Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Torpedo Boat Destroyers - Deans marine TBD 39 kit  (Read 5334 times)

goingdown

• Full Mayhemer
Early Torpedo Boat Destroyers - Deans marine TBD 39 kit
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:11:03 am »

Following an article in a recent edition of marine modelling about the new deans marine kit - torpedo boat destroyer 39,

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/products_id/2928

I was interested in the kit but couldn't find any photos / drawings of this kind of vessel.   Ideally I would like to install two shaft propulsion as per the prototype (if that is what they carried).   Could anybody help me out as to where I should look for early torpedo boat destroyers / catchers.

Cheers

Guy

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Early Torpedo Boat Destroyers - Deans marine TBD 39 kit
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:57:18 am »

The book to get on TBD vessels is "The First Destroyers " by David Lyon ISBN 1 86176 005 1
I built Velox 1904 at 1/96 and and also Turbinia for which I have the plans for sale . Both hulls are available.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:11:04 am »

I may be wrong, but I don't think the prototype did have twin shafts. It is unlikely there would have been sufficient room in such a small hull for two reciprocating engines. Although the Deans model goes like greased lightning, the original boat was actually rather slow and barely able to keep up with major warships of the time.

I have just bought the Chylds Hall Model Shipyard semi kit of the Yarrow 125ft steam torpedo boat as a Christmas present from my Wife.
http://www.chyldshallmodelshipyard.com/

http://www.chyldshallmodelshipyard.com/Hull%20and%20semi%20kit%20catalogue%202..pdf

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:19:25 pm »

Speaking as someone who has both models in their build pile, both are lovely kits and have excellent quality GRP hulls.
Whilst the Chylds Hall torpedo boat is based on a real class of vessels, the Deans marine kit is a generic representation of a collection of early TBDs. It even states that in the instructions so you can build the kit as you wish. The Chylds Hall is smaller at 1/48 scale whilst the Deans is 1/32 but both go well as I've seen both prototypes in action.
As John Haynes says the First Destroyers book is excellent with loads of drawings and photos but another one is British Destroyers from the earliest days to the Second World War by Norman Friedmann.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:57:42 pm »

Hi Nick there is a small interesting article with a few pics in the book Steam, Steel and shellfire which may interest you.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:23 am »

Thanks David

I was looking through Amazon and spotted that book but didn't know if it was any good, I'm adding it to my reading list. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:48 pm »

I have none of the Dean's Marine kits, but from reading bits here and there I believe that his kits are as prototypical as possible, so if she has one shaft then the kit will also have a single one. From reading a passage on the Turbinia, there was little room for anything in the hull other than boilers, feed and turbines!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.