Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My compressor is too big  (Read 6933 times)

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
My compressor is too big
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:44:05 am »

Hi all. Some years ago I bought a 50 litre air compressor from a hardware store with the intention of using it for air brushing.  I prefer to run this outside the workshop for safety reasons and this gives rise to it being quite inconvenient for the "quick brushing job" as I have to take it outside and set it up with extension leads, long hose, etc. I also have to compress a large volume of air for a small job. Before changing it to a smaller compressor which I could keep set up under the table, I thought I could get some useful comment from the forum and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the subject.  Happy sailing.  Brian

Stavros

Re: My compressor is too big
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:38 am »

Why spend money on another compressor when yuo allready got one.....if you are so afraid of using your present one in the garage,then please tell me what the difference is in buying another one.I use a compressor on a daily basis and so do one heck of a load of others

Dave

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:44 am »

If your present compressor is electric powered then this makes no sense.

The cost of compressing 50 litres of air is effectively nothing compared to the cost of buying a new compressor. I also find that a 50l tank is big enough that it doesn't need to keep recharging whilst I am working on small projects like painting models.

Safety???

inertia

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:48 am »

S/S
I couldn't agree more with Stavros, who paints cars for a living and always favours the biggest of everything anyway. A big compressor will power a decent "proper" spraygun for larger jobs like full hulls, which you'd otherwise have a helluva job painting with a small airbrush and compressor. Me? I was bought a 50L compressor from Machine Mart as a prezzie years ago. It gets used with Badger airbrushes and I've never felt the need for any other type.
On the other hand if you've convinced yourself that you want a smaller one as well - for whatever reason - then just go out and buy the thing. Who cares what anyone else thinks?!
Dave M

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:36:47 pm »

I have a small hobby compressor which I find entirely suitable for hulls as well as smaller jobs. It sits on the shelf under the bench ready at a moments notice. Further, it is quiet enough to be brought into the house, if required, meaning I can spray when the workshop is cold and the outside air is damp.

Works for me.
Don't Assume Check

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:48:09 pm »

Well, couldn't be clearer said!  Thanks gents and happy sailing.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »

I used to run an airbrush off of an old tyre, pumped up to about 40PSI, it would give a fair amount of time of use before it had dropped to about 20psi and needed re - pumping - it was quiet too - if the need for quiet is a priority.
Grendel

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »

I have a big un 50litre and a little un (see the pic) The big un is very noisy and like you say needs to be outside.

The little un stays under the bench and is really quiet in use. The drawback is even using a airbrush at 20psi it tends to run all the time, whereas the big one would run for 4/5 minutes until the tank was full and then switch off, at 20psi that tankful would last for any airbrush session yo had in mind! I do have a quarter cup normal spray gun that gets to do my large jobs like hull spraying. Even then I've found the price of spraycans cheaper than buying paint and thinner, the only good part is that using paint and not spray cans you get an overall thicker coating.

boman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:06 pm »

I have used both. A large compressor, and the small bench top version. The big one wins. As some have pointed out, once it is full, you never really have to hear it again, just fill it up, then wheel it inside to use. The little one never really did the job it was bought for. it is just too small.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:01:42 pm »

Some encouraging comment here.  Thank you all.  I now realize, also, that my hoses leak and that causes it to lose pressure a lot faster than it should.  I had not thought it would be that significant, but the thought of doing the whole session with one filling, even two, is attractive.  Cheers and happy sailing.  Brian

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:28 am »

I can't really add much to what's already been said except to say I have a big(ish) compressor. It has a regulator so if I need to pump tyres I set it high, but if I'm using an airbrush I cut the pressure back. It is rather noisy when running but, as it's used in my shed the noise is not an issue.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 01:03:23 am »

I hope all of this talk of large or biggish compressors doesn't mean that they have oil splash sumps   >>:-(....... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 07:47:19 am »

I hope all of this talk of large or biggish compressors doesn't mean that they have oil splash sumps   >>:-( ....... Derek

Unless its an industrial unit Derek, compressors sold for home use in the UK are 'dry'. They have a separate oiling system for the moving parts that you put a squirt of oil in every so often.

What you do need though is a water trap on the airline, they produce phenomenal amounts of water in the compressed air, especially in the colder/winter months.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 12:45:34 am »

I hope all of this talk of large or biggish compressors doesn't mean that they have oil splash sumps   >>:-( ....... Derek

Why do you say that Derek?

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 03:44:17 am »

Afternoon Brian56/Peter.....simply that typical 4 or 8CFM compressors have a splash lubrication sump that carries over miniscule atomized droplets of oil into the receiver tank

So even with quality Filter/Regulator units on the discharge of the compressor, does not necessarily ensure this atomized oil is not carried to the air brush.........with disastrous painting results

I have the tee shirt >>:-( .........& now have a CIG branded Big Beaver diaphragm [oil less] compressor for airbrush work :-)) ........

Admittedly the output volume is low......but more than sufficient for spray painting/airbrush type work........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 12:38:35 pm »

If a noisy compressor is the issue, and therefore a reason to change to a smaller version so as not to annoy the neighbours, a cheaper option is a sound enclosure around the noisy parts, allow for adequate ventilation and air feed a structure could be constructed that could reduce the noise by 3-6 or 10 dba, just by using home roof insulation and some timber. almost like throwing a duvay over the noisy bit would reduce the noise by at least 3dba.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 07:06:04 pm »

Tried the duvet trick with the wife, things just got noisier. S**t hope she doesn't read this!
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Ben Kenobi

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 01:00:03 am »

For what it's worth when I started modelling back in the 70's I had a badger airbrush and ran it off a spare tyre. When that proved too limited I bought a large dive tank - the sort you use for scuba - put 200 bar in that and you can spray for days ... and the air's perfect too.

On the oil topic I dabble with old cars and can assure you that with the correct gear that there is NO carry over of water or oil, if there is then your installation is flawed and unsuitable for painting with. My compressors both have oil sumps but also have, oil and water separators and a desiccant drier, one of them provides breathing air so must meet certain standards for carry over (I also have a belt filter for good measure).

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 01:30:48 am »

Hi Ben...... from memory, compressors for recharging breathing air receiver's in OZ use peanut oil as the lubrication medium

My understanding of the original posing & comments related to home workshop type compressors....good for say 3 to 6 Bar max.........my only experience with air compressors for 200 Bar were main air start systems on 15,000 SHP diesel engines :-) ...or for refilling torpedo discharge bottles on warships ok2...or for HP air system in large scale iron making blast furnaces  <*<

Naturally the filtration/regulation/dryer elements in such systems have little similarities to the model home workshop air supply .... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Ben Kenobi

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 01:52:07 am »

Hence my suggestion to use a dive tank - very clean air - in a standard tank 200 bar - you can get them with more.

You can get them recharged at the local dive centre and they make no noise at all, I had mine a long time back and it was put together by A.N.Other but it worked a treat.

I have 6 classic cars in various states so I'm fortunate (or stupid) since I have a pair of Ingersol Rands - one for breathing air with separator and drier, one spit into two manifolds via an oil water separator into one for tools (which does carry oil for the tools because I want it to) and one spraying which is passed through an additional drier.

You're correct about the filtration systems - I had one of those little reciprocating airbrush units - crap of the worst kind but I couldn't justify the hundreds badger wanted ... I don't see though why a decent filter / separator couldn't be assembled for a model workshop if you do enough painting to justify a dedicated compressor.

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 11:48:51 pm »

About dive tanks - dive shops hereabouts will not fill a dive tank unless you provide proof that you are a qualified diver. A reasonable requirement, IMHO. (I'm not a diver.) I believe that this restriction exists throughout North America.

Tom

Ben Kenobi

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 12:35:31 am »

You'd be surprised what's achievable on the African continent.

In the UK you don't need to show anything other than the certificate for the bottles pressure test. I don't use that method any more - I play with old cars so I have a pair of Ingersol Rand commercial grade compressors.

Can't be doing with the nanny state that seems to be encroaching everywhere - if I want to do something stupid I should have the right to do it, protecting people from themselves is a slippery slope, as long as they don't harm others where's the harm I say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.