Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Dundee, Scotland  (Read 4743 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello from Dundee, Scotland
« on: December 21, 2014, 01:39:08 pm »

Hi everyone, I've joined recently and thought that I should introduce myself. I've been involved in model boats for around 40 years and have been a member of Dundee Model Boat Club since I started boating.
I have been involved in most disciplines of the hobby over the years, yachts, scale, steam and fast electric racing with some success in club and Scottish Federation events.
For the last few years I have been more involved in flying than boating, as a member of the Dundee Model Aircraft Club. Again I fly a wide range of aircraft , electric powered (including ducted fans), glow, petrol and turbine powered from scale to aerobatic. I am also doing some experimenting with 3D printing and have built a delta design printer.
I was looking for a model to work on over winter and as I have enough planes I decided to get a scale boat, especially as it has been around 10 years since I finished the last one. I initially decided on the Model Slipway Envoy as I have built one of their models before (Tsekoa 2) and know they make good kits. Unfortunately out of stock and not available till January, no good for something to do during my Christmas break.
I then decided to go for the Mountfleet Cruiser kit and this arrived last Thursday just in time for the Christmas hols. I have decided to go Brushless and lipos for power using knowledge gained from flying and have a 5060 outrunner KV290 from a plane which should turn a 70mm 4blade prop  on a 3S pack. Some old gel cells will probably provide ballast.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hello from Dundee, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:23 pm »

Hey Jim!

Welcome to the Mayhem!

Pull up a comfy chair and warm your feet by the fire.

NB: Last one to join Mayhem before Christmas has to buy all the mince pies....! 

Martin :kiss:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:19:12 pm »

Here's some virtual mince pies for you!!
Dundee Model Boat club

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »

I have decided to go Brushless and lipos for power using knowledge gained from flying and have a 5060 outrunner KV290 from a plane which should turn a 70mm 4blade prop  on a 3S pack. Jim

I'm sorry, but can't understand why one would want to put a high powered high revving brushless motor into a "steam Powered" ship..........always seems way over the top to me........put a nice buhler low revving motor with a 4 blade brass or bronze prop, use the gel batteries as both power and ballast and you can run all day on it...........no need to put any water cooling in it, no need to change batteries every 30 minutes or so and on a good speed controller, infinite speed variability...............after all, one of these tugs would run flat out at 13 knots in reality, not 40 knots with a wake like a rooster tale............seems overkill to me...........but hey ho, each to their own.............I'm from the old school who hates 2.4 gig and still runs on 40 meg. {-) {-) {-)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 04:05:56 pm »

Here's some virtual mince pies for you!!

but where's the virtual sherry?  :embarrassed:

Welcome aboard.
Don't Assume Check

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:41:51 pm »

I'm sorry, but can't understand why one would want to put a high powered high revving brushless motor into a "steam Powered" ship..........always seems way over the top to me........put a nice buhler low revving motor with a 4 blade brass or bronze prop, use the gel batteries as both power and ballast and you can run all day on it...........no need to put any water cooling in it, no need to change batteries every 30 minutes or so and on a good speed controller, infinite speed variability...............after all, one of these tugs would run flat out at 13 knots in reality, not 40 knots with a wake like a rooster tale............seems overkill to me...........but hey ho, each to their own.............I'm from the old school who hates 2.4 gig and still runs on 40 meg. {-) {-) {-)
Hi Neil
this is not a high revving brushless motor, its only 290revs per volt so on an 11.1V (3S) pack it will only do a max of around 3200 revs off load so less than that when actually turning a prop. It is more of a high torque motor so best suited to larger propellors. (In aircraft use it turns a 16 inch 3 blade on 6S)

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 07:55:26 pm »

Jim,
The main point of Neil's post was to point out that as you will be using gell cells for ballast why not use them for power.
These large tugs take a lot of ballast so a lot of battery capacity available.
Why use LiPos when you already intend to use gell cells.
What motor you use id entirely up to you but a geared motor will give finer low speed control as in my opinion brushless do not have this sorted yet under low speed and load.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 08:00:26 pm »

Hey Martin...here is Mums version of her mince pies....fresh from OZ..... {-) ... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:20 pm »

But he did say "old gel cells" so perhaps they're no good any longer as batteries only useful as ballast
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »

Jim,
The main point of Neil's post was to point out that as you will be using gell cells for ballast why not use them for power.
These large tugs take a lot of ballast so a lot of battery capacity available.
Why use LiPos when you already intend to use gell cells.
What motor you use id entirely up to you but a geared motor will give finer low speed control as in my opinion brushless do not have this sorted yet under low speed and load.

Bob

Hi Bob
the gell cells are dead or won't hold a full charge so are only good for ballast. I am intending to use lipos as they need less maintenance than gells. Once discharged to storage voltage a lipo can be left in storage without any need for further maintenance, gell cells need to be charged regularly to full if stored. Also I use lipos a lot when flying and would rather use them in boats.
I find that brushless motors are capable of good low speed control with a good esc as I rely on this when flying a multirotor.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:16:43 am »

Hi Neil
this is not a high revving brushless motor, its only 290revs per volt so on an 11.1V (3S) pack it will only do a max of around 3200 revs off load so less than that when actually turning a prop. It is more of a high torque motor so best suited to larger propellors. (In aircraft use it turns a 16 inch 3 blade on 6S)

Jim

sorry jim.....there I go putting my foot in it again.............I am a bit of a technophobe as you'll see from my comment about hating 2.4 gig as opposed to 40meg..........didn't realise that you can get slow revving brushless.............always thought that they are all just high revving screamers........ mistake..................I still live and learn. cheers.......buy the way you picked a lovely kit to build.............hope it goes well, and please post some photo build of her. neil.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:12:48 am »

Not a problem Neil, if you don't use brushless you wouldn't know that there is a very large range available. The same motor can be available in a wide range of kV ratings from slow revving to very high.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 04:22:32 pm »

Hi Jim,
      Welcome aboard, one of our guys had the same Tug and boy did that need some ballast! as I remember it weighed around 50/60lbs and was tricky to get in and out of the water he had to use straps. Hope it all goes well.
      Cheers,
            Peter :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.