Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Engineer Exhibition Sandown Park 2014  (Read 5009 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Model Engineer Exhibition Sandown Park 2014
« on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »

A few samples of the models on show this year as I have just got back from the setting up. There are many more marine models on display than previously including all three of Alex McFadyens huge battleships - yes, Richelieu is now here at last. And just across the way is Colin Vass' Warspite. Another superb Warspite as in 1931/32 is on show from David Brown. You can also see all Ashley Needham's Top Gear and innovative models as featured in Model Boats magazine plus there are some excellent club stands. The show runs from tomorrow Friday 12th to Sunday 14th December. Well worth a look if you are within easy travelling distance.

Details here: http://www.modelengineershow.co.uk/

Colin

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: Model Engineer Exhibition Sandown Park 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:15:34 pm »

:-)) If anyone is interested my club the Pheonix model marine club will have a large display at the show and I will be there tomorrow afternoon,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:40:59 pm »

Yes, the Phoenix club display is pretty impressive.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »

Show open today. Very strong displays from the club stands which occupied the whole of one upstairs hall plus there were competition models in the adjacent one and also some very nice boats on some of the engineering society stands downstairs.

The model boating hall was very crowded almost all day and there were some superb models on show. Unfortunately no model boating traders which is a pity as I think they would have done well given the number of potential customers there.

The scope of the exhibition has been widened this year to encompass other areas of modelling with a 'Makers Area' which includes 3D printing machines plus model railways, some fairground models and a carriage display (of the horse and cart sort).

All in all, a big improvement on previous years I thought.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 06:02:41 pm »

So there was nowhere for Phil to spend his £20 note then  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 06:18:01 pm »

Well, he could have bought me a coffee and a sandwich Dave... But I never saw him.

But I will be back on Sunday.

Colin

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 06:34:43 pm »

hi colin ,
is there any chance of photos of the  horse and carriage display please, I have a interest in them (some one has to )
thanks
david

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:26:30 pm »

Might be able to take a pic on Sunday. Otherwise, another good venue is the Brighton show in February. I have seen some really good carriage displays there in the past.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 03:55:22 pm »

Have they got a pond up there for practical displays?

I went a few years ago and they didn't have one, but there looked to be plenty of room outside to put one up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 05:24:47 pm »

No pond I'm afraid. Considered too cold for am outside one at this time of year - freezing temps today. There used to be one when there was a Spring show years ago. There is room for an inside one but the Racecourse owners weren't very happy when whey saw a borrowed one being filled one year and felt it was too much of a flooding risk.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 05:34:40 pm »

They always used to have an outside pool back in the '80's when it was held at the Wembley Conference Centre. Are people getting soft?

You can get some very neat inflatable pools now, and they're not hugely expensive (made in China of course like anything these days) considering the size of the things.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 06:37:02 pm »

It's about time the show was moved further north to say the Telford International Exhibition Centre. Then perhaps, it may regain the eminence the show once enjoyed, with exhibitors and attendees alike from a much larger geographical area being able to attend.  For the last decade or so The Model Engineering Show has been little more than a joke and more akin to a local show for London and the southeast rather than the premier show of its kind in the UK.

I, and others would like to attend but, there is no way that I would drive 600 miles or so and spend £100 on diesel just to see a few model boats especially, ten days before Christmas.

So, organisers remove your heads from your botties and look about you - or let someone else take it in hand who has the vision and vitality to make it work!

LB

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 07:18:46 pm »

You seem to have got things a bit mixed up LB!

First of all there is already the Warwick and IPMS shows in the area you are suggesting during November/December. Adding another one hardly makes sense!

The Model Engineering Show in fact takes place after Christmas at Alexandra Palace and is entirely different from the Model Engineer Exhibition at Sandown Park. So I'm not sure as to which one you think you are referring. Personally I think it would be better if these two shows were to be combined as we could do with a flagship show in the South East to supplement the excellent Brighton ModelWorld in February but show organisers unfortunately tend to do their own thing and don't coordinate their activities.

But if you are going to criticise then at least get your facts right, there are hundreds of model boats at Sandown Park at the moment - not just a few. This type of negative put down really doesn't help the hobby and you should know better!

Colin

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 07:39:11 pm »

:-)) Well said Colin,this years show was the best I have seen for many a year, the boats out numbered the railway models which usually are the biggest part of the show normally, yes it would have been nice to have a pond but you cant have everything just nice to see a lot of old friends,the only fault with it was a lack of trade stands as there were a lot of people walking around looking to buy things and were not able too,the international boat show is great but is too far away for me to drive so the last one I went to by train which cost me a large pile of cash well worth it but not a thing I can do very often,I will be going to Alli Pally and Brighton which I enjoy very much,Ray :-)) :-)) :-))     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 07:46:54 pm »

I meant the Model Engineering Exhibition of course...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 08:06:37 pm »

Yes, Ray, it is a pity that there were no model boating traders as there were certainly a lot of potential customers yesterday. I didn't attend today but will be going again tomorrow.

The quality of the models on the club stands was very good indeed and included a lot of previous medal award winners. The stands themselves were very well put together to display the boats to best advantage and all involved deserve the credit.

Maybe next year we will see the traders again.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.