Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good evening....  (Read 2167 times)

Ian f

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Good evening....
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:11:46 pm »

Good evening,

If been looking around a little and wow what a great place for info, infact information overload. I am brand new to this, I'm looking to start off with something kind of "easy" but nothing to simple as I want a bit of a challenge, my problem is I'm having trouble at finding a starting point..... I was thinking of something like a plastic model kit & converting it? If anyone has any starting points/pointers then all advice would be welcome! Like I said I'm a complete novice! Thanks for taking the time to read this as you're probably asked this on a regular basis. Thanks again

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Good evening....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:18:12 pm »

Welcome to the forum,
       Loads of great advice and help on here. Rather than a plastic kit conversion have you thought about going for a full kit? If you like tugs have a look at Mobile Marine Models (nice stuff), Model Slipway there are quite a few good manufacturers out there. Bring up some club websites and have a look at their galleries I am sure you will find what you like. Hope this helps.
       Cheers,
           Peter. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Ian f

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 06:49:57 am »

Thank you very much..... There's so much choice it's just a case where to start now! Another newbie stupid question the wood used in building I am assuming is balsa wood or is it something else?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:17:23 am »

For a plastic kit, there really isn't a better one than the Revell Snowberry.  It's a nice size, lots of detail provided, conversion is simple but needs a bit of thought and still a very reasonable price.
To scratch build, look up Glynn Guests builds.  As originated, they tend to be a bit basic, but can be detailed up - you incrementally create your own challenges.  If balsa is used, it does need plenty of care and attention, essentially it is pre-rotted wood and really likes damp.  By that, I mean that untreated it absorbs water very readily.  Ply generally results in a stronger model, but still needs treatment to keep wet out of the structure.  If you look around on the forum, you will run into the SD14.  That is huge, and made of card, so there is a very wide range of materials that can be used, but some combine ease of build, strength and possible finish better than others.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:31:19 am »

Model Slipway offer a Steam Drifter (MS-25) for those with limited building experience. It won't break the bank too!

http://www.modelslipway.com

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:25:22 pm »

If you fancy a wood/ply build for a lovely beginner type boat check the Traplet Laser cut pack and plan of the Pilot Boat.I did,and I thoroughly enjoyed building it and sail it often...have today.There is info. on here too on build and finishing techniques and plenty of help from the shipmates,just ask away.There are other packs too on the Traplet site.Good Luck.L/S Bob.

49perkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 07:11:36 pm »

All the best to you Ian,any ideas on what takes your fancy?
You can dance if you want to

sean Half-pint works

• Full Mayhemer
  • Because I can!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 02:29:11 am »

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the club  ok2

If your looking for something to cut your teeth on you could do worse the the dickie Seaport tug (there is a whole section on them on here) there a cheap RTR (howes has them at the mo for £39 plus p&p) the stock radio is poor but it works, so you can sail strait away, if you wanna modify it, installing good radio gear and electronics,  as well as the millions of opinions for modification into a decent tug or even fishing boats, drifters and such like is well within possibilities  O0

Hope you enjoy the forum

Sean
Semper fidelis

RongTick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 06:51:40 am »

Good afternoon~ :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.