Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: propellers two of  (Read 2621 times)

billyboy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
propellers two of
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:04:25 pm »

Hi new to all this can you help I have an MTB with twin 9v electric motors. viewed from the stern should the props turn clockwise or anticlockwise ? Should the left hand prop be lefthand  and the righthand prop be righthand or both be left or right ?

Confused need to order props for boat ! :((

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: propellers two of
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:30:13 pm »

You will require one of each. In virtually all cases the propeller turned outboard, that is the top of the blade turns away from the centre line.

LB

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:20:34 am »

With counter rotating props, it is even more important than usual to make sure that the lock nuts are really locked to the prop, since one of them will be permanently trying to unwind itself.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:21:43 pm »

Malcolm and LB are of course right, but there was a difference between ship and MTB practice. Packard engines were not handed, and the screws (three in most cases, four in Fairmile Ds] all turned the same way. In Vospers the centre engine drove direct, and the two wing engines, set further back in the boat, drove forwards through V-drives, effectively reversing their rotation.

Similarly, aircraft engines were rarely handed. Lancasters, for instance, would probably have been easier to handle with handed engines. The only exception I can think of offhand was the Lockheed Lightning which had handed Allisons.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:31:11 pm »

I wouldn't compare ships or boats with aircraft practice. Aircraft don't often reverse thrust in the air and the turning couple is large compared to ships. If you want to turn a ship short round with two screws then they need to be outward turning when going ahead.
Jerry.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 09:30:48 am »

Ships, yes, but not MTBs. Presumably MTBs, like Lancasters, turned better one way than the other.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:00:40 am »

Regarding direction of rotation of props on a MTB from what I've read and seen, they all go in one direction on the real vessels but on models they are handed to make them handle better and prevent torque influencing the direction of the model. Not to say that you can't put props that turn the same way on a model- I've done it on a few of my fast boats just remember to adjust your rudder to compensate.

On aircraft like Lancasters, Merlins turned in one direction unless they were suitably modified to fit the de Havilland Hornet long range fighter. The only difference was an extra set of gearing on the front of the engine to turn the output the opposite direction. Griffon engines turned opposite to Merlins but they are a bigger more powerful engine so they didnt mix and match Merlins and Griffons.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.