Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello. how I got here and advice please.  (Read 1924 times)

Stuart

Hello. how I got here and advice please.
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:34:18 am »

Hello to you all.

Briefly, a request to do a diy carpentry job for a neighbour led to a can I repair a wooden boat request. An old wooden steam boat was produced.

Enjoyed doing it. so made a copy for myself. This in turn led to requests for a similar item from  my boys, and my retirement hobby was decided.

I bought a kit with steam engine,  but have decided against steam, so hopefully a forum member may appreciate it.

An article on a Borkum boat  by a member using an electric motor finally decided it for me.

A Krick agent in Germany was advertising new ones at £160 as opposed to £240 in this country so order placed and took delivery yesterday.

Some advice as to which electric motor and batteries and radio control would be suitable would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello. how I got here and advice please.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:37:28 am »

Hi Stuart nice to talk to you this morning. I have used Cornwall Model Boats in the past and had good service from them I think they are not to far from you. Modern radio systems operate on the 2.4 ghz system lots of low priced units on the market. I am sure you can still get 2 channel 27 megs units but the costs may not be much different to the modern 2.4 units. Batteries for you model, I would recommend a gel cell type. This will also provide the ballast for your model. Speed controller I would recommend an electronic type to match the motor you choose.  The motor I would suggest would be some type of brushed motor for this model but one that will have power in reserve to get you out of trouble should you need it.  Do not get anything from power tools they are very thirsty units and they use lots of power and may get hot. Finally you may wish to reduce the size of the prop used, the bigger the prop on direct drive will affect the amount of power used by the motor.  Last but not least if you have a club in your area go along and have a chat with them as this could save you a lot of time and money. I am sure other forum members will be able to offer further advice on this subject.

Stan. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{this morning but now getting answers. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

inertia

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:05 am »

Stuart
As Stan says, a 2-channel 27MHz AM set will cost almost as much as a 4- or 5- channel 2G4 set and is far less "flexible" e.g. you won't be able to operate any extra functions on this or any subsequent model. You might consider a geared motor like the 6:1 MFA Torpedo 500 with a 12v supply. http://www.componentshop.co.uk/motor-540-gearbox-ratio-6-1.html or the 2.3:1 version on 6-7.2v.
They are quite noisy but will happily swing a big prop all day with very little in the way of current drain. For direct drive a 555 motor would be suitable http://www.componentshop.co.uk/mabuchi-555-dc-motor.html  albeit with a smaller prop. I run a Robbe 50mm 3-blade plastic prop fitted to one of these motors on 12 cells (14.4v) in a 30" lobster boat and it's perfick. An ACTion P79 speed controller is fitted to this particular model.
A simple wiring diagram can be found by clicking on this link and scrolling down to "Freelance Tug - Ron Haughty". http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php
Dave M

Stuart

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 02:23:46 pm »

Sincere thanks to Stan for inviting me to call him for advice - I am more than grateful to him as he has pointed me in the right direction on all issues. Thanks also to Inertia for his comments  and to say the prop is 4 blades at 60mm diameter.
What a brilliant start to forum membership.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.