Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem at Wicksteed - 2016  (Read 225754 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Mayhem at Wicksteed 2016!!!
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2015, 02:37:15 am »

Wind up merchant!  <*<
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2015, 03:05:42 am »

The other thing is how many will participate in events.
It might be worth running a members poll, just to estimate level of interest.
Martin, can one be done with multiple questions or check boxes instead or radio buttons.

There are a couple of people on here who would be up for a destructive competition. But if they are the only ones we would not have much of a competition. Although a demo could be done and maybe attract more for next year if people are interested.

There are at least 3 voices, mine included, who think something less destructive may be better for several reasons.
  • people might be happy to watch others smash their boats, but not do it to there own. And not have to build a special boat as well.
  • upsetting Wicksteed by messing up the lake or presumed reckless behaviour.
  • keeping it simple works the best,
Jousting is feasible, there are many variations on the theme. But perhaps a set of slip on/replacement superstructure provided by the organisers for the event would make it easy for anyone with a springer to bring it along an play without any special preparation and ensure fairness.

Perhaps some other fun/skill competition could be devised to work with a slip on/replacement superstructure.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2015, 03:17:23 am »

Moderated,  Moderated. No need for profanity or insults!! I've said it time and again but a demolition derby can take place. Those that enter know the risks to electronics.  If they were not prepared to loose them then they would not enter. A few talking about carnage etc have never seen or entered this type of competition. They think along the lines of cars etc with bits falling off. The main reason model  boats fail in demolition derby is electronic or mechanical failure.ie the boats stops dead and can no longer function. At this point the boat is perceived to be dead and removed from the competition. 99% of boats fail this way. I have never seen a boat actually sunk in competition.  Get real guys  there will not be bits if boats floating everywhere like after Ians explosion. (And as I remember it was me that cleared the majority of that up) boats will not  be sunk in droves ruining electronics. Those that want to enter  do so at their own risk. Stop voicing pc killjoy attitudes. There are build rules and weapon rules. If the owners don't meet these rules they don't get to play. Simple.

Please tone down your language

Bob
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2015, 08:20:12 am »

Has anyone suggested balloon bursting  ?  Either static or attached to a rival boat for the joust.  A needle on the bow and one little prick etc etc %) :embarrassed:  Balloons to be secured firmly to boats and static pylon or buoy, no polystyrene bits to clean-up.
..well can you land on this?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2015, 08:28:29 am »

Right lads

Klunk and his team hasn't even sorted the rules, etc yet and to boo hoo it before it's been drawn up is a bit unfair on them. Everybody has an opinion but I remember the 2008 springer tug battle and how I was the first to be knocked out (me being a biff not ensuring the battery lead being on tight enough), it was a fun clean fight with no sinkings.
The park will be informed of our intentions via an interview and the risk assessments and if they disagree they will tell us there and then. As long as it's covered by the risk assessment and the mess (if any) is cleaned up they will be happy.
What Klunk and his team need are constructive criticism and ideas, please support them , and if you don't want to take part then that's entirely up to you but let's have constructive criticism from now on not boo-hooing.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2015, 08:45:00 am »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2015, 09:14:00 am »

I, along with a couple of others, was one of the first to come up with this idea, it was done in good faith and with a bit of enjoyment in mind.
It is totally obvious that safety is paramount, its obvious that a fair bit of planning would have to take place and its also fairly obvious that everything would have to be approved by those who organise this great event.
But.... as always on Mayhem, its taken a wrong turn, if I`m totally honest?  I knew it would, it always does!!
I`m fed up with the negativity shown at times, an idea doesn't even have the chance to progress before its knocked on the head by someone.
So ..... I`m afraid I won`t be taking part in what will undoubtedly be a fun event, even "IF" it`s given the chance to progress >:-o
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2015, 09:27:50 am »

thanks corporal nick.
I have a set of rules already drawn. am making a mock up hull to ensure rigidity before I post anything.

now above was a suggestion about pins and balloons. A thought was discussed a couple of weeks back about this doing it with straight runners.pin on the boat and a balloon tied to Phil!! we nearly dismissed the idea but thought......naaaahhh we couldn't deprive Stavros of chasing Phil down the straight running course with one of his super fast straight runners. Dave the challenge is laid down. if Phil wont be a target I will!

Or another plan could be balloon on the back of any boat and a pin on the front. last balloon unpopped wins a prize.

One thing Stavros did say and I do agree with him, I dint want to spend an hour cleaning the lake.

If anyone has ideas please PM me with them. All ideas will be given due consideration and put before a committee. If we have lots of ideas coming forward I will make a vote of which ones you want, but with anything like this we need ideas and people committed to actually entering them. If we don't get your support then its just a waste of time and effort.

I am looking forward to next years mayhem and want it to be the best yet. And hopefully, we will not have a repeat of this years CAR sagas.  Im expecting to see those that missed this year due to circumstances beyond their control. Especially Stavros, cos Phil just wasnt the same without his straight running buddy! in fact he converted to sailing a yacht!!!

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
  • roll on mayhem at wicksteed 2016 !
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »

Wind up merchant!  <*<

not a wind up merchant at all mate
I'm just strait to the point

And I also think it's unfair that you moderated my comment about stav. Fireworks and static displays for next year
lets just hope this one floats !!
fire at will ! ... which one is will ?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2015, 02:20:34 pm »

Just trying to keep the peace Ian...  :-)

Let decide what we actually want as far as events go next year for Wicksteed.
There no point in setting out a whole series of events with rules if only a few people are interested.
As TT says, demonstration events are one thing but mass participation are entirely another!

I think the only thing we've agreed on so far is that whatever even we push, has got to be popular with the majority.

M
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2015, 02:24:27 pm »

Just trying to keep the peace Ian...  :-)

Let decide what we actually want as far as events go next year for Wicksteed.
There no point in setting out a whole series of events with rules if only a few people are interested.
As TT says, demonstration events are one thing but mass participation are entirely another!

I think the only thing we've agreed on so far is that whatever even we push, has got to be popular with the majority.

M

ok .. lets have a show of hands .... then please !

im in  :-))

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2015, 02:27:57 pm »

From someone who's idea of a sensible craft is a bright yellow rubber duck ..... I'm in for jousting (and maybe partial destruction)  :-))

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2015, 02:41:49 pm »

Just to throw it out there, how about springer fire fight :-))

Simple yet effective idea each springer has a fire moniter (waterpump) tow a simple box (icecream tub or similar) with the aim to sink the tow by filling with water from the fire monitor.

Would be good fun and general public im sure would get wet too all be it in the name of fun after all.

Just my input to the mayhem.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2015, 02:44:53 pm »

Just to throw it out there, how about springer fire fight :-))

Simple yet effective idea each springer has a fire moniter (waterpump) tow a simple box (icecream tub or similar) with the aim to sink the tow by filling with water from the fire monitor.

Would be good fun and general public im sure would get wet too all be it in the name of fun after all.

Just my input to the mayhem.

Jay

that would be a good idea . 
especially if people dont want to build a tug for it . and could use the one they already have !

Danny

• Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2015, 02:45:28 pm »

An excellent idea JB.  At this rate these Springers will be the most versatile boats ever!  {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2015, 03:03:37 pm »

I assume you fill the opponents icecream tub, they are all scrutineered to be the same size and not fitted with covert buoyancy :police:
You could start with full icecream tubs, Springer skipper to eat the icecream before attaching to springer,time penalties for slow eaters  {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2015, 05:30:20 pm »

Hi Klunk

Count me in too, looking forward to the 'battle'! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »

A similar idea, a water monitor/cannon duck shoot. Like at the seaside.

Cardboard cut out targets on a floating platform. (maybe more than one set at different parts of lake, could be re-use of steering course)
Some kind of barrier to maintain distance.
Boats have to race across lake to the targets and shoot. If using the steering course then the targets can be place around the steering course.
A set time to knock down as many targets as possible, if all knocked down then the fastest to do so.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2015, 07:48:05 pm »

I am up for a springer battle, though I would rather not actually sink the boat or let the magic smoke out of the electronics.
Remember Mayhem is all about fun, if the risk assessment covers everything we are going to do and the park are ok with what is going on.

Let the fun begin

Brian

Nick I will write the risk assessment  earlier next  year to cover all eventualities (promise)
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Danny

• Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2015, 10:18:42 pm »

Hopefully the risk assessment will include
Risk - injury to ribcage due to uncontrolled laughter
Mitigation - ... er ...
So, moving on ..   ;)

davidsg1a

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2015, 07:27:35 pm »

Just been reading up on to demolition springer, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of support, so far I can make out five people who would take part, the four of us from Scotland and big bad ian, big bri came up with some simple rules. Made out of balsa, standard size which I believe there is plans on this site, no power tools, weapons have to be made, all the rest is up to the builder, surly by the the name,  people would get the idea they are taking the risk of there boat sinking, if your worried about cost don't take part, event can be done at the end of the day, I'll join ian in the pond cleaning up and I'm sure others would as well, I'm with big bri if it's watered down from the original plan I'm out, people who won't even be at the event really shouldn't have a say, it's for the people who are going to attend.

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2015, 09:01:06 pm »

Just been reading up on to demolition springer, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of support, so far I can make out five people who would take part, the four of us from Scotland and big bad ian, big bri came up with some simple rules. Made out of balsa, standard size which I believe there is plans on this site, no power tools, weapons have to be made, all the rest is up to the builder, surly by the the name,  people would get the idea they are taking the risk of there boat sinking, if your worried about cost don't take part, event can be done at the end of the day, I'll join ian in the pond cleaning up and I'm sure others would as well, I'm with big bri if it's watered down from the original plan I'm out, people who won't even be at the event really shouldn't have a say, it's for the people who are going to attend.
To be honest. I totally agree with all aspects of your comments.
I'll happily build one to make a total loss of it including electrics and what not

So seeing it's just us. How about we sort it with klunk and the wiki gents. And have wales v Scotland ! 
Or. 1 on 1. And the winner stays on. Or something like that.
You know me I'm up for almost anything.
It's about having the crack and enjoying our weekend

davidsg1a

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2015, 09:30:35 pm »

Glad to hear your onboard ian, I think all the boats in an arena all at once total carnage last man or mouse standing winner gets to take there boat home.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:34 pm »

I'm ready for a battle against a springer...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2015, 08:38:17 pm »

I'm ready for a battle against a springer...
you won't last 2 mins rich
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.