The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

MFA Spearfish

(1/3) > >>

martincusick:
Hi.  I have managed to acquire the hull and deck for a MFA Spearfish.  The hull looks like a Fairy Swordsman which is good news.  Has anyone out there got any spare parts or part built projects or even a set of plans. Also I am planning a brushless fast electric set up.  Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Martin

U-33:
Not brushless, but I did own a rather rapid Spearfish back in the day. Mine had a Bullet 30 motor in it and ran from a pack of 24 x 4D nicad cells. At one point the Spearfish had an OPS .65 rear exhaust motor in it, and I was never sure which was the quicker.

martincusick:
Thanks for the reply.  How long ago was it you built your Spearfish?  In our club we have several hot brushless Fairy's and the hulls handle the extra power very well and perform great.

Thanks

Martin

U-33:
Ooh blimey Martin...at least twenty five years ago, if not more. As far as I know, mine was the first Spearfish to be bought in Sussex, or so the guy in the model shop (now long gone... <:( ) told me.

I had the Spearfish and my cousin down in Chichester had a Fantome, with the Fox 22cc spark ignition motor in it. With the OPS .65 motor, the Spearfish was a lot quicker than his Fantome...much to his annoyance.  %)

The Bullet 30 motor was an ideal motor for the Spearfish, it was as quick, if not quicker, than the ic motor until the batteries started to die away, but she would go a good 12-15 minutes on a charge. No speed controllers back then, just microswitches...all or nothing!

canabus:
Hi martin
We are playing around with a Spearfish at present and they are a very stable hull.
We have started with a 3639-750kv motor,60A car ESC, 3S battery and 40m x 1.4pitch prop.(speed OK).
Changed out the motor to 3639-1100kv, all the rest the same(speed nice and quick).
Changed out the motor again to  a D3548/4-1100kv and changed the battery to 4S(speed quick).
This hull can take far more power( like to try a 3648-1450kv or a XK3614B-1900kv).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version