Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Often Do You Lubricate Your Brushless Motor Bearings?  (Read 2164 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
How Often Do You Lubricate Your Brushless Motor Bearings?
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »

In model flying the ballraces in brushless motors are normally considered the weak spot in all but the most expensive of motors - which use Japenese rather than Chinese bearings. Part of the problem is revs, part out of balance propellers, and part the poor quality of the bearings themselves.

In scale model boat use they tend to run at much lower revs but in an often damp environment. In power boats they run both fast & damp.

So how often do you lubricate your bearings and is it a drop of oil at each end of the motor with any excess wiped away or something more elaborate?

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Re: How Often Do You Lubricate Your Brushless Motor Bearings?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:02:21 pm »

Fast electrics (with water cooling): flex shaft is cleaned up after each run. Water cooling circuit (that is ESC and motor cooling jackets) is thoroughly rinsed with WD40.
Motor and flex shaft are dried with a hair dryer. Motor bearings and shaft bearings (if applicable) get a drop of oil when they're put back.

On scale models maintenance occurs much less often. I would usually take the shaft and motor out once a year for clean up. My hulls and decks are dry. And when I get home I take the superstructure off so that any damp air inside the hull can evaporate.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:43:48 pm »

Hi, Even if it is not needed a drop of oil will do no harm, far better a little more than a little less. nemesis

Time Bandit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:39:37 pm »

Normally those bearings are "lifetime" lubricated.
But the lifetime at revs > 15k will be limited in any bearing, not matter where they come from.
So I never used oil on them (the oil could in worst case "wash out" the grease), but I already changed a few of them when worn out.
regards

Tobias

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:37:36 pm »

Thanks guys.
I totally agree about leaving the model open in a warm well ventilated area to thoroughly air but I also occasionally rub the proverbial oily rag around the mechanical bits. Sounds like nobody does any more.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.