Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SD 14 Card Model  (Read 91967 times)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
SD 14 Card Model
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:11:25 am »

Hi Gents,
I have just started making a model of the SD14  its build in 0.7mm card and will be over 7ft long when built at the moment I've made the bow section double bottom tanks and the midship bottom shell plates it's like building the real ship but in card and not steel scale is 1:70 close to 5 thousand bits to cut out and think it may take about three or four years to do, am going to make her sailable and radio controlled I would just like to say that a member on here called Carlmt has so far giving me some very good help as he, and his father made one a few years back would any one be interested in me doing a build thread on here but as I say it could be a few years in the making,plus I'll have to work out how to post photos up as I've never done that before.
                                 Regards Howard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: SD 14 Card Model
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:34:56 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:00:11 am »

Just start a topic about it in the Working Vessels section. Add your photos and brief description of what you've done or problems you have found as you go. If it drops off the page between your posts just do a search for your topic title and add more as and when you come to it.

Most people like to finish a boat in reasonable time, but reasonable depends on size and amount of detail you are aiming at. I've finished my sailing trawler in about 15 months. I've now embarked on my anchor handler, I want that done in about 6 months if possible. I'm also starting a scratch built card model, that I don't want to take more than a couple of weeks. If it takes you four years then so it does, no problem this forum will still be here.

But I think you'll find that once you start time will fly by and you'll possibly finish it in half the time- either that or the job will be so immense you put it to one side and never complete it {-) {-)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:48:02 am »

Howard - I find the best way to post up photos is via a hosting site such as Photobucket.  The photos are then 'linked' to the site as opposed to sitting directly on it.  You have to be careful to keep them on the PB site and not move them anywhere otherwise the link is broken and the photo doesnt show up.

If you find that you are having difficulty in this, email me the photos and I will host them and pop them up for you.

Really looking forward to seeing this one come together  :-))   :-))  - would be great to have both r/c SD14's sailing together!!!
Carl

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:03:36 pm »

Hi Howard.
  That's some large job you have took on good luck with the build, these are some photos of San George SD14 at 1.32 scale, the ship is
  at Balne Moor mbc. We Tow her on tug towing events, you are welcome to come along and have a look round the model. The model
  was launched at Wirral m.b.c  with about 8 tugs in attendance what a great day.

John
                         POLL

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 05:20:27 pm »

Again.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:59:17 pm »

Hi Thanks Poll,
 yes I have seen her a few times on here, I must admit It did cross my mind to double every thing thought better of it who knows after this I might just be mad enough to do another one at 1:32 scale if am still around by then am ready getting a lot of help from Carl, so will stick to this little one for now.
                                   Regards Howard.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:55 pm »

Hi Howard.

had this in the files any use .

http://www.ukpapermodels.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=416

frank

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:01:36 pm »

Hi Frank,
 yes had it in favorites for ages that and carmt on here are the ones that grapped my interest.
        but thanks anyway.
                Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:04:40 pm »

Evening all!!
Howard has asked that I upload some shots of the progress on his SD14....

It's certainly coming along Howard.  Having been there and got the tee-shirt, I can vouch that it can be either a soul destroying process or very theraputic to have to individually cut out hundreds of identical parts.  What also has to be born in mind with this kit is that it was designed - and drawn - many years ago...long before CAD was in general use....and that each part has been hand-drawn (with drawing instruments) and that accuracy between what appear to be identical parts can be sometimes 'off'.  On a model of this size and complexity checking, double checking and yet triple checking of dimensions from port side to starboard side has to be continuous to ensure a twist isnt built in.

HOWARD - one piece of advice. When it comes to joining the three sections of the double bottom together, ensure you have a long enough and rigid enough board to fix them down to. Again, to ensure that everything is straight and in line.  Once the ply 'deck' has been fitted to the top of the double bottom plating, this will stiffen everything up nicely.  The ply plate is needed to also spread the load of the removable balast.

:-))

(MODS - Would one of you be so kind as to move this thread to 'Working Vessels' before it disappears under the weight of general model boating topics please? Ta!!)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:35:02 pm »

(MODS - Would one of you be so kind as to move this thread to 'Working Vessels' before it disappears under the weight of general model boating topics please? Ta!!)

What glue are you using Howard?          :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 10:37:06 pm »

Thank you Carl,
Am about to buy a 8ft building board once I,ve got to double bottom floors in but before the tank top floor plates go on Ill join all three sections together then build as one from then on  At the moment am building in my indoor hobby room as outside is just a bit to cool even with the heating on but more worried about the damp air outside,
                                      Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 10:41:45 pm »

Martin, Am using  Deluxe materials Roket Card Glue, not cheap but finding it very good so far but might change to bostic clear as have been told thats also good I have a stock of 5 bottles and 200 stanley blades at the ready.
     Regards Howard.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »

Well done Howard looking forward to following the build, not sure I would have the patience for a projected 4 year build.

When you get it on the water I would love to bring a 1/32 tug up to Goole to give it a push :-))

We will be watching with interest. Regards Chris

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 01:57:09 pm »

Photo update from Howard  :-))

Bow section - which can be very vulnerable on a predominantly card-based model - is best formed from ply and further strengthened by inserting balsa or similar blocks between the ply ribs.  Once sanded to shape, this will give an excellent surface area for the hull plating to be affixed to.  A similar exercise will need to be carried out at the stern.

And at the stern will obviously be found the rudder!!  %%

On our SD, this was controlled by a 'direct drive' system of mounting the rudder servo directly above the rudder stock, in the steering flat on the stern deck of the ship.  It needs a powerful servo and Howard has procured such a device and is planning on using the same method of control.

:-))

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 03:27:23 pm »

Thanks for that Carl,
For anyone interested the servo is a 40kg model, still cant work out how to post photos  have done a search  but still none the wiser.
                                          Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 09:41:42 pm »

Rudder construction - styrene plastic for durability but the correct shape for the vessel.
The use of a square brass rod for the stock is to ensure a positive drive to the rudder and a good, solid connection with the drive servo.  This stock will be housed in a brass tube of sufficient diameter to ensure a smooth action.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 09:42:44 pm »

Lovely work Howard  :-)) O0

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 10:26:08 pm »

Thank you Carl, praise indeed coming from the master I hope I can keep peoples interest over the time it will take as you know its no weekend build.
                            Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 10:35:29 pm »

Hello Chris,
Your welcome to have a try towing it whens she,s built but remember mine is a 1:70 scale build but its will have something like 120lb of lead plus battery's in her Me and Carl are planing a day together when we,ll be sailing both on the same pond at the same time now that will be a good day out.
                                     Regards Howard.

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 05:06:31 pm »

Lookin' good  :-)) . I'll tag along.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 10:37:07 pm »

Howard I have the four years to build a fleet of tugs to tow her  {-)
Seriously a very interesting project and I will watch with great interest. Hope to see you sometime this year in Goole.
Take care Chris

sean Half-pint works

• Full Mayhemer
  • Because I can!
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 01:40:35 am »

I am seriously impressed by this. Keep the pics and info coming, I look forward to more....

Sean
Semper fidelis

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 01:08:56 pm »

Hello Chris,
I,ve a few more photo,s to put up later  I have now joined the three sections together so next few days will be spent welding opps I mean gluing the double bottom longitudinals to the shell bottom plates as I,ve spent the last few nights cutting them all out plus a few hundred slots in them ( what the hell have I started ) and been filling in the forpeak with balsa as this was made out of 0.8 mm ply so it has some strength then a filling of Ronseal resin wood filler then sanded to shape but so far am really pleased how its coming along and even enjoying it  so glad you guys seam to be interested and giving my nice feed back with your committs.
                               Regards Howard. 

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »

Hi Sean,
Sorry just noticed your in Lincolnshire I know its big but am North Lincolnshire, Scunthorpe are you any where near.
                    Regards Howard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.