Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: SD 14 Card Model  (Read 92018 times)

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SD 14 Card Model
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 10:41:02 pm »

Hello Howard. I had the pleasure of building one of these models about 20 years ago, they are an excellent way of understanding the fundementals of ship building, I was fortunate in so much my wife worked for a shipping company and they had one of these on their books, this made it possible to view the photographs taken on board during routine inspections.
The build more or less follows the actual ship down to the finest detail, each cabin is in situ and all the tween decks follow the correct patterns even down to the shape of the hold corrugation bulkheads, I fitted a Hectoperm motor and a 65mm prop and after a couple of coats of runny resin then painting she sailed a treat on our local pond.
Good luck with your project, I wish you many hours of pleasure building her, will she be painted after any particular owner, they were a very popular ship, but!!!  It was said they would roll on wet grass such was the  design.
Howard Q.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:05 pm »

Hi Howard,
Thank you for your reply, My wife of 41 years was born and lived in Sunderland Am from a town on the Tyne her dad was a plater at Austin & Pickersgill so helped to build a few of them but sadly died before I met him her mums flat look cross the river Wear on to the slipways of one of the yards. As for the name am looking at calling her the WELSH TRIDENT, Carlmt a member on here has giving me a great deal of help and him and his father built one and named theres the WELSH ENDEAVOUR, We are hoping one day to sail them together, I,ve bought a T12 motor from Mobile Marine Models not cheap but very good  as for the prop will try and get a 68mm as that's scale size  after making the hull I,ll intend to cover it in 0.4mm ply then resin and tissue and rub down main deck not sure yet hoping to do it and topsides in plastic if not then a main deck of 0.4mm ply again as for rolling working on 120,lb lead plus a few 12volt and 6volt battery's hoping to get some more photos up soon.
        Regards Howard.

sean Half-pint works

• Full Mayhemer
  • Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 05:45:39 pm »

Hi Howard,

I'm near Boston, so not overly far away.  ok2

Any pics to show us?  :-)
Sean
Semper fidelis

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 09:06:10 pm »

Sorry Sean,
I,ve up loaded  three more but still cant get to grips with it yet.
Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 10:18:43 pm »

Hi Howard - just sent you an email about Photobucket.
If you still have problems, let me know and I will pop them up for you  :-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01:13 pm »

Progress from the shipyard - the foreman tells me that the double bottom for practically the whole ship has been laid and that more yard workers will be taken on soon!!!!  :-))

sean Half-pint works

• Full Mayhemer
  • Because I can!
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 12:48:06 am »

There is no need to say sorry Howard, I have a rather dry sense of humor, and my comment was most definitely tongue in cheek  :-))

I will add that, as something of a novice, the idea of a cardboard boat is still something of a novelty.

I adore how the hull is coming together, and especially how much like a real ship the bits look in this state  O0

If you need a pair of hands for anything, drop me a PM, I'm a total novice but looking to learn  :embarrassed:

Sean
Semper fidelis

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 12:15:59 am »

Right  Gents,
This may be my last update for a few weeks as am due to be out of action in a few weeks with a stay in hospital, any way as you can see in the last  photo,s the mid section bottom needed to be done so today I have welded (glued)  the double bottom longitudinals in place after cutting out something like 900 slots then I started on the mid section double bottom floors 180 plus of them now they all have to be shaped and eleven slots cut into each of them, so no time to get bored unless two men in white coats come for me first, I take some photo,s as I go along and hopefully upload them. stick with me lads am in it for the long haul.
                             Regards Howard.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »

Cant you take the model with you into hospital, I am sure the authorities will not mind and some of the doctors can help with the delicate cutting of the pieces.
Seriously take care and hope all goes well, we will be waiting for this marathon build to continue after your full recovery.
Best regards.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 04:13:36 pm »

Hi chris,
 I wish I could but at over seven foot it would be bigger then the bed and am left handed and it my left shoulder there going to put back together, fall of 18feet of the ladders so ended up with four snapped mussels. been told eight weeks with arm in a body sling then about four months of phisyo hope but hope to be back modelling before then.
                                 Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 05:05:18 pm »

Hi Howard - Best of luck with the witch-doctors mate!!
Hope all gets sorted for the better......

Been extremely busy with work just lately, but I have got your latest email and will sort out the photos and post them up this evening.........lovely job on the rudder coming up!!!!

Carl

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 11:27:15 pm »

Hi Gents,
A quick update I,ve reached a big mile stone as I have just finished cutting out the last of the double bottom floors about 350 there abouts most with a 11 slots to be cut in each so am glad to get them out of the way tomorrow I,ll finish welding ( glueing ) the the last 40 are so to the shell bottom plates and double bottom longitudinals then I can start putting the tank top plates on I,ll take some photo,s as I go end get them up for you to see.
                          Regards Howard. 

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 10:00:50 pm »

I sneaked into the shipyard undetected over the weekend and managed to grab a few shots of progress with the SD  ;) .

The rudder construction has come along nicely.  An earlier SD had a rudder driven by a square bar located as a sliding fit within a round brass tube to aid removal when needed.  This was all then driven by a heavy duty servo acting directly on the rudder shaft from above.

This latest SD build was initially heading in the same direction with regard to it's rudder geometry:

But it was clear, having slept on it, the yard Manager could see an improvement where with a small modification the rudder blade could be removed without actually having to remove the shaft as well:

Once this idea had been trial assembled, it was a simple matter to just embed the square brass rod (thread tapped) deep in the rudder blade with the lock-nut also embedded in the top of the rudder.  The blade then justs screws into place on the shaft!!!

Not daft these ship-builders, but they do like to lie down on the job sometimes:

Not long after, I heard the yard hound on the prowl, so I high-tailed it out of there......but I did sneak back in the next day... :-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 10:37:53 pm »

As said, I managed to jump the shipyard fence on the following day when the whole workforce was in chapel......

I can see now why the Yard Manager was looking a little jaded and needed spiritual comfort (he was in the Rivet and Iron pub next door to the yard, not in chapel)......having to cut all the slots in the double bottom formers would be enough to drive any sane man to drink!!!!

He is a diligent chap though - I overheard him muttering about the fact that the Naval Architect still hadnt sent him the GA drawings and that he was concerned that the sizing for the ventilators and other machinery was going to prove problematic.  I am given to understand, as was told by the barmaid Busty Barbara, that the plans were on their way and that he wasnt to worry.

After a hearty meal, I slipped back into the yard and noticed that the morning of worship in the chapel had obviously had a motivating effect of the workforce because all the double bottom framing had been fitted:

Light was fading so I couldnt take any more photos, but I will be back again soon  ok2

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 08:41:06 am »

Noticed some of the workers are child labour  {-) , tea girls perhaps, if not social services will be around for a little word <*< , also two appear to have canes - a visit from the HSE may also be in order  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:48 am »

Looking good Howard!  :o

What tool are you using to make the 'slot' cuts?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:06 am »

Hello Martin ,
Am using a stanley blade stock of 200 and tamiya  scissors as thay have a small curve in the blades which make them very helpful
               Regards Howard.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:05 am »

Just to clarify chaps......

This is all Howard's work.  I am only assisting with posting up the photographs via photobucket as he is having difficulties in this area.  I have added the 'story' to try to explain the photos as we go along - but I am sure that Howard will expand further if I have missed something.

Looking forward to the next updates  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 12:11:05 pm »

Thanks Carl, apologies Howard!   :embarrassed:

Re: Cutting the slots. Are you saying you make two cuts per slot?
      I thought you might be using special scissors or 2 scalpel blades fixed together... or something?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 05:46:46 pm »

I wish there was Martin but just one stanley knife and a pair of tamiya scissors . there only 1mm across at must should be 0.7mm to be right. I give up counting long ago. just glad you lads ar,nt getting bored as I,ve said before this is no weekend project I,ll keep posting as long as people are interested, Carl (carlmt) has been so helpful with info I cant thank him enough and all the others that have left a commit it keeps me going as this is my first build thread.
            Regards Howard.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 08:52:59 pm »

Hi Howard still watching with interest and admiration at such a mammoth project, the mind boggles at the amount of effort that is going into this build.
I admire your commitment and will continue to watch the build progress. All the best Chris G

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 08:48:22 pm »

Hi All,
A update at last after many hours I,ve at last managed to weld (glue) the last of the double bottom longitudinals so can now move on and put the tank top plates on and hind all the hard work and hours of slot cutting I stopped counting at 3,000 have taken some photo,s and will post soon I hope.

Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2015, 09:54:33 pm »

Right I hope I,ll done this right,
A few more photos some of a nice little lead melting machine I bought and some of the bow  now fully packed with balsa after I had replaced the card with 0.8mm ply but before sanding and shapeing, the colour pencils are kids jumbo ones to make the pillor supports instead of card ones slits have to be cut in both ends  and fitted into haxy holes in the double bottom tanks and connected to centre line plates again using 0.8 mm ply and not card strengh.

Regards Howard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2015, 10:00:19 pm »

Sorry guy's must of dome some thing wrong is It should of up loaded about 10 new photos not this old one will have another look.
              Regards Howard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 01:16:56 pm »

Hi Howard,

How is the build going?   :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.