Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boat Mayhem. Wicksteed for the North?  (Read 9289 times)

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
Model Boat Mayhem. Wicksteed for the North?
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:30:31 am »

The Model boat mayhem event at Wicksteed sound great fun but it's just a bit too far for me to drive down from Scotland! Fuel time and hotel costs make it an expensive luxury.
Is there anyone else who thinks a similar event a bit farther up the country would be a good idea? OK there would still be travel and accommodation costs but a lot less driving time.
Any thoughts?

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boat Mayhem. Wicksteed for the North?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:51:30 am »

Once past Harrogate, events meaningful for model boaters become very thin on the ground and so, yes, I would be interested. However, you will also need to attract the traders who, being mostly small businesses with little cash to speculate, will need strong incentives to attend. If the returns are not there, they will not attend.

Barry M

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:03:19 am »

mayhem weekend is not about traders. its about getting together for a few days with like minded peeps. the traders are just a very good bonus. Support from the traders is important. that is why at Mayhem Weekend is always free to traders, other than the normal cost of travel, entry to Wicksteed and staying over. Mayhem does not have loads of traders like Warwick, Brighton etc but those that do attend are always welcome.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:23:56 am »

Steve,
Myself and the rest of  mayhem's travelling Scottish contingent %% %% had discussed this at wickstead
Yes it would be great, BUT
It stops with location and when to fit it in the diary with all the other shows

The good thing for wickstead is the location not so much Kettering but the park, easily accessible pond, campsite and also something for the rest of the family to do. I think it would be hard to locate a similar location.

from a personal point of below the great thing about mayhem is that everyone goes to have fun,
I am afraid to say a lot of the modellers in Scotland don't understand that concept!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »

The Model boat mayhem event at Wickstead sound great fun but it's just a bit too far for me to drive down from Scotland! Fuel time and hotel costs make it an expensive luxury.

I can give you a piggy back! 
:kiss:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:00:13 pm »

I think the Scottish contingency usually camp on site.  (cheaper than a hotel leaving more money for tasty beverages  ;D )
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:38:21 pm »

I think the Scottish contingency usually camp on site.  (cheaper than a hotel leaving more money for tasty beverages  ;D )

Yeah we use the campsite and have a few quiet drinks in the evenings  %) %) %)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:31:06 pm »

Steve,
Myself and the rest of  mayhem's travelling Scottish contingent %% %% had discussed this at wickstead
Yes it would be great, BUT
It stops with location and when to fit it in the diary with all the other shows

The good thing for wickstead is the location not so much Kettering but the park, easily accessible pond, campsite and also something for the rest of the family to do. I think it would be hard to locate a similar location.

from a personal point of below the great thing about mayhem is that everyone goes to have fun,
I am afraid to say a lot of the modellers in Scotland don't understand that concept!

Here here :-))  Yes its very much about having a FUN weekend. no other event comes even close to Wicky park Mayham event.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 06:36:33 pm »

While we are on the subject. It was made clear to me at the Coalville show last weekend a lot of the traders are going somewhere eles near reading. I had a talk with Martin about this. I don't go to this weekend to buy stuff that the traders have to offer. Nope I go to have a good time with the boats I take along and the company.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 06:44:47 pm »

Any further North and the drive from the South becomes an issue.

Kettering is probably pretty central from a UK population point of view but wherever you hold an event it will be a long drive for somebody. in this case those North of the Border and of course anyone in the West Country.

Also, as Bill points out, Wicksteed Park is a pretty ideal location for a model boating event with all its facilities including camping on site as well as local B&Bs.

Colin

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 06:46:22 pm »

I was talking to some of the traders last weekend and they are going to a show in Berkshire. This is sad but that's how they make their living and who can blame them.
The Mayhem event is very different. It's about running your boats, pushing Ron's van out of the mud and enjoying the company of other like minded model boaters, not buying stuff. We all go to other show like Warwick  to do that.
Would it be the same if it was held near Leeds ? i'm not sure it would be at all.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 07:46:07 pm »

Windermere should be up and running again next year so that's your problem sorted 'aint.

LB

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:03 pm »

The other show is at beale park.  Take it or leave it. Most people who go to Wicksteed know what it's about. Traders that go there seem to enjoy it. Mud and all and the vertical mist. People are wise enough to make their own decision. Indeed a couple of years ago I went to beale park. The boating was good but the trade side was disappointing. But that's my point of view. In fact I found Warwick disappointing in 2014, mainly due to myself and my expectations, not the traders. Each show is individual, but it does annoy me when new shows pick a date that clashes with an established show.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 09:14:14 pm »

Beale is a nice location but has lost its way in the past. It is a lot nearer to me but I would prefer Wicksteed any time. (might not make that either this year though!)

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 09:28:45 pm »

When I have something to sail (i.e, completed!) I fancy coming up to Wicksteed for a sail and some atmosphere:O)

I was going to suggest the Kirklees club as a suggested place to gather for our Scottish members until I double checked and saw Kirklees is a bit south of Scotland in Yorkshire :embarrassed:

TTFN Ian:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 09:33:46 pm »

The other show is at beale park.  Take it or leave it. Most people who go to Wicksteed know what it's about. Traders that go there seem to enjoy it. Mud and all and the vertical mist. People are wise enough to make their own decision. Indeed a couple of years ago I went to beale park. The boating was good but the trade side was disappointing. But that's my point of view. In fact I found Warwick disappointing in 2014, mainly due to myself and my expectations, not the traders. Each show is individual, but it does annoy me when new shows pick a date that clashes with an established show.

I'm with you on the clash of dates Klunk  I just asked  WHY ! 
Still I'm going to have a great time at Wicky park with or with out Traders. it's going to be fun.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 09:53:54 pm »

Bearing in mind that it is generally Martin and A few helpers and the Wicksteed guys doing the organising , would a second show really work ?.  This has been done in a similar way in the past by Stavros with a show at Llyn Padarn , this ran for a couple of years in what can only be described as one of the best views a Gathering could really have that I have been to.

I had no involvement in the set up but I am sure Dave will confirm it was a lot of hard work and stress.

Just my thoughts..

But if you do, Windermere is good for me , Rowed the full length enough times !!!  :} :}

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 10:30:30 pm »

Oh yes I was there at Llanberis both years. Fantastic weekend.
Next time you see Steamboat Phil ask him about the Pot and Ghost. It took me some time to drive there with a overloaded car full of boats and kit but to run my 26cc petrol Hydro boat on the big lake made it worth the drive. Then Ghost got the beers in on Friday night so all was well.

OK so sort it out , post it up and see who wants to travel up the M6 on a Friday to join in the fun . Given that the date is Ok I would give it a wiz in 2016.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 12:11:53 am »

....  I fancy coming up to Wickstead for a sail and some atmosphere:O)

TTFN Ian:O)

And there is is!
That's our new catchline!

Model boaters go to Wicksteed for the Atmosphere!

Nice one ian!  :-))

Come? .... Go to Wicksteed?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 12:32:43 am »

Wow that post certainly kicked up a good sized reply :o

Can I point out to all who answered that I posted the enquiry as a model boater not as a trader.

I am always looking for an enjoyable event/venue to sail at, and having not experienced Wicksteed thought, "this sounds good  like fun, what am I missing out on".

I get a big/huge kick out of sailing my models with folk on my wave length, and was looking for something like Wickstead which was a bit nearer home.

I appreciate that locating a suitable venue and finding volunteers to staff an event further North  would be a headache, but thought it worth asking.

Windermere was THE event to attend (for me) in the North, until the Steamboat Museum closed, but I was hoping that something would spring up to fill it's place.

I guess I will just have to save up and travel down to Wickstead next year and enjoy sailing with you guys. Any chance of a piggy back?

Can someone please send me a link which will give me all the details about the Wickstead event (like cost, booking and camping arrangements) for future reference.

In the meantime if any other event emerges please let me know.

Thanks to all those who chucked in their two penny worth or added their observations.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 01:23:20 am »

Don't worry about it, I have been trying to get there for the last 4 years !!!   %% %% <:( <:(

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 01:29:43 am »

And there is is!
That's our new catchline!

Model boaters go to Wicksteed for the Atmosphere!

Nice one ian!  :-))

Come? .... Go to Wicksteed?

Sorry...... I had to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 01:34:51 am »

Don't worry about it, I have been trying to get there for the last 4 years !!!   %% %% <:( <:(

You and me both, tho I'm hoping to this year
Maybe next year I'll even take a boat

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 08:36:34 am »

No no no !
Not Russ Abbot
Ive just gone off you know. This can only put right if you make it to Wicky park carrying a large box of beer. If you are not going to make it in person then send beer by post :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 01:56:15 pm »

AAAARRRRRGH! I retract my comment and am off to hide in the coal shed:O)

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.