Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice command of boat.  (Read 12767 times)

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Voice command of boat.
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 03:57:59 pm »

We done Ian. I can follow the decision boxes with no problems, the problem comes when trying to get the electronics to do it all.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 11:46:25 pm »

Ultrasonic transducers are cheap - I'd be thinking a few in a housing facing different directions (though the range is only 3m or so) and monitored over time to develop a vector for anything 'incoming'. You'd need to switch it off for when you want to return to shore, though!  %)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 10:57:52 pm »

Hi,

Doesn't time fly - I've been busy renewing the bathroom, so I've not reported since the Mayhem weekend at Wicksteed.

The Voice Control System worked a treat, commanding the Edwardian Steam Launch around the Wicksteed boating pond.

All functions were tested including several "Figure of Eights", all four compass North, East, West and South commands, U-turns port and starboard.

The most impressive was "More Steam" when the prop shaft increased revs within a couple of seconds.

The only command that had to be "retrained" was rudder centring, which was changed (with a laptop) from "Centre" to "Rum Centre" the extra vowel in "Rum" making all the difference.

To be honest, it was a pleasure switching back to joy-stick navigation, since it needed less concentration and didn't suffer from a dry mouth!

I think the voice control system would be good for radio-control where there are lots of auxiliary functions like lights and other servos to control, but I must admit the traditional joy-stick was more relaxing to use.

..and also, the music selection worked ok, with the launch steaming along playing "Captain Pugwash" et al.

Ian.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 11:21:20 am »

It'd be good for those disabled with little finger-dexterity, too.  :-))

Andy

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 09:29:27 am »

Hi Mayhemers,

The Voice Command System has performed much better this season having programmed the system to accept five differently toned (relaxed to desperate) voice commands for each of the important navigation actions, e.g. left, right etc.

I've also learnt to relax whilst using it thus preventing any "attitude"/"panic" affecting my tone of voice.

Down at the Dover Model Boat Association meeting last month, I ran the steam launch for over 30 minutes purely using voice commands including lots of "Figures of Eight" and compass commands - I was enjoying it so much that I ran out of gas and had to be rescued!

The Voice Command was also successfully demonstrated at the National Trust's Ightham Moat pond to the great amusement of the visitors - I even let some of the ladies use my joystick to control the boat!

I had been asked for a demo at the Heron Model Boat Club at Herne Bay, but unfortunately, I was affected by the M20 motorway bridge collapse and couldn't make it.

I will be exhibiting the launch (with all it bell and whistles) at the Model Engineers Exhibition at Brooklands, Surrey on the 16/17/18th September.

Ian

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 03:42:17 pm »

We done Ian,
I would love to see it operate in person, but distance and a bit of wet pond prevent that. Is the anyway you could do a video of its operation?
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 08:05:35 pm »

Hi Gerald,
I've uploaded the video of it under voice control. Sorry about the quality, my camera "assistant" was at home with a broken ankle.

See video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrTrJDHsbgk&feature=youtu.be

I've also got video from the launch mounted camera when it was under voice control, the only indication that the joy stick wasn't being used was a short shot of me with both hands in the air and speaking into the mic.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Ian

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:54 am »

Now THAT's scratch building.  :-))

Love it.

Andy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.