazingly completes my build  {:-{    :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.